Moving to the City- Urban Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 6, 2016.

1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I would not do it until I saw what the election brings. Won't be any riots in my pasture but I am not so sure about the city. I am going out of the country on November 13th and can't avoid it. I would like to stay home until I know all are complacent again, resigned to the outcome, whatever it is, and making new plans for 2020.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. People will be lugging all sorts of stuff and those stairwells will become death traps. That is why no higher then 2nd floor. I think I will end up in a condo or town home because I do not think we could live in an apartment.

That is an issue with me. I would like to learn how to be a grey lady but it goes against my character. I smile, say hello to strangers.

AD1 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I can help you with this! It's not hard, but takes a mind set, and possibly a change in wardrobe! Being an out going type of person is actually a benefit to this, people "SEE" you, and they think, ok, cool, not a threat, but they quickly dismiss you because you don't stick out! If they see you again, you are off the radar! Like wise, being as non descriptive with out looking like you are trying to hide, or are up to something is the real trick! How you dress and how you carry your self really plays to becoming the Grey Lady, and how you act around others, and how you sound to them can really have an effect. KNOWING your surroundings and the people with in your A.O. really helps! Try this, Take the Hubby and find an out door setting like a Coffee shop, sit facing each other and watch every one that passes by, note which ones stick out and the ones that you see but don't see, the ones that slip by your notice! In a short amount of time, you will get a sense for how people blend in naturally! Now look at how these "grey" people are acting and carrying them selves, Start working on these things, practice together, see how easy it is to spot each other in a crowd. Look at how to dress, natural colors and types of clothing really play into this, body language is also a big one, and finally Foot Wear. Believe it or not, foot wear can mean every thing. Both men and women always check out a persons shoes of boots. Look at peoples feet, what do you see and what does that tell you about that person?

Mountain mama, Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I will Pray for your survival!

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

It is really going to depend on the city you wind up in.

There are locations in Detroit that I'd feel pretty safe in (it's not all gangville) even during a race riot (but not full on econ. collapse for too long).

I don't think I'd want to be in Baltimore nor Chicago not even the burbs. But Nashville would be ok and probably Chatanooga too.
    Atlanta might be ok outside of the ringroad.

So where ya going? Maybe there are monkeys in the locale that can point you to safe zones in/near your intended city.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

You downplay your friendliness...you probably pet Grizzlies when you run across them in the woods ;)

The weird part is they probably lick your hand and let you play with their babies...

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[LMAO] You know me well. @Ura-Ki mentioned shoes. I notice shoes. I have been know to stop people in the grocery store to comment, compliment or discuss footwear. I guess I should work on that friendliness.

@3M-TA3 looking at Denver Metro area.

chelloveck, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If you decide on the Denver metro area, let me know and I will introduce you to my daughter by another mother who owns a business in Denver as well as living there. She also does segments on KUSA TV in Denver.

I've been her Mama Dee since she was in nursery school

GOG, Ganado, chelloveck and 6 others like this.
  10. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

No real comment on your move all the best in the move but the thread title reminded me of when the Foghat album first came out and three guys living in a farmhouse with the largest city of 40,000 was 40 miles away wore out more than a few copies of:

[​IMG]

Going to the city, got you on my mind,
    Country sure is pretty, I'll leave it all behind,
    This is my decision, I'm coming home to stay this time.

'Cause I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city,
    Fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

Breathing all the clean air, sitting in the sun,
    When I get my train fare, I'll get up and run.
    I'm ready for the city, air pollution here I come!

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city.

I'm like a fish out of water, I'm just a man in a hole.
    The city lights turn my blues into gold.
    I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
    I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'm tired of laying back, hanging around,
    I'm gonna catch that train, then I'll be city bound.

I ain't no country boy, I'm just a homesick man.
    I'm gonna hit the grit just as fast as I can.

I'll get off on Main Street, step into the crowd,
    Sidewalk under my feet, yeah, traffic's good and loud.
    When I see my inner city child, I'll be walkin' on a cloud.

I'm a fool for the city, I'm a fool for the city...
    I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
    I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
    I'm a fool, (Fool for the city) A crazy fool, (Fool for the city)

I'm a fool yea, (Fool for the city) A fool for the city, (Fool for the city)
    (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
    I ain't no country boy, woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
    Woo! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
    A Fool for the city (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city)
    Who! (Fool for the city) (Fool for the city

11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

If I absolutely had to be in a city over 50K, I would choose Salt lake City. I'm not LDS, but I sure like the way they run a city. I worked there for over 10 years and still don't hate it (much).
    [peep]

chelloveck, Brokor, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I "visit" Salt Lake pretty often, and have to say, its' one of the cleanest and safest feeling cities I have ever been to! Denver isn't as bad as people outside CO. think it is, just have to find your place and try and fit in!

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

If you can make it in the back woods you can in the city also just have to come up with your own back woods in the city there's plenty of it if you look for it l had to do it my self many times I bow fished in the city for a long time and had all the best spots to my self slingshot hunting was the best.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

First, you know you will have to get out of the city in a SHTF situation. That in and of itself is an advantage.
    Second, you know you have to develop and escape plan and you have already started.
    Third, you will undoubtedly have to fight your way out so be prepared for that.
    Fourth, stash your support stuff in storage facilities along your escape route, even a small locker along the way could contain a stock of supplies you cannot carry initially but could recover later.
    Fifth, you will need an escape vehicle. I would suggest a sturdy 4X4 like a Suburban, Land Cruiser or Ford Expedition.

And lastly, a place to go that is within reach on one tank of fuel or have a store of fuel stashed enroute.

chelloveck, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Don't do it!

Brokor, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  16. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with being friendly with people. Just always have a plan in the back of your mind to kill them all at the first sign of trouble.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Colorado Gun Laws | Colorado State Patrol

How do I obtain a Concealed Weapon Permit?

A permit to carry a concealed weapon may be obtained through the Sheriff of the county in which you live. You must meet certain requirements to qualify for the permit. [C.R.S. 18-12-203] Consult your local Sheriff's Department for more information obtaining a permit. The permit and a valid photo identification must be carried with the handgun at all times. A permit is not required and a handgun is not considered concealed when a person is in a private automobile or other private transportation. [C.R.S. 18-12-105 (2)]

Colorado Concealed Carry Permit Information

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Do you have to move "into" a city, or just near one? It may be possible find a nice neighborhood on a cul-de-sac or dead-end street that backs up to some private/public green space.

19. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Try and live out in the burbs if you can and try and make sure there aren't any super bad areas between work and home. Think about keeping a folding bike in your trunk along with your ghb. Some hoa's are worse than others. I personally dislike them a bunch. Mine is a PIA on some things but not on others. You can be a suburban prepper like some of us.

Ura-Ki, chelloveck, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bear in mind that as cozy as a cul de sac might be, there is often only one way out short of a fence bustin' 4wd, and even then ---

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  1. Bunker Bob
  2. Tempstar
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. AD1
  8. john316
  9. Brokor
  10. Dark Jester
  11. chelloveck