Moving to the City- Urban Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am leaving the hills, leaving the woods, the dirt road and the wild turkeys. I am headed into the city. Sometimes when viewing places there are so many cars, people and apartments, I feel like I cannot breath. For the next few years, we are looking at living in the city. Unless a miracle happens, we will be living among the sheep and maybe even in an HOA. Shudders

When looking at places I find myself looking for wild areas for escape. Routes in and out. I look for streams, drainage ditches etc. Would I want to drink from a park pond or a stream that runs in a park, not really but I look for water. Most apartment places are stories high and I know I cannot live higher then second floor. First floor you run the risk of break-ins, higher then second is hard to escape from.

Moving into an urban area has me looking at all my stuff. I think preppers are part pack rat because I have stuff. So it is a great exercise in downsizing and truly becoming a minimalist. Some are going to say do not do it, but it is a roll of the dice. I am betting that S will not hit the fan for a few years and I can safely stay in an urban area as a pit stop to get where I truly want to go.

So monkeys any tips or sage advice to give?

hank2222, Ura-Ki, GOG and 3 others like this.
  2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I would hold out for the miracle... I feel your pain. I don't think I could do it.

Altoidfishfins, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

HOA?

If I may, why have you decided to move to the city?

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you. Personally, I am trying to get things sorted so we can live further from the city.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If it's a move where finances prohibit you from living further outside the city, then you should make escape routes and have a solid B.O. plan --and hope your neighbors are good people.

If you're capable of financially providing a more suitable place to live, use the city residence as a temporary location until you can get it sorted and settled in a more rural environment.

We each would like to have an ideal living arrangement, but life rarely is ideal for many of us. The biggest concerns for you in a city will be water procurement, defense, fire safety, heating in winter without power, and evasive tactics/bugging out/travel restrictions in an emergency.

Dont, Ura-Ki, RightHand and 6 others like this.
  5. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Gasp! :eek:

Say it ain't so!

6. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Ura-Ki, Motomom34, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  7. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

HOA = How Other AHoles want you to live...
    Rancher

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

OMG! So sorry to hear this! I do not think I could ever accept living in the city again, even a small city. I actually don't even like having to go to town. I tend to disagree that "I am betting that S will not hit the fan for a few years" as I think we have just about come to the cusp and with an election of Hillary will see this nation in turmoil in short order which is why I have become so active recently. I think we are out of time...and the debt grows daily leading to a financial collapse. Knowing that you have more experience in this (I just got back stateside), I have to ask what makes you think this way? Or, perhaps it is more of a 'hope' dictated by personal events than logical reasoning?

But, we all know that Life sort of forces one down the lane it wants us to go even though we like to think we have control of our own lives. So...if I had to live in the city again I would approach it with a multi-tiered plan of 'strong defense of home' and a 'get out of Dodge' plan. You have all your preps which can aid you in a strong defense but pay special interest when you rent or purchase a dwelling in the city to security and secondary sources of water (lake, river, ponds) and if you can live near the outer edge of the city could mean a big difference in leaving it should you be forced to run.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Can't add much to what others have said, but hope you can get to greener pastures (literally) soon.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  10. sec_monkey

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Ganado, ditch witch, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I would definitely ring before dropping by!

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I dunno about the hype concerning TSHTF. I won't claim it's not gonna happen, just won't be all psychic about it.
    I remember the period leading up to 2012. Want a good laugh, check out our posts from shortly before that poo storm which fizzled. Yup, I know I definitely brought my chicken little antics down a few notches after that period in time.

[lolol]

13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I hate to hear it, but I'm sure it must be necessary.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is where I am at. Makes me think of my conversation with that lady from the NRA this weekend. They call every Sunday, preaching that Hillary is going to take my guns. I pointed out that they (NRA) said the same thing if Obama was elected then re-elected. The only ones that tampered with my 2A rights is the state.

So when weighing the decision, we are considering this city move as a pit stop or temporary stay prior to making the real move. Why give up financial security, healthcare, and make a premature move because s may hit the fan or not.... I think this move will be a huge learning experience plus we have goals/ and a few plans that need to be done while city living.

My brain is already working in a different way. I love the things I am seeing and thinking of. Example: someone I know just moved to the 4th floor of a huge building. There are oodles of apartment building within a few acres. I get really claustrophobic when there. So back to this 4th floor building- the elevator and stairs are so narrow that you cannot get a couch in there. Even standing up, it will not fit. Now imagine a fire and everyone evacuating at the same time. I think stairways have become narrower over the years. I do not think those buildings could empty in time. I am learning better crowd awareness, area awareness. I used to look for 4 legged predators, now I think 2 legged. When I view a place, I ask myself how safe do I feel , what sounds am I hearing? Where are the major arteries. Water?

15. sec_monkey

[winkthumb] Moto

16. sec_monkey

17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The true definition of a "prepper"is someone who adapts to changing circumstances and overcomes obstacles. To the best of your ability, adapt everything you know so you can apply it to your new environment. Remember, you are a pioneer in a new world. Don't forget to take the time to enjoy all the pleasurable things a city has to offer

Ganado, GOG, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  18. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

The occupants will want to take as many belongings with them as the fire is burning. Thereby clogging the stairwells even more.

Remember the recent plane crash and all the people grabbing their carry-on luggage from the overhead compartments as the fire engulfed the plane?

Motomom34, RightHand and sec_monkey like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Good Luck with the move to the big city!
    May it be short and brief!

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Where are you going? What city or town? Are there any other options close by? Adapt and over come, not just a motto, but the true meaning of Survival! Before I moved out of Oregon, I was forced to live in an appt, and had very little in actual stores. BUT, I had a plan, tools, and the means( training) to over come just about any thing that could happen! The reasons I am asking about where you are headed, is the water issue! If you are in an area prone to ground shift ( earth quake) or other natural disasters, you definitely want to look at the water in that area! IF you are down stream when something happens, what is being flushed into the water? That can mean the difference in having usable water or not, also, would you have to cross any water to get home? how would you be able to do that? Finally, how to be the Grey Lady that no one notices! Field craft is something you will need to learn, how to be seen with out being seen! Movement in a certain way can really impact your chances! Appearances are every thing, what you drive, how you dress, what you have on you that others see. all things to look at! With a bit more info, I can help get you a working plan for a change in your life style, even if just for a little while!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  1. Bunker Bob
  2. Tempstar
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. AD1
  8. john316
  9. Brokor
  10. Dark Jester
  11. chelloveck