Monkey Speak On Discord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mountainman, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Below is a post I made on the backup Survival Monkey site, Survival Monkeys - Index , after the original Monkey went down. For those that are not Monkey Speak and backup Monkey members it is in your best interest to join both in case this site goes down again or ever goes away for good. Monkey Speak is simple to setup and I have step by step instructions below.

It is painfully obvious now to many Survival Monkey members that they should have had some kind of backup to stay in contact with other members. Thanks to Motomom and others here that had some way of contacting you, you are reading this now.

I started Monkey Speak on Discord and pushed people to join it mainly so we could talk to each other and secondary as a place to meet up when The Monkey was having temporary problems. I never thought it would go down for this long or even have the possibility of going down permanently.

I’m not saying The Monkey is gone and I believe it will come back eventually. In the mean time everyone that wants to stay in contact needs to be connected through at least 3 sites. Remember 3 is 2, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

So as your 3rd site I offer you Monkey Speak on Discord. It has both text chat like the SM Shoutbox and voice if you would actually like to have a conversation. I prefer voice since it’s a hell of a lot faster talking then typing. If you have OPSEC worries about people actually hearing your voice then just use the text feature, no problem!

All you need to get going on MS is to follow the below setup instructions. I wrote this using a Windows 7 desktop and made it as simple as possible.

Note: To use voice it is advised to use ear buds/headphones and a external mic to avoid feedback and background noise issues.

Knock yourself out and get setup!!!

Click on this link: Join the SMonkey Discord Server!

Enter the user name you want to use.

Enter your email and password you want to use.
    Note: I use my online shopping junk email account so my real email does not get spammed. Have not noticed any unwanted emails from Discord if you have to use your personal email.

They will want to verify your email by sending to it. Open and verify it. Once verified it has you do the “I’m not a robot” BS. Once verified click “Continue to Discord” and you’re on. Pretty damn simple!!!

Now let’s get you setup on Monkey Speak for voice and text.

On the lower left of the page you will see an icon with your user name. Click on the mic and headset next to it if you see red slashes in them to make them active.

Now to setup voice.
    Click on settings next to the headset (kind of looks like a wheel).
    Under “APP SETTINGS” click on “Voice & Video”.
    Under “INPUT MODE” “Push to Talk” should be selected and I recommend using it.
    Your push to talk key is shown below that under “SHORTCUT”.
    To change it click on the key shown, “Stop Recording” will come up, then press any key on your keyboard you want to use.
    Click “Stop Recording” to select it.
    You’re done here, click “ESC” on upper right.
    Note: If you select the SHIFT key like I did only the SHIFT key on the left side of the keyboard works.

Now let’s get you on MS.
    Click the cigar smoking monkey on upper left of page. You are now in monkey text (Shoutbox).
    To get into voice under “VOICE CHANNELS” click “Monkey Speak”.
    It will authorize you and then you will see “Voice Connected” on bottom left of page.
    When you press your push to talk key a green circle will light up around your icon under “Monkey Speak”.

To log out click settings (wheel) on the bottom left of page next to your icon and name. “Log Out” is on bottom left of page.

Congratulations, you are now able to use Monkey Speak text and voice. I hope this was written so anyone is able to get this setup. In the unfortunate situation where something does go wrong please do not hesitate to post on this thread or PM me for help. There are 19 people already on there that would love to talk and text with you.

Note: Normal Monkey COC rules apply and cussing is okay as long as you are not overly offending someone or making an ass out of yourself. Overly offending or making an ass out of yourself will get you the rest of the day off. Have fun and be nice!!!

NOTE: This is very important. This site is NOT secure so do not post or say anything that you would not post in an open forum like SM or SM's

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Tully Mars, Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  2. Mountainman

Update on what I wrote above a few days ago. Monkey Speak has gone from 19 to 26 members as of today.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Am tempted....sorely tempted. ;)

Thanks for setting up an alternative means of communication. Discord is good...I use it regularly with my other interests.

Mountainman likes this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

FB..... Email...... and in Person work best fer me. Just can't seem to like discord no matter how much I try.

5. Mountainman

Sign up Chell. You don't have to go on voice if you don't want to. Text there is fine. When The Monkey went down there were people on the backup Monkey trying to figure out how to contact you. Don't make me fly to Sydney to find you, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Tully Mars, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mountainman

If someone on Monkey Speak or the backup Monkey has a contact for you that's great. If not you should sign up for both or at least one just so your there for updates in case The Monkey goes down again. On Monkey Speak you can always use text if you don't want to talk.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, chell, you don't have to use the voice part of discord if you do not want to.... You can interact strictly with typing....

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  8. Mountainman

chelloveck likes this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Will probably activate over the weekend...I will probably treat TS / Discord like I'm in the officers' mess, and skirt around discussion on politics, religion, and wimmin...though I'm comfortable talking about gunz apart from 2A politics. ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7