1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

My Under $50 tripod DIY.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Salted Weapon, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon West Coast Monkey

So I wanted a firearm tripod, I am also 6'4" and they are all made it seems for people under 6foot unless I want to dump 200.00 I can get one.

I have a broken tripod for a camera I paid $25.00 made by slick the adjustment for it to go up and down crank doesn't work its busted but one can slide it up and down and lock. I was going to toss it the other day and thought about making a tripod for a firearm.

I used an old weight bench leg lift cushion seen in picture cut in half length wise, I ran a bolt through the center of the cushion to the tripod camera adapter ( they allow the camera to be removed by a slide ) . I placed two rubber washers on each bolt end to protect the cushion and any rifle damaged, to further enhance protection I put two layers of 3/4 in pipe insulation tubes opened up and laid across the cushion. Note to make sure the bolts do not rip thru the cushion I used two soft washers that allowed the bolts to hold but not tear.

I think used the tape below its heavy duty military grade stuff but high and low temp and self seals and self attaches no glue on them. This stuff can be found on Amazon.
    I sealed it up its soft and flexible the tripod goes high enough up and weighs less the 4lbs.
    I suggest using aluminum tripods as plastic may not hold up. Over all the parts and tripod ran me under $50.00.
    Cutting the cushion in half made a dip in the top making it slightly slotted to hold the rifle center.
    The cushions are very hard took a bit with a hacksaw to get thru so its a good solid base. Took me all of maybe 45 minutes once I had it laid out. I have seen tripods at resale shops like 20.00 there may be minor mechanical stuff but can be made very reasonable.

Questions let me know.

DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0107.JPG DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0105.JPG
    stg58, Ganado, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Thanks for the heads up on the tape. Great job. I saw a tripod at yard sale and it was a lot heavier then 4 lbs.
    stg58 and Ganado like this.
  3. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon West Coast Monkey

Yea I got pretty lucky this one is all aluminum very light.
    UncleMorgan and Motomom34 like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

Very nice adaptation!
    Salted Weapon likes this.
  5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey++

very good DIY
    Salted Weapon likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Motomom34
  3. Oltymer
  4. UncleMorgan
  5. greathomesteader
  6. Motomom34