Gear Review Need some scope dope!

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

When I got my Marlin it had a Tasco #629A 3x9x32 scope on it. Just wondering if I should keep it or upgrade? I checked flee bay and they seem to go for about $25 and up. What do you think?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nothing wrong with a Tasco, as lond as the seal stays good...

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Crap Shoot, I would upgrade ricky tick!
    Depending on your budget, you can get into a pretty good piece of glass for $100 or so and be plenty fine!

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If I had you're money I'd upgrade

The tascos are good enough for 22s

That 30 cal.can be a recoil monster.

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This is how I do it. It only hurts once.

Solid construction starts with a good foundation. Find out what quality scope bases and rings are available to fit the rifle and what diameters and height are available. (I'm partial to Ken Farrell mounts and rings) You may have to put several different height rings on the base and actually sight through them. (a tube of paper will help with this and help establish correct eye relief) There's nothing worse than a scope that's too high or low to make shooting feel natural. A good gun shop should be able to help with this.

Ring height will establish how large an objective lens you can accommodate without the bell contacting the barrel. With the physical size limitations of the scope now known, the scope selection can begin. You can determine scope tube diameter, power, turret type, finish, additional adjustments, etc., depending on what you want the scope to do.

Take a look through a Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, Nikon, or Leupold Tactical rifle scope and compare the clarity, light and color to the Tasco. Quality optics and mounts are an investment that are pretty safe. My 1921 J.W. Fecker target scope has appreciated nicely, is still clear as the day it was made and is a joy to shoot with.

I've never heard anyone complain about spending too much on optics or mounts. Maybe you can use that $1200 check from Uncle Sugar. ;)

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Think I would shy away from Nikon, Seems they are getting out of the scope business!

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Check out some of Vortex offerings also...Some are better than similar Leopolds at an attractive price point. Your eyes are different though, so try first. :)

8. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Interesting replies guys. I might just opt for a fixed 4x in an affordable price range. Gee,it going on a 30 30 not a Camp Perry rifle! LOL.

STANGF150, oldawg, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

While that is true, remember that a quality scope is going to hold zero while el cheapo may only last for a short time before the crosshairs start to shift after each shot, the lenses fog due to compromised seals, etc.
    As mentioned above, think of it as an investment...and you can always put it on a more capable rifle if you desire (y)

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I like Nikon for the amount of light the optics bring in and if they are getting out of the business, there might be some great deals on what would otherwise be expensive....

Gator 45/70, Oddcaliber and techsar like this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have 2 scoped rifles, and spent double the cost of the rifles for the glass to go on them, No regrets.

RightHand, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A few thoughts from Rex Tibor
    Note the Super Sniper was a Tasco government contract

If you go through the preceding episodes of Sniper 101 he meticulously rates a number of inexpensive and expensive scopes. It's a wee bit outdated, but most of these scopes still have versions out there

Cross hairs vs ACSS type reticles:

And why the hell is Rex Tibor qualified to tell us about scopes:

13. bryan6QM

bryan6QM Monkey

SWFA SS 10X42 - is a great scope for sure. But when I'm going to the night hunting, I take with me something like AGM PYTHON TS25-640 ( like one from these: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-wеapon-sights ) , cause this model has resolution of 640x512, has lightweight and robust design and pretty easy to operate with. I love it.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

If it has see through mounts ditch them. Those were horrible for keeping zero.
    I would shoot with the scope on to see how it works,I have had some that held zero great and some that were very bad.
    I am partial to vortex scopes their basic models stat at 100-120 dollars and would be fine on that rifle.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7