New caliber 100 rds 2

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Mar 18, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

i believe in having different caliber guns for the reason of being able to find ammo. I now have the following,
    .17hm2 -2500 - bolt rifle
    .22lr -20,000 rds - pistol,revolver,single,auto
    .22 hornet -(new)-350 rds - bolt rifle
    .22 tcm - 1000 rds - pistol,bolt rifle
    .32 acp - 300rds - pistol - revolver
    .32 sw -200rds - revolver
    ..32swl - 500 rds - revolver
    .32-20-225 rds-revolver
    .32hr mag - 300 rds - revolver
    .327mag - 200 rds - revolver
    .38special - 1000+ - revolver,lever action rifle
    .357 mag - 1000+ - revolver,lever action rifle
    .40 acp-1000 rds - pistol
    .41 mag (new)- 250rds - revolver
    .44 mag - 400 rds - revolver, lever action rifle
    .45 acp -750 rds - pistol,revolver
    .45lc - 500rds - revolver , lever action rifle
    .480 ruger 250rds - lever action rifle
    .223-750 rds - auto rifle
    .243- 300 rds - bolt rifle
    7.62-39- 1500 rds - auto rifle
    .45/70 - 200 rds - single shot,double barrel
    7.62 nagant 1200 rds - revolver
    410 -200rds - single shot
    12ga -200 slugs,buckshot - single, double barrel - auto
    12ga -250 no.4-6-7.5 shot - single,double barrel,auto
    Anything else I need except more ammo. The last ammo shortage caught me sleeping not again.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

7.62 Nagant .. That's a lot of rounds for that revolver. I hope you have more than 1 to feed. gotta love that 20# trigger pull. Kind of surprise to see that 7.62x51 (.308) and .30-06 seem not to be in the arsenal.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If your looking for AMMO availability as your criteria you certainly missed the MOST Common Ammo in ANY Ammo Store... and that would be the 30-30 Winchester.... EVERY Mom & Pop General Store will have Boxes of that on the shelf, ALWAYS...

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

30/30 is not all that common here , not that much in demand actually. already have a few hundred, and they are old.
    I generally look at what's available and buy a box of something that is on sale . but I don't make big thing of it.
    I generally shoot my airguns BBs and pellets , cheaper to shoot and easier on the ears and the pocket book.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

He needs to worry about parts for all those various weapons. For me, just stick with the basic ones;

Dont, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, you don't use wall hangers and toys when there's work to be done, and neither do I. That said, I will not fault the variety at all, it can't hurt anything until muscle memory gets involved. (My skull has limited ability in that regard.)

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

So essentially you're trying to justify the fact that you're just another gun whore-I like that, it reminds me of me:D
    A gun without ammo is just a high priced club so I see no problem with what you're doing. I would and do, concentrate more on stockpiling rounds for the calibres that I mainly plan on using PSHTF. The others take a back seat to those. JMT's

8. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Some of the durable guns are Browning Hi Power the 1911 Makarov and a few blowback models like the PPK,
    Most of the bolt actions like the the 03A3, 1917 enfield, 98 mauser, Ariska rifles brit enfields, the mosin nagant and others. There are a few oddballs that are good like the balliister molina astra Spanish Star Tokarev the Tokarev can be changed from 7.62 to 9MM using a barrel and magazine. problem is finding a good deal compared to buying a name brand even at twice the cost eventually the availably and cost of accessories ammo would make it a better investment.

Some of considerations are the ability to use common caliber brass to make ammo with, and bullet molds, it is a bad idea to have a rifle or pistol that it is either too difficult or impossible to make ammo from common cases. Berdan primed brass is another problem More important is to have them on hand after a situation finding dies cases and information won't happen.

9. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

When I bought my nagant ammo I bought a full spam can of I think 1400rds . I have shot it a lot as I already had three or four fifty rd box’s. The only reason I do not shoot it more is having to clean,I swear it will start to rust in fifteen minutes. It is just something to play with when I’m bored.

And I forgot the .32-20 I just bought

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Gator 45/70, ochit and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Still looking for a Winchester 94,the price is out of sight here.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I just hope my wife sells them for more than I told her I bought them for.

12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I've got enough ammo to make the Fire Marshall very nervous! LOL.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  13. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Not so much in my experience in Texas. I would say .30-06 may be the ubiquitous ammo in stock here.

I’ve only seen a couple of .30-30 rifles over the years.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Most areas I travel see the tops in popularity, .30-30 .308 .30/06 .270. 243 7mm mag .300 mag .338win mag. The big pair being the old .30s about evenly split in sales. Some more remote areas generally see the same pair of .30s and maybe the .270! It's rare to see a shop or country store, or gas station that carries ammo not stocking any of these!
    I like the standards, but i also keep and use less popular rounds, some for performance advantages, some for history, some because they punch my shoulder and put a big grin on my face! .45/70, .375 Weatherby Mag, 9.3X74R, all are a blast ( pun intended) and two of these three will rock you back good! All are easy on brass, and can be soursed easy enough, where they get to be a challenge is powder, they all use a pretty good helping, but can all use B.P. for which I make my self and have gotten quite good at it! I have moulds for pretty much every thing .30 and up, and enough lead and tin to keep me busy till rapture!

ochit, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If your AO is in the PNW, there are two 1950's 94's up for sale on the Northwest Firearms forum at $500 and $550.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  16. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I know G, he is like me in a sense of not having enough firearms, but I do tend to stay away from the more obscure ones.

17. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Friend of mine just lost his home and all it's contents to a fire so this is something to consider.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

:lol:
    In the same boat with reloading components.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  19. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

About 20 years ago I decided to concentrate on owning just a few calibers.
    Since I inherited a number of my dad's mil-surp rifles of WW1 and WW2 vintage, purchased a Ruger M77 in 30-06.
    That caliber is available just about anywhere including WalMart (for now anyway).

sec_monkey, ochit and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Next is molds (including buckshot) in one, two and six cavity, sizers, several colors and flavors of bullet lube, gas checks, dies... oh, and bulk powder and primers.

It's a disease. Once you start buying stuff like .327 Magnum and 7.62 Nagant there's no hope of ever turning back.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7