Gear Review Manual edged cutting tools II

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Machetes...
    I have used machetes/ or simulated machetes for most of my life, from making forts as a kid, to cleaning up brush on the farm. I have used many types and lengths costing from $5.00 to $40.00. some were ok and some were a waste of money. many folks think a bush axe is the best and in some cases it is. But as a machete I need something that is usable with one hand fairly maneuverable in close spaces, and decent steel without a heft that would tire you out excessively.

My choice is a $5.00 machete that I have been using for over 40 years. It is a communist block machete that I purchased in a Army surplus store in Alexandria LA.
    Specs:
    23 inches long
    17 inch cutting blade
    Weight 24 ounces
    Made for the Czechoslovakian Army

Pros
    Good steel, holds an edge and dose not chip
    Cut of the blade sends more force to the top of the blade
    squared off front of blade allows the sharp lower edge to maximize the blow in a small area to cut larger vines and brush
    current edge has a sharper edge toward the handle for finer work (fuzz sticks etc.)
    good weight and mobility when cutting in confined areas.
    17 inch cutting area provides sufficent cutting area for all of your camp needs

Cons
    Grip is wooden and after 30 years started cracking even though I oiled it... Currently repaired with RTV tape
    Grip could be more ergonomic
    Did not come with a sheath.
    Even though I have looked I have not found any others in local arny /navy surplus stores...

Future thoughts...
    I'm thinking on a Kydex minimal sheath that covers the back and the edge with a basket to hold the tip so it is easier to remove and has less weight than a full sheath...

@Brokor Look at me another Gear review..

WD

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Alf60, Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Your images are not showing.

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

upload_2018-9-27_15-54-50.

upload_2018-9-27_15-55-17.

Sorry for some reason it won't let me modify the original post... and told me the previous post was bad....

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Bishop
  2. H.I.S Survival
  3. H.I.S Survival
  4. Bigfoot1986
  5. Hanzo
  6. munchy
  7. JtotheP
  8. jack_froste
  9. jack_froste
  10. Hanzo
  11. Seacowboys