My full address in the FCC database?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Bandit99, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have a GENERAL ham license (because I am too lazy to get my Extra but that's another story...)And, I came across something that sort of annoys me and sends up red flares...

In the "Call Sign LookUp" I just realized that my full address is in there, along with my license level, Call Sign and date of issue and expiration and etc. I am not exactly comfortable with my address being in there...but I think part of the FCC guidelines and certainly part of Public Record.

Question: Is there a way to delete it and only have a zip code?
    (I doubt it but have to ask. I think the full name and address of any transmit location has to be in Public Record for the obvious reason)

I suppose I am being paranoid and I know that there a numerous databases with my name and address in them but...

sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To my knowledge, there's no way around it. The feds insist.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Part of the Licensing Process... and it is REQUIRED By Federal Statute... Communications Act of 1934 as Ammended...

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. ghrit

Also annoyed here. Just goes to show that there's a price to be paid for some privileges that are not enumerated rights.

Brokor, sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[pop]

Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Note that if you move you need to update your address as well. One of the reasons I don't give out my call sign in public.

7. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Updated mine... Now only shows PO Box number. FWIW, but I like my address is not in the database anymore.

sec_monkey, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Exactly as Sour said... PO Box is what mine is listed with. But when SHTF, people will not be able to look you up unless it's not a total lights out event.

Oh and that BIG antenna farm is a dead give-away!

Rancher

9. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Antenna farm is made with 16awg stainless wire and insulators made from gray 1/2" PVC... Nearly invisible even looking out the window and knowing where it's located. Need stainless on the coast here. Works great just is a little shorter that copper antenna. BTW old enough to hold an ADVANCED ticket, imagine that...

Tully Mars, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If the powers that be decide to decend on an area you can be sure all the communications will be jammed so it's all an exercise in futility as all the cell towers have special apparatus and abilities and if it can call out they can listen in.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    3M-TA3 and Homer Simpson like this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have a call sign license plate on the Bronco but not an issue. My neighbor and I go halfsies on a PO box (he is a ham as well) so he, my XYL, and myself get "anonymized" for one fee. And yeah, the back nine has an antenna farm out there. Not like DoD does not have my fingerprints, the tax office has my address, internet and power companies have my location, and worse of all the ex wife knows where I live. I will not post my call sign on a forum though because it does give my AO, and the grid square narrows it a lot.

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Semi-off topic - I have vanity plate as well: just not my call sign.
    "DPLRABLE"

Gator 45/70, sourdough145 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The P.O. Box is a great idea, and it's not the Fed's I would be worried about.
    There are a lot of crazies out there, some of them are HAM's, too.

Tempstar, Tully Mars, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  14. Bandit99

So, if I can get a P.O. Box at my local Post Office (nothing else here) then I can change my FCC data to reflect this...hmm, sounds like the way to go. Thanks! It seems to be the best work-around.

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Consider the bright side in that some years ago, like 25, the FCC would release license information and various ham groups would get and distribute it. The info included your SSN in addition to your address and phone number.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  16. BTPost

Actually NO.... A P.O. Box doesn't give you anonymity in the FCC DataBase, as you were required to give them the LAT/LONG of your Station on your Licensing Request, or renewal.... It just doesn't Post on the Header, but is still in the DataBase... Go to QRZ.com and Lookup your Callsign, and go to "Details" Menu... There is the LAT/LONG of your Station...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  17. BTPost

Actually the Antennas usually give away the fact that there are Radios in the vehicle.... when the 2006 White Toyota 4X4 Pickup Truck is parked at the InLaws place, We move the ControlHeads into a Box, Stored in the House, and the Antennas are stored in the Bed, under the Locked Canopy... The only Indication of the Install, is the two Ball Mounts &vSprings mounted on the sides of the Truck.... It only takes about 5 Minutes to reinstall, and be ready to communicate... Also in Alaska the Callsign Plates are FREE, but you ARE REQUIRED, to Have HF Capability, in the Vehicle, to get them...

ghrit and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. Bandit99

Well, in some cases the U.S. Government hasn't changed. I speak of Medicare which I had to sign up for this month and, to my utter astonishment, they use the person's Social Security Number as their Medicare account number! They even go so far as to include it on mailings to you! Are they out of their minds or perhaps don't give a damn? I was livid! However, it appears that they are going to change it this year and give all new numbers and cards... And, to think we actually pay for this crap that they call government...

Tempstar likes this.
  19. ghrit

Yeah. In the "near future" new cards with new ID numbers are to be issued. Dot gov has been blundering down that trail since dot mil stopped using SSNs for mil IDs.

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I lost my license due to moving too often and not renewing information in a timely manor .

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. Bandit99
  9. DKR
  10. BTPost
  11. DKR
  12. BenP