New guy here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daveblack, Nov 25, 2020.

1. daveblack

daveblack Monkey

Hey all, new guy here. Not new to firearms, but getting into ARs. Look forward to learning from you all!

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey... Jump right in there's plenty here to digest...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Howdy from Antifastan! Lots of AR heads here as well as the other great platforms.

My 2 cents on AR's - keep them simple and keep them rugged. Put too much crap on them and they get slow and heavy like an acrobat that's a hundred pounds overweight. You don't need esoteric, you do need reliable. Better to buy a spare bolt carrier group than the latest fashion "tactical" accessory.

You can still find reasonable rifles if you are patient on many of the gun forums. Get yer mags now before they get Bidened. Buy local, pay cash. Buy ammo as you find it. I started on the last crisis, and every payday I bought some with money I'd have just spent on beers. When the crisis was over I went long and deep, but still managed to pack away a [redacted] rounds of ammo before then. You don't need green tip, standard 55gr FMJ are designed to fragment and are great for self defense. Gun forums that cover your area usually have leads or availability in classifieds. Be patient and reasonable deals will happen.

Guns are only the tip of the iceberg, as fun as they are. Knowledge is power and there is a TON of it here.

4. daveblack

daveblack Monkey

Thanks, dunerunner!
    Haha! Thanks for the greeting. That's a good idea. Not something I had thought of... How often does a BCG fail? I am all into practicality. Should probably buy a spare before things get "Bidened." Still working on putting things together now before potential bans.

Wish I had bought more ammo. Had a ton of 9mm a few years ago when it was going for $0.19 / round. Would be worth a fortune now.

Hopefully 2A will still be secure for awhile, if the Senate holds a GOP majority and with the conservative SCOTUS majority. We will see...

mysterymet and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah most of us sold all our guns in legal private sales to concealed carry permit holders or lost them in boating accidents years ago.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Bolt carrier groups are pretty robust, but some of the parts contained within wear out faster than others. Yes, sometimes the bolt itself can fail, but usually it's things like firing pins, the firing pin retainer, ejector, and the extractor that can wear out or cause you trouble if you don't keep it clean and properly lubricated.

You could just keep the parts, but it's quicker and easier to simply replace the BCG and then later when you have time service the first BCG. What could be an annoyance at the range could be fatal in a defensive situation. Plus consider the potential for losing parts while you swap out or clean an extractor in the field. Drop the tiny black rubber donut or the spring and good luck finding that in pine needles!

I've yet to have a BCG fail, but I'm sure if one ever does it will be at the worst possible time.

Yup, get the spares parts as well and don't forget to get the tools needed to work on the rest of the rifle as well.

[​IMG]

Ura-Ki, daveblack, Alf60 and 2 others like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Welcome aboard @daveblack

Now, please take the detailed discussions to the proper forum.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

But he said GUNS!

OK, I'll be good...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. daveblack

daveblack Monkey

Thanks for the advice. Will look to pickup some spares.
    Ok

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome, come on in, set yerself down, kick up yer heels and stay a spell!

Lots of AR and other cooler gun stuff here, so dig right in and have some fun!

See ya in the AR threads!
    BTW, this is a Proper AR, light, simple, handy and fast as hell!
    Note there is no Tacticool stuff hangin all over it! K.I.S.S!
    [​IMG]

Dark Wolf and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Perhaps not trying to screw folks on your second post would be a good place to start.

A conditional welcome...

13. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7