My M91/30

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by reloader762, Aug 9, 2019.

1. reloader762

reloader762 Boolit Master

Ever since I purchased my first Mosin rifle a M44 about twelve years ago for $75 out the door I've always wanted a nice M91/30 but life got in the way and before you knew it prices had when sky high and even at that it was hard to find one in any kind of nice condition.

Well twelve years later an thanks to my brother who had bought a number of M91/30s and stashed they away for $100 each with the tag still on the rifles, he showed me a couple he wanted to sell to finance another purchase so I picked the 1933 HEX receiver and paid him his $100. The bluing was almost 100% but the old Russian Red stain lacquer was starting to show its age So I decided to refinish the rifle.

I'm a sucker for natural wood and the stock had good lines and I always wanted a blonde stock Mosin so thats how I refinished it. While I was at it I cork bedded the action at various pressure points and free floated the barrel, other than the stock color change it's pretty much like it came from the arsenal.

One of the great things is that it's an excellent shooter with close to a mint bore. I like to cast all my own bullets for target and hunting purposes and this rifle has a nice deep throat and I was more interested in using a heavy bullet with a nice meplat so I had Tom over at Accurate Molds modify one of his molds dia. wise to fit my rifles throat better. I ended up with a 215 gr. FN bullet that shoots great and fits the throat of the rifle nicely, doesn't have much bullet jump and shoots very accurately and is a hard hitting bullet.
    1933 Tula HEX receiver M91/30
    [​IMG]

My go to target and hunting load using the Accurate 215 gr. FP bullet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I have heard different methods on dealing with the primers...how do you do it, and what are your thoughts regarding?

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

@techsar, are you asking about reloading with Berdan primers?

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...or relieving the pocket and removing the anvil so that Boxer primers can be used...

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Berdan primer reloading is just about as easy as Boxer primers. Our Monkey friends outside the U.S. do it all the time. I find that it's just one added step, but worth it to use available (free) brass and steel cases. I've settled on only two, GP11 for the 7.5 Swiss, and steel 7.62x39. Once you have the RCBS Berdan primer tool set up for whatever cartridge you're loading, it's a breeze.

The learning curve to get the tool set up just right is STEEP. There are no good videos on-line on how to use this tool, and it will take a few broken ($6) tips to get things sorted. Once you have the adjustments right, lock them down and never move them again. You can then change tips only every thousand rounds (or more) and enjoy loading and shooting Berdan primers of the correct size without disturbing the depth setting.

There are only two sizes of Berdan primers I'm aware of available in the U.S. and they will cover the 7.62x39, which has its' own primer size, and the other large primer that fits most large cartridges but nothing British. (They use a larger size that I haven't been able to source)

It's a novelty, niche, quirky sort of thing, but it gives me options.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  6. reloader762

All my berdan primed cases are steel which is my SHTF stash but as far as berdan primers go if were going to load those I would use the hydraulic depriming method and I would also use the correct dia. berdan primer of which unlike boxer primers which basically have four sizes berdan primer can come in multiple dia. depending on the cartridge they are used in.

Years ago you could pick up Russian berdan or boxer primer which are made by Primers for cartridges of service, sportive & hunting arms | АО Муромский приборостроительный завод they made PMC, WOLF and TULA primers, but are banned from importing primers into the US.

I really have no intentions of using berdan primed brass for reloading as I have more than enough once fired boxer primed brass I've picked up over the years at the local range, gun shop and deals I've found on the internet. I got 500 pieces of new PPU last year a guy was selling along with some other hard to find brass. I sold off all the brass I or family couldn't use at a discount and after all was said an done I got those 500 case for around $7. I kept half and gave my brother the other half.
    [​IMG]

This post might be of interest if you want to make you own tools for depriming and converting berdan primed case as some of the berdan primed cases are only within a couple thousands in size larger than large rifle boxer primers.
    Berdan to Boxer Conversion Method

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Yard Dart and Dont like this.
  7. Years ago, I heard of drilling out the Berdan primer pocket and using a battery cup shot shell primer. Sounds like last resort, and low pressure loads. I never had the nerve to try it myself..

