Marlin camp carbine 45acp

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 24, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well I got it. Came from a Russian arms dealer out of CT. Probably bought one of the few detachable mag folding stock rifles left in the state.
    I don't hate the folding stock. Looking at pictures I just wanted to take it off and cut it up because it looks so wrong. But it works.
    It's a blow back gun so it's kind of heavy.
    I shot some of my hot 1911 approved 185gr cast lead over 8gr of unique rounds out of it. They're definitely supersonic out of that gun.
    I had a ridiculous 15 round 1911 mag that I never used in the pistol for obvious reasons, but it actually works with a carbine.
    Paid for by reselling factory 45acp ammo.

Oh the max loads I'm finding for unique under a 185gr cast boulit is about 7 to 7.2gr. So 8gr is definitely at least plus pee.
    I shot a shitload loaded like that in my 1911 and it never blew up, not once or even just a little bit.
    I didn't want to load up my cast lead ammo to be all weak, you know like like where some people do 2 grains super fast burning powder that barely cycles the slide and kicks the bullet out at 600fps. If got down to where I had to use my cast bullets to defend my self I wanted to see day through the target.

I found a camp carbine specific load.
    230gr lead over 6gr or unique kicks it out at 924fps. Think my 1911 approved 230gr are loaded with 7gr of unique.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    HK_User likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[YD][worthless]

Ganado, VisuTrac and ghrit like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

45ACP Camp Carbine = Unobtainum. I've been looking locally for years..

May have to go with Banshee
    [​IMG]
    since it look like an Evil Black Gun, not my first choice...

Pretty much everything else is in 9mm only. If that is the case, an M! Carbine would the next logical choice. With the well know issues with the magazine on that one.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Guy had a set for sale a week or two ago...9mm & .45acp Camp models, looked excellent..but wanted $2200 for the pair. :(

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Holly cow. I have a
    Holly cow!

I have a Camp 9 I bought roughly 30 years ago. Paid something in the $160-200 range for it brandy new as I recall. Uses the S&W 459/469/669 etc. series of mags. Had a 469 for many years, unreliable and sold it to a dealer. The Marlin is fun to shoot, almost no recoil.

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thinking there's a shoot em up show going on this weekend near you?

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

close is a relative term.

More like over an hour's drive.

I live int he Peoples Republic of Free Anchorage

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Palmer ? Some dude has a 30mm on tri-pods for sale...lol

techsar likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah they're "collectible" now.
    It's like my sig p232 it's just a little 380. Even before the plandemic I could have gotten double what I originally paid for it 14 years ago.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    techsar, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  10. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

Anyone wants to buy mine for $1100.00 just sing out!!! I'm your Huckleberry!!!
    I use the Shooting Star 10 rounders in mine and its a hoot. I did pick up a 25 round mag and used it once. It's a bear to load but unloads very quickly.:LOL:

techsar, Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Put it on gunbroker for 700 to $800 some one would buy it quick.
    Mine was $900 it came with the cool 1990s folding stock, the original wood, a rail with old but functional pantax optic.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have the marlin .45 ACP camp carbine but it's nothing like the picture.
    Too boot it has 3 major flaws .
    the nylon bolt stop gets pulverized, plan on getting another.
    the barrel unscrews its self while shooting. rifling twist is in the wrong direction.
    the stock can't take the recoil. broken in several spots.
    Midway has some parts but they are few.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ok I got the synthetic folding stock, I think I will sell the woody.
    I'll find a bolt stop because all my 45acp is pretty hot since I only like 1911s.
    I wonder if I could have a gun smith cut a barrel with normal rifling?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I took one on trade, took it out and shot it, then traded it for a Model 60. I couldn't hit tin cans at 50 feet with it.

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

hmmm... mine isn’t a tack driver but I can hit the broad side of a barn with it. Feels and shoots kind of like a scaled up 10/22 on steroids with accuracy not much different. Too bad yours was a dud.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I better take mine to the range and put it on paper. I was able to hit a can no problem at 30 to 40 feet with my hot 185gr "hunters supply" cast lead over 8gr of unique load.
    (Note 8gr of unique + 185gr bullet should only be used in modern 1911s and other strong action guns, no glocks or blow back guns aside from the camp carbine, max load in most reloading manuals is 7 to 7.2 gr under a 185gr)

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

From the looks of the damage to the gun I have, it might be wise to limit it to lite loads only.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I have both the 9 & 45 models, although I haven't shot them in years (I prefer AR style PCCs). Back in the day they were the best option for a pistol caliber carbine. Priced good, takes Smith or 1911 mags, and Choate even made a pistol gripped folding stock for it. I used to have two of the 9mm versions but sold off the Choate stocked one years ago as I didn't see the need for two of the 9mm versions.

The stocks are interchangeable between models without modification. One thing you do need to be wary of is that you can re-assemble the carbine and accidently install the feed ramp below the barrel instead of against it and in front of the chamber. I bought one of the 9mm's cheap because the owner thought it was broken after re-assembling it that way (he neglected to tell me it didn't work correctly and though he was getting the better of me).

I haven't had any issues with the nylon buffer from any of them but I do have a pack of factory spares I found in one of the shops part bins. The bin also had several other parts like ejectors, magazine housings, extractors, and the like, so I know where I can find parts if I need them. I've also had no issues of barrels unscrewing or accuracy. I sighted them in at about 30 meters or 100 feet with no problems keeping zero or shot spread. It kept about a 2-4 inch pattern off hand rapid fire. 20201105_232110[1]. 20201105_232147[1]. 20201105_232240[1].

Dannyboy53 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I want one
    [flag]

Dannyboy53 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Get $1,000 ready and a 45 can be yours.
    The 9mm ones are expensive and the 45 ones are more expensive, my guess is it's because they take 1911 mags.
    The 9mm one takes mags from some unremarkable semiautomatic S&W pistol from the 1990s that no one remembers.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7