Mylar bag gun storage

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fedorthedog, Jan 10, 2022.

Tags:
  1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I placed a hole punch in 2 mylars bags 3 years ago and stored it in an outdoor shed. The shed is unheated but does protect from rain and snow. Temp range has been 100 to 15 F over the 3 years. Items were behind things out of view. Opened them up the other day to check and 0 rust or moisture.

When I placed them in the bags I oiled metal, wrapped in cloth and placed in the mylar bag. 4 02 absorbers, 200cc, pushed the air out and sealed. Had not seen this tested before. it worked well and I imagine it could be put in the ground with a similar result as long as the bag is protected from puncture. each half was in a 5 gallon mylar, along with 5 mags and cleaning kit. IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0175.JPG .

2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Good idea
    "Vacuum packaging it gives me the peace of mind that it will last forever. Keeping your guns vacuum packaged will decrease the chemical reaction that causes rust. Our vacuum packaging bags offer an oxygen barrier protection, keeping the oxygen out will keep your gun safe from rust and deterioration"

Vacuum sealing ammo is a good idea. It ensures your ammunition is safe from the elements, preventing corrosion. Because of that, it keeps ammo and firearms in the best conditions for use for a long time.

Found this on the web.

Gator 45/70 and Dannyboy53 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Be careful with the vacuum-sealer or the objects you are trying to protect will punch holes in the bag. They also make gun bags, for rifles, shotgun and handguns, that inhibit rust and zip-lock.

Gator 45/70 and Dannyboy53 like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have a few vacuum sealed in Seal-a-meal bags for over 5 years now and they still look great. I oiled them well and sealed with the lowest vacuum setting.

johnbb and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

Another tip is the type of oil you use. When I was told this 20 plus years ago my first thought was no way. But I decided to try it the oil is 0w20 or 5w20 full synthetic your favorite brand of car motor oil it works great. One night a few years ago it was forecast to be -25 below 0 so several guns were loaded up and outside they went overnight. The next morning everything fully functional.

johnbb and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Just saw a dude take a plastic septic tank
    install shelves ETC and then seal the top with a rubber bead and installed in a hidden area right in view .and another dude used the oil posted above with all pointy parts wrapped and sealed as above also , that tank had rifle holders as well if I remember !!
    Anyways this long ago in a time when bunkers were being built.
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I have reloaded thousands of rounds (2000 per rifle) and have seal a meal
    them and put in ammo cans. Still look bright and shiny should last a long time

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

This is good information. Thank you!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7