Never let a good crisis go to waste

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by duane, Mar 29, 2020.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

History has shown that changes made in order to manage a crisis often become permanent. The government enacts them into law and society expects it to continue to supply some service ot good not supplied before. Rich countries try radical economic policies to counter covid-19 In many ways the US never recovered from the Civil War and the creation of a nation state and the loss of the independent power of the states. One of the democratic hopefuls ran on a $1,000 a month payment to everyone and was panned for it, now a one time $1,200 payment is totally accepted and a $600 a week bonus and vastly expanded unemployment ranks are considered by both parties as being OK. As part of the bill, medical care and testing for all is now a right as far as the virus is considered, at what point does it transform to Medicaid for all? What would have been the effect if Hillery had won and had both houses of congress? It was very close and with the new immigration patterns, the Democrats may again become the dominant party and while they maybe only have 51% of the vote, may well shift the country into something many of us would consider a wrong direction. Abortion, gun rights, civil rights, loss of two parent families, etc, would seem to indicate that such "democratic" ideas may well overcome the old principles of a "republic". Going to be an interesting couple of years and I pray that it will end up in some kind of a compromise that we all can be comfortable in.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

No doubt that the stimulus package will have to be paid back by those gainfully employed and by business, which is a round about way of saying we get hosed twice. We have taken out a $2T loan against the hope that our once booming economy rebounds after the Covid-19 scare. I would have rather seen suspension of home, auto, credit card and personal loan payments without interest for three months than a one time $2T stimulus plan that will take forever to pay off.

Gator 45/70, ditch witch and Lancer like this.
  3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

May very well be worth looking back in our history to some simular times to see a cause and effect.. Not the first pandemic we got caught up in.. Granted, the times are not the same. Yet, how simular are they?

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I can understand trying to help people thru these times,, but they are giving people more money to not work than they were getting to work. WTF is that going to do ?? I think they should have done a food stamp type card or something compared to the number of people in the household,, then depending upon their work status. throwing money around like that is crazy. People need to live thru this ,, not profit from it. I think we are being led by idiots.

john316, Dont and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

IIRC it was during the LBJ era that it was decided to have all states pay their tax's into the fed for redistribution...

the argument was low tax income states were being shorted on tax's so redistribution would help them out with their needs?

the counter argument was this would give the feds way more power over each state?

Dont and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

As did the direct taxation of our individual labours and the direct election of senator's by the people.

OldDude49 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7