Mud Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

After a true winter with lots of snow, it is now mud season. A few weeks ago my friend called and said I may not want to come visit because of the mud. I took my son's car and barely made it through. It is always that one patch that wants to suck you in. Mud season is a time when driving gets fun. No matter how many times the town grades the road (if they can) the mud wins. Only once did I bury a vehicle. The tractor finally got it out.

Happy Mud Season Monkeys!! Hope you are prepared

mud-season-Jared-and-Corin.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    GOG, BenP, tacmotusn and 14 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Word!

20190318_092849.

tacmotusn, BenP, Meat and 7 others like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Mud is gone for now. Dust is here, in spades. (Rain is forecast, followed by snow. Joy.)

oldman11, BenP, tacmotusn and 5 others like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't have that here.

BenP, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

No mud here, but we got swamp real good!

oldman11, BenP, tacmotusn and 3 others like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We go from Mud to Dust in 24 hours without rain, and Dust to Mud in 20 minutes of Rain....

oldman11, BenP, tacmotusn and 5 others like this.
  7. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Its a loosing battle with mud, until the frost goes out of the ground. We are right in the middle of it here.

BenP, tacmotusn, Meat and 3 others like this.
  8. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The past year we have had a crazy amount of rain, we have been in mud season all winter. The rain has been killing cattle at an alarming rate, they can't get enough calories from hay to deal with long term cold rain.

oldman11, tacmotusn, Meat and 2 others like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

We go through mud and dust cycles all year here, but I only see mud after I get a few miles inland. :)

Dad used to push mud around with the tractor on our 1/4 mile long driveway in Michigan. Put tons of gravel on it and it all just sank into the mud. After years of runny mud on the driveway we started using a tiny triangular garden hoe to make drainage channels for the water during the spring thaw. With a little work in the fall to get the driveway nicely crowned and packed down before the first freeze we finally had a driveway that was passable to cars, and only required an occasional scratch with a hoe to drain off the puddles.

BenP, tacmotusn, Meat and 3 others like this.
  10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

LOL, I get no snow, but lots of rain in different seasons in different amounts. I also get not much in the way of mud. My sand hills just do not make good mud. However, give me mostly dry spells for a month or less and my AWESOME SUGAR SAND on my 1.2 mile drive from house to mail box develops about 7 or 8 real good SAND TRAPS that if any fool slows down too much or intentionally comes to a stop, will drag your vehicle to a stop, and when you try to get moving again will suck your vehicle down until the drive axle or bodypan is firmly sitting on soft fine sand. One guy in a Crown Vic, whose profession you can probably guess, got in here okay, and then got stuck 3 times leaving. Can anyone say Barney Fife?

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Alaska has two seasons. Winter and Construction.

I can tell Breakup has started, the beer bottles and dog poop are starting to show as the snow melts down in the park across the street....

GOG, Gator 45/70, tacmotusn and 2 others like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Back in my carpenter days in the Sierras we used to joke about our two seasons, Winter and Mud.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Odd year here Mud Season started in October and thus far has persisted to this day. Usually MUD Season is February, March and April. Even the hogs are sick of the mud!

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just spent a few days back East. Mud season is in full swing. Places where drainage is blocked or non-existent have mud a foot deep in places. The boys and I spent time working on Grandma's driveway. We dug some trenches so the snow melt stays out of the driveway. But the roadway was a mess.

IMG_0090.

IMG_0095.

GOG, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If you get an old style box springs and drag it behind the Kubota,Adding a little weight to it
    The thing will grade the driveway after several passes....

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or a section of used chain link fence with some cinder blocks to start, and unloaded to finish.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We have dragged fields with old box springs. It works good. Issue back East with mud season is frost heaves.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Nope, I guess we aren't taking the short cut through the back 40 to get to town.
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7