Moved to politics,

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mysterymet, Aug 25, 2021.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I said nothing about Democrats voting for the civil rights act...back in the day the Southern Democrats were more to the reactionary right, than the more liberal end of the Republican political spectrum, who had generally been stronger supporters of emancipation and equal rights..it was the combined effort of liberal northern Democrats, together with Republicans who rolled the reactionary Southern Democratic Party voters.

The pity of it was that the GOP sensed the strong disaffection of the white Southern Democrats against their own party, and pursued a strategy to lure white voters away from the Democratic Party, (coined The Southern Strategy ) This had influenced the ways in which the GOP has in latter decades veered more towards the the reactionary - authoritarian political 'right wing' of the political spectrum.

The present day Democratic Party, and the Republican Party scarcely resemble their namesakes from back in the day, when Whites and Blacks joined together to overcome some of the toxic detritus that had survived Civil War reconstruction into the 'Jim Crow' era.

Brokor likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The 'you don't know what you're talking about because you are not one of us or have not lived with us' is an example of special pleading....it may help to limit the discourse to those who can claim the special qualification of having 'true' / 'authentic' experience, and undoubtedly some fellow American monkeys may find it convincing, but one should examine the biases of one's own perceptions as well as those of the interlocutor that is being challenged for not having 'boots on the ground' experience / knowledge..

I have no doubt about that at all, I am not suggesting that the 'progressive' end of the social / political spectrum is absolutely void of racism, just as I also don't think that all of the conservative end of the spectrum are utterly unrepentant racists either.

I have no reason not to accept your word on that, given that I believe you to be a person who acts in good faith, and I have no evidence to the contrary. That said, without context, I have not much to go on in evaluating what you have claimed. multi racial folk, often do it harder, than those who are (or can at least pass) as one or other of the dominant racial / ethnic groups within a population / culture. That is one of the negative aspects of the general human propensity towards tribalism...people who are perceived to have a foot in both camps may be viewed with suspicion and hostility...particularly by those who are obsessed with maintaining the purity of 'their tribe'.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Brokor likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Chell, If this keeps up, your looking at an Adult Timeout, AGAIN…

5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Charilton Heston a staunch Republican and a staunch NRA member marched in the civil rights protests of the 60' The civil rights act would never have passed without Republican support. Southern DemorcRats fought it tooth and nail. Australia has no room to talk concerning their treatment of Australia aborigines.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Cruisin Sloth and mysterymet like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'm in Chelloveck's corner on this one. Let's continue to keep it civil, please.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7