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

That's plain cool. Nice group even if it's just 50 yds. I have a Mosin 91/30 but the bore is rough. Bought it about 10 years ago for a song.

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have one M91, two M91/30s, a Chinese T53 Carbine and a Finn M39. The Finn is prettiest on the outside but has a pitted bore. My first M-N buy before I knew what to look for. I call her The Prom Queen With Bad Teeth!
    Most expensive was about $150.

reloader762 likes this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have wanted a Mosin Nagant ever since I shot a friend's last Summer. It was made in 1939 and had that flip up bayonet on it. It kicked like a mule but highly accurate. I will definitely buy one if I ever come across one...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. reloader762

That would be the M44 carbine variant, Mine was made in 1945 but saw little if any use combat wise. It has a excellent bore and is an excellent shooter. Mine sports a no gunsmith S & K scout mount so it easily put back into original configuration fairly quick if need be.
    [​IMG]

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sweet! Just out of curiosity, you have any problem getting ammo for it? I ask because I shot so much of my friend's that intended to purchase a few boxes but to my surprise couldn't find any around here (Northern Idaho) however, that could be because it was about the start of hunting season so...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. reloader762

Well I don't buy commercial ammo for my 54r rifles, back when the 440 rd. surplus spam cans we in the $60 to $80 range it's about two to three times that price now if you can find it, I bought up a stash of the good Russian 1980s mfg. date steel case ammo an put it away for a rainy day before prices got crazy.

I pretty much started reloading for the 54r right after I got the M44, all the reloading components brass and bullets were and are still readily available but my 54r rifles get a steady diet of cast lead bullet I cast myself with several molds by Lee and Accurate, I actually haven't bought a jacketed bullet for my handguns and rifles for probably 10 years. For the ranges I shoot and hunt at there is nothing I can't do with my cast lead bullet that a jacketed bullet would do any better.

Commercial ammunition is readily available online, it's hard to find it in most stores even around here. SGAmmo has a pretty good selection of good hunting ammo, PPU, S & B would do just fine. They also carry the steel case ammo as well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yeah, the days of 39.95 spam cans are gone, but dansammo.com does have some 147gr Russian spam cans (and cases) in stock for....ouch...149.99 & 289.99.

Glad we stocked up when prices were good :)

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you get Bulgarian 187 milsurp, do not shoot prone in dry grass. Yes, I know this ----

Also, with the 44, you'll want to experiment a bit with the bayo deployed and stowed. POI does move. Appears like harmonics are altered.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. reloader762

The first span cans I bought were Bulgarian light & heavy ball brass case surplus from the mid 1950s that came in 300 rd. tins for $30, sutff kicks like a mule especially the heavy ball ammo I probably still have around 500 rds. of the stuff stored in a ammo can. Later on some brass case berdan primed 182 gr. FMJ Yugoslovian 54r contract ammo made by PPU came onto the market for $3 per 15 rd. box, I bought 25 boxes and shot one for testing and it shot so well I put it in my rainy day stash. Yugoslavian 1976 7.62x54r Lead Core Heavy Ball
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of Dansammo I bought the above M44 from Dansammo for $75 way back when. The rifles were supposed to be all handpicked and it certainly appeared to be just that.​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Both the M44 and the M91/30 are good shooting irons even if they are a bit heavy on the shoulder. The M44 I was fortunate to be able to hand pick, but the 91/30 was a door prize and needed a bit of tlc to get working smoothly...oh well, the price was right! ;)

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

20191021_003247[1]. I didn't learn to appreciate the Mosin until the prices really shot up.
    From the left: M38, M44, Sako, Tikka, and rest regular 91/30s.

reloader762 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7