Matthew check in...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Witch Doctor 01, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Just checking on Monkeys in the hurricane area...

the Witch Doctor is in the House...

chelloveck, Ganado, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey WD, Hunkered down, till the wind dies? Stay safe....

Dunerunner, Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Wind has passed... waiting on the flooding... expect all rivers to reach major flood stage by Wednesday, sooner if the dams up river release water earlier... 31 road breaches in my part of the county... most roads are impassible... we have power but many in the area will wait 5-6 days... some roof and building damage but nothing major....

GOG, chelloveck, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Thank goodness. I had been wondering how you were doing. Glad you are safe. Now time for clean-up

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey

Not trying to be nosy , but what county are in out that way . I've got family and friends out that way . The family I'm not so worried about , they made their own bed , it's the friends I'm wondering about .

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

I have friends and family in Duplin, Lenoir, Greene, Wayne, and Jones....

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey

Cool my parents were from the Beaufort , Pitt county area . And friends down in Brunswick . Just haven't talked to any of them , just wondering how the storm affected them . Probably give them a call later this week and check on them , let things settle down some . Thanks , and take care .

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey++

I hardly noticed the storm, probably because I brought in all the wind chimes. No worries here on the beach, the sky was cloudless and Carolina blue on Sunday and I even got some sun. There are still folks inland of me in Onslow and Jones county that are being told it may be the 16th before they get power restored. I have my freezers and fridge packed with stuff that's not mine, and I'm doing what I can to help out folks I know who are without power. It's amazing the goodwill that you can spread by bringing hot coffee to folks with no power. Gas station thought it was funny that I was back for more coffee so quick, and refused my money when I told them where the coffee had gone. :)

I really didn't see that many trees down in some of these areas, (I was scouting for free firewood) and there are whole neighborhoods surrounded by areas that do have power. I'm hoping this advisory from Duke Energy is a worst case scenario.

GOG and ghrit like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

most Electric Utilities, will work on the Main Lines, from the Big Distribution Centers, first... and then the Lines out to the Neighborhood Distribution Centers, next.... then, Lastly to the Lines into each neighborhood, and individual Houses last... It will take a while, if you local lines are down, or your House Feed, is the issue...

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey++

"WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" was the strangest reaction when the word got out that the power was back on. Folks with answering machines that run on house current spent the day calling their homes to see if the machine was back on.

Radio folks are still saying things like "The worst is yet to come" and making statements that sound like they expect a wave of water to be flowing out to sea from inland rains. I'm sure there is, and will continue to be some flooding, but even a "monster" storm doesn't make rivers suddenly stop flowing to the sea.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Just got a six page list of road closures... expect power back in some neighborhoods early next week... rising rivers are closing areas of I-40, I-95, and US 70. Boil water advisory with lots of folks unable to purify it...shelters are still in operation...

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Losing Patience Site Supporter+

We did OK in Myrtle Beach. A fire during the 'cane wiped out 5 homes on the north end. Nichols, SC is flooded, large areas of Lumberton NC are flooded, preps are underway for the flood waters to reach here soon. They predict the Lumber river to exceed it's past flood record by 4 feet. Looks like we're going to get our second 100 year flood in two years.

Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Survived here in Chowan NC. Roads washed out, bridges washed away, water everywhere. Gonna take along time to get everything fixed. Most flooding since Hurricane Floyd in 1999

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Out of curiosity , Has FEMA showed up to do any thing ?

15. Witch Doctor 01

Good news.... Bad News... the Good news; I have found a great way of securing my AO from any non-local predators....

The Bad news; I need a Matthew sized hurricane to do it....

Tempstar likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

17. Tempstar

Tempstar Losing Patience Site Supporter+

Limited national and state guard, tons of state troopers, haven't seen FEMA. Usually there are insurance company trailers set up at Wal-Marts, but have not seen those either. Mostly folks just doing for other folks that I can see. The big stars seems to be DNR and The Humane Society saving animals.

18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey++

Have you considered beavers?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7