My gun debate has ended.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Kamp Krap, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Had to go out and about today and drove By Larry's Gun Shop in McLeansboro IL and thought I should stop on the way back home and see what they have new since I had not been in there since 2020. Plug for Larry's since they are one of the GoTo Shops in Southern IL when you can't find what you want or need any place else.

I have been debating for a long while whether to get a New .45colt Ruger Vaquero or a new .357mag (2020 remake) Colt Python. I hate using my old Pythons now days and putting anymore wear and tear on them. And I like my Ruger Blackhawks which is pretty much what the Vaquero is and like my Pythons in the 1985-1992 age range.

So when I stopped in Larry's a bit ago they had one of each in the case. Played with both a bit and I am just not feeling $1800 worth of love for the new Pythons. I guess I was feeling $900 worth of love for the Vaquero though since I go back to pick it up Saturday morning :) Not feeling the love for the price of a box of 50 45colts now days but that is another story :)

I should add while I have autos particularly of 1911 nature, I am a wheel gun guy and speed loaders are my friends :) Nothing against the auto guys and Gals, old style heavy hog legs just fit me and my hand better.

Debated for a long time what heavy hitter to replace the old Python was going to be. I like the Rock Island 200 .38s I have been packing around. 38s are a good round and quite lethal if you have good Gun Control. .357 mag better and good knock down power with HPs COUGH and can shoot the much cheaper .38s :) So I debated the Vaquero and Python for a couple of years and settled today on the hard hitting .45colts in a gun that feels better in my hand than the new Pythons. The price difference was a factor but not the determining factor. More Power, feels better, and half the cost. Wish I could love the new pythons like I do my old pythons but there is just something missing in the new ones, maybe its just that they are mass produced instead of individually crafted. For me and my daily carries it has to be more in the relationship than I depress the trigger and it pushes the bullets :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Glad you're back KK.
    Was beginning to think we'd lost you in the internet wilderness.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    SB21, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Could you please edit the old name out :) and happy to be back

4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sure. Done. Didn't see your earlier post thought this one was your first since you got back.

Gator 45/70 and Kamp Krap like this.
  5. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Going a lot more gray post retirement and it has been going very well keeping the rabid local and regional wildlife off my porch :)

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nice pistola!! What leather are you looking at?

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

I love my 45LC Vaquero! Something about shooting that pistol just tickles me. Picked up a Rock Island "Baby Rock" in .380.
    So cute but little gritty trigger. Will fix that after I get a few hundred rounds through it. Looks real nice next to the Rock Island 1911 in 45ACP (1000 rnds plus and still love it), just like the little brother. Never got a Python, just couldn't justify the price tag. Picked up a used Security 6 for pretty much dirt cheap and found it to be a real nice revolver. I am content, for the moment.

8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

The Vaquero is a hoot to shoot! It’s expensive to shoot factory ammo, but pretty reasonable to reload for. Save that brass!
    You can reload it very stout, or very light for training or Mrs. Krap. It’s Mrs. Crafty’s favorite.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Very nice KK, Wish I had that and you had a boot up you're azz ol boy[ROFL][ROFL][boozingbuddies][YD]

Dunerunner and Kamp Krap like this.
  10. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Absolutely reload all my 45LC brass. Cast my own 250gr round nose bullets too. Got lucky and traded some odds and ends for 10 boxes of 50 rounds factory rounds. That plus the 500 rnds of reloads and feeling pretty well set for 45LC ;-> Was going to cast for .357 bullets but it was so inexpensive I felt I would save the lead for the Vaquero. Working at the range Saturday so I will get to exercise some of my toys... Life is good.

CraftyMofo and Dunerunner like this.
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I have actually never fired a revolver in my life. Are they nice to shoot? Maybe I should get one.

12. Dunerunner

Reminds me I have to renew my range membership... Thanks @sourdough145 !! [winkthumb]

Kamp Krap and SB21 like this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Me neither. ;). They look like fun.

mysterymet, SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Dunerunner

I have always believed that being on the receiving end of a self defense situation facing the barrel and cylinder of a revolver would be like looking into a cannon, and intimidating,

Homer Simpson, Seawolf1090 and SB21 like this.
  15. hot diggity

Can't beat the reliability and safety of a revolver in the hands of an experienced shooter. Makes immediate action for a misfire easier too.

16. hot diggity

For me, there's nothing more intimidating than the view down the muzzle of a blued revolver with the kind of honest holster wear that leaves the edges of the muzzle polished to bare steel.

17. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

My first post-college center-fire purchase was a 4" S&W Model 66-2. $267 out the door. Shot it enough to give it the smoothest non-tweaked trigger I'd ever pulled, until I tried the trigger on my dad's Target Model of 1950 .44 Special. Now that was smooth! But the .357 is only in second place by a very thin margin.

I picked up a convertible Blackhawk a few years ago in .45 ACP / .45 Colt. I replaced the too-skinny, too-abrasive grips a year or so ago. Much more comfortable. The fun part of this gun was working up loads for both calibers that use the same sight picture without needing to adjust the sights.

And yes, MM & HD, they are fun to shoot. I have more semi-autos than revolvers, but the revolvers are, for me anyway, more accurate. And they have more character and soul. Left Side. Right Side.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Kamp Krap, jim2, hot diggity and 5 others like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Umm , yes ,, was about 17 yrs old ,, picking up a buddy from work one night behind a building ,, was banging on the back door to let my buddy know I was there ,, a cop snuck up behind us ,, or he thought he did ,, he yelled " freeze ,". , thought that was strange , cause it was winter time and about 25 degrees anyway ,, turned around and starring down the barrel of a chrome plated 357 . Yea ,, it's a little intimidating ,,, much more so when the barrel is shivering ,,, like the cop was more scared than we were .

Kamp Krap, jim2 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I got a chuckle seeing the shocked wide eyes of the idiot attempting to break in by back door one day.... staring down the barrel of my Security Six .357. He rabbited. Only state and federal laws regarding not back-shooting a fleeing felon saved his life that day.

20. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Revolvers definitely have their place in SHTF scenarios due to custom loads and not needing a magazine. Doesn’t matter what you use, if you know how to shoot and have the nerves for it. I like big slugs too.
    Jim

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7