Nantucket Hermit To Lose Underground Home

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fl4848, Jan 25, 2021.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Dont, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

We could use an update, that article is 22 years old.

RightHand, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

There once was a man from Nantucket..........

4. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Who did his business in a bucket.....

Meat, SB21, Cruisin Sloth and 3 others like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

He's probably in AK ?

Meat likes this.
  6. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Yes, I'm not sure what happened to him. Kind of fell off the map. I think I read somewhere that he built underground houses all across the country.

I like the idea of building an underground house on property that's not your own because it's anonymous. No one knows where you are. Of course, that comes with its own set of problems.

I wonder how he dug the home. What did he do with all that dirt? How did he dig the hole and not have anyone notice. Digging is a loud and noisy affair. Especially a hole that size.

Meat, STANGF150 and SB21 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Digging is not necessarily a loud noisy affair, I did a lot of digging a sewer line for our cabin in the mountains and hardly made any noise at all, and I was not trying to be quiet either, it's just a slow and patient process of wetting things down and removing dirt and rock, lots of rock.

damoc, Meat, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  8. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

You digging with a shovel?

Meat, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I couldn't imagine digging a house foundation with a shovel. That would take some tenacity.

Meat and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We used a hand operated tiller, Removed the 2 outer tines That baby will eat some dirt then !

Meat and SB21 like this.
  11. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Mid tine tiller with no wheels will dig its way to china if you let it!! Wasn't so good for going forward, so I had to buy a Troybuilt Super-Bronco w/ CRT to do my garden a decade ago. I referred to that Merry mid-tine tiller as Hopping John!

Meat, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Years ago , i was working for a commercial construction company,, digging footings for a project , we had the footings done ,, but needed to be about 6 inches deeper,, ground was hard as a rock ,, the superintendent told me to go to his house and pick up his tiller ,, one of the old cheap front tine tillers,, he didn't have tines on it ,, he had 5/8ths rebar welded on ,,, when those bars hit the sides of the footings ,, that damned tiller was trying to climb out of the ditch ,, it was actually pretty damned dangerous,,, it took some manpower to control that tiller ,, but it was better than digging with a pick , mattox and a shovel.

Meat, Gator 45/70 and STANGF150 like this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is what they make small excavators for in the 21sr Century....

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Meat like this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

A Hilti type tool with a strong shop-vac can do serious work against dirt. Cheaper than a vac truck or renting a vac-trailer.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes sir,, i believe it was mainly to just keep us busy ,, I think the job was on a schedule,, and we weren't supposed to get ahead of schedule.
    Got a job one time at a construction company,, i believe this was just to see how bad i wanted to work,, they gave me a pick , a mattox, shovels , a digging bar , painted a 6x6 square on the ground ,, and told me to dig a hole 5 or 6 feet deep,, took a day and a half . I figured at about 4 bucks an hour , that hole cost the company about 48 bucks.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  16. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

On this subject I recall a gentleman that lived near Seattle in a DOT cubby with power and I believe water. He or she was likely there for a long time before being busted, very cool. It’s not stealing power since I’ve seen law enforcement do it time and time again. You’re releasing/flushing electrons from the dirty wires, actually doing the power company or in this case, WADOT a free service.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  17. toolbelt99

toolbelt99 Monkey

How much does a mini excavator run? I did a quick search and I saw a couple for 15k price range.

What kind do you have?

I listen to Mike Adam's daily Situation Update, and he was saying how he saved his dog with his excavator. He drove it into the pond and smashed the ice so his dog could swim out. Pretty cool.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Just rent one for a week

3cyl likes this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I do not have an excavator, but a couple of my close neighbors do... I have a Kubota Diesel Tractor, with a scoop bucket, on the front, a nd a backhow attachment on the Three Point hitch on the back...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7