Motorola HTs

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Lancer, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I was just gifted a couple of Moto Saber (model: NTN4596DR) handy talkies. All the bits needed except the software and programming cable with breakout. I can obtain or fabricate the cable etc, but the software is a problem. Motorola still has it under copy-write and will actively go after anyone distributing it w/o a license.
    Anyone have any ideas or are these just unwieldly paperweights?

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

Contact a few different Motorola authorized two-way radio service shops starting with the closest one to you and ask them nicely how much to program a couple of sabers is probably your best bet. Good luck. Be nice. Motorola Radio Programming - Shop Cables And Software | Two Way Direct

sec_monkey and Lancer like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

be very very nice when askin

some will do it for about $150 [ 2014 prices ] some for less if yer super nice to them

some might ask for a lot more than $150

the software is extremely difficult to find legally and according to reports requires an ancient 386 computer running pure DOS. [ Lucy and I are ancient and we have a 386 and a 486 [dunno] [dunno] where our DOS software is though, some of our hardware and software was lost or stolen and so on ]

if ya need a 386 or 486 we might be able to help. the software is still not easy to find though

YMMV

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Sell 'em and buy some better radios, something like the TYT MD-UV380. I had a bunch of old motorola gear including Sabers. Still have a couple somewhere along with the car mounts. Damn good walkie in their day, but their day has past.

ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

that might be a gud idea .. ..

the cables alone cost $45 for a few models and $125 for another model.

not exactly cheap

programming might cost ya in the hundreds if ya can find a real authorized dealer that is equipped to do it

methinks one site said if they get bricked it will cost about $132 per EEPROM to get the EEPROM chips replaced [ old 2014 prices ] might be higher now, not sure.

6. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

I second this, I have the UV380 and LOVE it! Mine came with the programming cable and software (from Buy Two Way Radios) there are also some really good Code Plug creation/maintenance software out there.
    That being said, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who got some equipment from when one of the local radio shops closed down, and I think he might have the software you are looking for. Let me reach out and see if we can make it work.

J-Woodsman

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

the price is gud .. .. it is made in china though so it presents a threat to National Security .. ..

8. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

True, also there are some "aftermarket" firmwares that you can install. I don't use them, but it might ease the mind a little about the security of the radio.

J-Woodsman

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Aslong as the HTs are Analog, they pose NO NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUES... If they are Digital, but never connect to a Internet Connected System, They pose No Threats... So if they are Digital, keep them on an isolated Network, (Private) and never connect to any Digital Radio that has connected to an Internet Connected System....

techsar, Lancer and JediWoodsman like this.
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I manage a DMR repeater (Hytera brand) that is connected to an internet gateway. So far, it is one of the few pieces of ChinaTech that I have seen that does not "call home". On that topic, EVERY IP camera I have used will send outbound traffic to Chinese domains unless you close their ports in your router, as will most smart TV's.
    Back on topic, using radios with digital capability can add another layer of security when using them simplex as the digital can only be heard by another digital radio or a very few scanners, and the color codes in them add another layer.

11. Fad Gadget

Fad Gadget Neophyte Monkey

This seems like a dated thread, yet no resolution for the OP.

These are fine radios, I maintain a cache of them and they are better than any of the Chinese junk out there and actually better than the newer /\/\otorola radios being sold.

These radios cost govt users over $2500 a pop each in 1990 dollars. They were great then still great today for cheap.

1. The "model number" (model: NTN4596DR) is actually a battery part number.
    2. These radios were manufactured in several frequency bands and often the only way to figure out what you have is to open it up and take note of part numbers on the modules. There are mid band, VHF, UHF models, each with ~ 3 sub bands. ebay buyers and sellers usually have no clue what they are selling or getting. If you get an actual 440-470 MHz UHF radio, you are doing good.
    3. There are "analog Sabers" , Securenet Sabers, Systems Sabers. These are all based on same RF platform and RF modules. They differ in that a) analog Sabers and Securenet Sabers share same programming software (RSS). b) Securenet Sabers have digital encryption options such as DVP, DVP-XL, DES, DES-XL, DVI, DVI-XL and Fascinator *. c) Systems Sabers share same digital encryption capabilities as Securenet Sabers but have up to 255 channel capability, and other signalling and system capabilities. The Systems Sabers use a different programming software (RSS) and the encryption modules are different. * Fascinator is a CCI item and therefore you will not see these available "in the wild". If you find such a module, keep it to yourself or you will get a knock on the door.
    4. These radios are very rugged and usually still usable for Ham radio, GMRS, FRS, MURS, and Marine frequencies.
    5. Failure points are the volume and channel knobs. Batteries and antennas. You can get all these items on e-bay. The Chinese batteries are lithium ion and have 3 times the capacity of a normal NIMH and 6 oz lighter. They require use of a travel charger which is actually an improvement from the clunky OEM drop in charger.
    6. RSS software is available "on the net". The programming cable is also available from ebay.
    7. There is a newer similar looking radio, ASTRO SABER, which has all the functionality of the Systems Saber plus P25 digital standard, however it is larger, is not modular and is less reliable than the older models. It uses different programming software (CPS) and a different programming cable. It is very important to have the correct programming cable for the radio.
    8. Utilizing encryption features requires a key variable loader (KVL) with the correct algorithm installed. These can be obtained from ebay if you know what to look for. Inevitably they will be missing a battery. The T301X series will operate fine from a 9V battery.

Resources:
    Motorola SABER
    Motorola Saber Information Page
    Saber I/II/III or MX 1000/2000/3000
    Systems Saber

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7