1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review Motion detecting security solar lights

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Sep 4, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Three years back I picked up 3 of the 36 LED solar security lights for $13.00 each a bit doubtful on the quality but in there fourth summer they are going strong.
    Not a bright halogen light but they kick in with movement with enough light to see larger animals and humans and let humans know they have alerted someone.
    They last until sun up in the summer in the winter a bit shorter to about 4-5 am both depend on how may times they are tripped.[​IMG]

Last year I picked up one of these brighter 60 LEDs with longer battery time and with the sensor you can adjust where it trips.

Bottom line they work well don't run up my electric bill and let intruders know that someone lives here and puts some level of doubt in their mind if they have been spotted by a human or security system and if they want to proceed further..
    GOG, Tully Mars, duane and 5 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey

I've actually been looking for some security cameras . So if you have any reviews on some good cameras , I'm all ears . I'd like to have some wireless types if possible . But I'd like to have a few of these lights as well , where did you buy these ?
    sec_monkey likes this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++ Site Supporter++

I have several of these to use as interior lighting post SHTF. Replace the motion switch with a simple on/off and hang the solar panel outside in the sun, extending the cord if necessary. Or, if the batteries are in the solar panel housing, just take it out during the day and bring it in and plug it up at night. A hell of a lot better, and cheaper, than any other grid down option except full solar. I have two for the bath rooms that come on dim at dark and go bright when motion is detected. They are single units with panel and lights in one housing. These I leave "as is" and take them out during the day. I Velcro them above the mirrors in the bathroom. They make a nice little night light till you need them.
  4. duane

duane Monkey++

Had a old solar path light, fell apart after a couple years, the snow blower may have helped a little with that. Set them up with rechargeable batteries and took leds out. Use the charged ones in a tap light and rotate as needed. Have in bedroom and use when go to bathroom etc. Couple of bucks invested and very handy. Often see solar path lights at dump, broken or batteries dead. Cheap, dirty, and handy.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey Site Supporter+

Believe it or not, model #62463 from Bunker Hill Security (purchased at Harbor Freight) is not a bad unit. While it isn't a top shelf system it comes with:
    1 8 channel H.264 DVR
    1 500GB Hard Drive
    4 6.0mm Long Range indoor/outdoor color cameras with IR-system will handle 8 cameras
    4 60ft Camera cables-longer cables are available on Amazon for cheap.
    1 1 to 4 way splitter power cable
    1 12v/2a power adapter for DVR
    1 12v/1a power adapter for 4pc cameras
    1 Mouse with USB Cable
    2500 hours of record time
    Audio: G.711- Microphone is not included.
    Picked up this system on sale for $100.00 at Harbor Freight earlier this summer.
    IMHO, this is just as nice as the $800.00 system that Sam's carries. We are happy with it.
    A "drawback" to some could be that it's a hard wire system, but I prefer them myself. Optional cameras available offer pan and zoom-they are nice for the front gates and the front and back doors;)

We have some of the lights like the last one @stg58 posted on our out buildings and around the place. They work bloody well. I took them apart when they arrived and sealed all seams with permatex before mounting. It should add a bit of protection against the weather.

Hope this helps.
    Dont and SB21 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey

Thanks , I'll definetly look into this system .
    Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid God Bless those who have served. Site Supporter

I bought a set of THESE to bring back from the US with me, early last year. (Cameras and security video recording equipment are very costly in Cambodia. Much cheaper to buy and bring from the US. Had I brought a few more sets over, I could have sold them and easily paid for my air fare.) I would suggest, after having used that specific system, to ONLY use them for very short distances, especially at night. I'm talking close range here.

I would suggest going with as high resolution as possible for video cameras, unless your sole intention is to try to stop someone from breaking in / stealing something from you. But, if you want ACTUAL good video quality to help you identify persons or other objects on the recording, I would definitely advise buying MUCH better quality equipment. I will not make that mistake again.

Now, back on topic. For our farm house, since we already had solar for the house (no mains power was available at the time), we set up a single battery and a few 10 watts, LED flood lights for perimeter protection, on a timed solar lighting controller. Couldn't have been better and still works great today:

I think I have less than $250 USD, all in, for this entire system.
    Tully Mars likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Because I am wired 6-12 volt DC through out the house I have wired some of the motion sensor lights as well .
    I have them through out the property as well so there is no sneaking around my place inside or out .
    Years ago I acquired a marine grade spot light wired remote control and modified it to have a camera and two LED lights ,One a broad beam and the other a spot and I can rotate this 360 and up and down.
    I have other harbor freight cameras around the house as well some on plain view and some rather hidden. all functional. .
    I have chickens and live in wine country so there is a lot of activity at night .
    My brother has the better systems with recording and phone access and that is what you really want to get into. It's paid off a few times helping police nail perps in the area.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey++

I do know a friend whose out building burned down due to a solar lamp like these that shorted. It was really strange as captured the entire thing on their security video camera. The building was completely gone before the fire trucks could even get there. I am not saying that I wouldn't use them but here but where I live you got to be really, REALLY careful about fire as surrounded by woods/forest so I would be careful where I placed them. Geez, if a fire gets started here the whole damn neighborhood would be gone in minutes...
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

That's why I don't get it sometimes. People have so much money tied up in their homes, cabins, etc., yet, they will look for the cheapest solar panels, controllers, etc., to install there. Why in all of God's creation, would someone want to take a chance, by purposely buying the cheapest stuff on the market? Buy quality products, people, regardless of what you are shopping for. Check it, make sure it is safe - or as safe as you possibly can.
    Bandit99 and Tully Mars like this.
  11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++ Site Supporter++

And where would one look for a quality solar night light? They seem to all be made in China. I would pay twice as much for a quality American made solar motion activated night light, just haven't run across any.
    Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

Fair enough. And, I agree with you. But, as I have learned on quite a few occasions, you can get two completely different qualities of manufacture when purchasing similar products, even in China. For example, I have found very good quality made solar panels that originated in China. On the other hand, I have also found some shite products as well, made in the same city, even. I guess just look around and examine the products prior to purchase, if at all possible?
    T. Riley likes this.
  1. techsar
  2. kateTV
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Vaejovis carolinanus
  5. T. Riley
  6. budgetprepp-n
  7. hitchcock4
  8. birddseedd
  9. SpikeandKari
  10. budgetprepp-n
  11. marlas1too