Nera world communicator?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sdr, Dec 24, 2017.

1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I enjoy browsing this government auction website and ran across an interesting item. NERA WORLD COMMUNICATOR - GovDeals.com

Tried to find info on how much a unit like this would cost new. Not that I could afford the used one. Only price I've found is for a used antenna for $1000. Was curious if anybody had any information on this kind of system. I bet somebody could put something like this to good use

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never been on that govdeals.com cool site. You can bid on most anything.

3. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Lol. Be careful. It's quite addictive. I've never purchased anything but spent a lot of time on it

4. sdr

sdr Monkey++

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Probably a congress' worth.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We could probably take them on a cruise in that lake where we keep losing all our guns.

duane and Yard Dart like this.
  7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The NWC is Inmarsat M4 series that has passed its end of life and has been superseded.

duane and sec_monkey like this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

This is the new world my son! Techsar,
    may make perfect sense to you and I have a vague idea what you are talking about, but it almost up there with a line from Carrol"s poem the Jabberwocky, while each word sounds like it might mean something, the totality approaches zero. So much in our life is like that and we are losing our old herd instinct and common culture. Read one time about the British House of Commons in about the 1880's or so. Man was quoting Cicero or one of the other Roman's famous speech and lost his train of thought, the rest of the members, almost in unison, finished the quote in Latin, as in the educational system of the time, which they all were products of, required that you learn Latin and in the process memorize some famous speeches.
    I find it almost uncomfortable in a sense that I have more in common with chelloveck, who lives a half a world away and who I have never physically met, than my grandchildren. We both have had a "classical education", been in the military or at least have knowledge and an appreciation of it ways, read a lot and think about what we read, etc. My grandchildren know what "Fallout" is, can use computers, but in my mind are totally illiterate in them as they have no concepts of programming etc, do not read, speak on the devils machine in x number of characters with no spelling, punctuation, or grammar, and about things that mean nothing to me.
    May seem a reach to go from auction site to coherent thought patterns, but we now speak so many different languages, the antenna for sale and 2 factor authentication, 2 sequential posts this morning, would mean absolutely nothing to my father or anyone that came before him. In the same sense, we as a nation and a world, are becoming more alienated from each other as we lose our common backgrounds, and what one person regards as a perfectly logical speech, .the next person may find totally incomprehensible and in our new world, even threatening.
    Sorry about getting so far off topic, but it struck one of the few nerves I have left and definitely exceeds 140 letters.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    techsar, chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@duane a few monkeys have been to the world of Fallout n back, can program, know what Inmarsat is, are Level 200 plus plus plus plus, can operate certain tools n devices in the real world plus the virtual world plus with a lil bit of googlin can even figure out Latin, know what a quinquereme is, have a rank equivalent to a Legatus Augusti pro praetore, or higher, much higher, in a sim uv cuz :) :) jus dont ask us to deliver a speech in Latin .. that is simply not going to work :LOL: :LOL:

one of our other members here is way over Level 200 ;) ;)

Merry [tree] @duane @yall :)

[winkthumb] [winkthumb]

chelloveck likes this.
  10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have noticed that a lot of the monkeys seem to get quite a ways away from the tree. I don't mean to comment negatively about Fallout or any other game, and am old enough to have started out in analog fire control computers and learn Balgol as my first programming language on a Burroughs's computer. First job out of USAF was telemetry data reduction for APL for stuff from White Sands using cameras, galvanometers, all vacuum tube based decoding, Burroughs main frame computer, etc quit and went to AT&T long lines working on systems that still went over wires, radio, and the old L3 cable in west Texas and New Mexico. Haven't worked computers since, but find them interesting and play with them. More into physical interactions with them than programing. I know which satellite system is which, just not in a practical sense and my comments are aimed at the mass of our population, not the outer edges of the bell curve. Life is fun, now on the quinquereme, the rowers sat on leather pads, did sliding the pads on a polished seat allow them to use their legs and multiply their effort as would a modern sliding rowing seat? Nothing ever seems to have an ending and at 79, I find life just as interesting as I did at 20, and there are not enough hours in a day to get things done. So far boredom is an abstract word.

techsar, chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  11. sec_monkey

@duane

[biggrouphug] :)

are ya interested in ancient plus modern warfare? :)

12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm interested in many things. But I have a particular interest in military history. Am presently rediscovering T. E. Lawrence's "The Mint" Which I first read in my early 20s.

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

@duane @chelloveck @ yall

Merry [tree] here ya go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Linux

apt-get install 0ad [ Ubuntu, Mint, .. ]

other distributions need to use their default package manager

win

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/games/0ad-0.0.22-alpha-win32.exe

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/games/0ad-0.0.22-alpha-win32.exe.sha256

Intel Mac

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/games/0ad-0.0.22-alpha-osx64.dmg

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/games/0ad-0.0.22-alpha-osx64.dmg.sha256

System Requirements

Windows

Version: XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
    Processor: 1 GHz Intel or x86 compatible
    Memory: At least 512 MB
    Graphics Card: Any supporting OpenGL 1.3 with 3D hardware accelerated drivers and at least 128 MB memory, e.g., Radeon 9000, GeForce 3, or similar
    Screen resolution: 1024×768 or above

OS X

Version: 10.7 or later
    Processor: 2006 or later Intel-based Mac (See details here)

Linux

Processor: 1 GHz Intel or x86 compatible
    Memory: At least 512 MB
    Graphics Card: Any supporting OpenGL 1.3 with 3D hardware accelerated drivers and at least 128 MB memory, e.g., Radeon 9000, GeForce 3, or similar

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  14. ghrit

Imagine what the Roman emperors could have done had they something like Inmarsat in their toolboxes.

I know very little about satcomms, but one of the purported advantages is the size of the antennas needed. There are hams out there that mess with gigahertz operations, but I do not know any. That hardware and technology could be useful for the experimenters, dunno.

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  15. sec_monkey

Or the Gauls or the Britons .. :) :)

Inmarsat is a British company

16. ghrit

Didn't prevent the CIA and other US dot gov entities from using the sats. I don't know what the licensing arrangements were (or are with the newer versions) but I'd guess pretty pricey.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Don't worry, you can buy a new lot of guns on that site. The government sure auctions off guns real cheap.
    Results for Firearms and Live Ammunition - GovDeals.com

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. duane

duane Monkey+++

Don't know that there is any difference between ancient wars and modern ones, still gets down at some point to the man on the ground and we tend to forget that all the major players in the old days were the ones with the best technology. The ones with the best ships ruled the seas, Rome had the highest level of technology for the day, roads and message system, trained full time army, state of the art armor, fortifications, supply system that didn't require the army to disband in order to forage for food. ability to control the movement of the forces during the battle, etc. The Roman legions were never defeated, the state collapsed to the point that they could no longer field or supply them. May be a little bit of history rhyming if not repeating.

In the late 1950's our F-101b, F102, and F106 had an interface that tied the aircraft into the Sage system and the automatic controls if energized could vector the pilot to the target, fire the missiles, and leave the area, with no radio or radar signatures,using either ground based radar or cap radar. With the satellite comms, drones, etc, I have no idea what the limits are now. Man sitting in Oklahoma at a desk, flies and fires missiles off an airplane in Afghanistan, but the soldiers there are getting killed by IED's set by people who can't read or write.
    Better simms are really thought provoking as you can't just run and shoot, developing a resource base and a civilization is quite a challenge, both in the real world and in simm's.

sec_monkey and chelloveck like this.
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7