New HF radio help

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sdr, Dec 30, 2019.

1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Been thinking about getting rid of a couple of my old HF rigs to get a new Yaesu FT-450 D. I am looking at the Yaesu mainly because it seems like a good solid feature rich unit for a good price. It's been out for a while and has great reviews. Computer control and the built in tuner has me drooling.

My three rigs I am considering parting with are.
    Swan 500cx.
    Yaesu ft-201
    Kenwood 440-ts

Hoping to only get rid of 2 of them for the cash to get the 450.

Anyone have experience with the 450? Reviews seem very positive. Rated as an entry level radio but compared to mine it seems miles ahead. I'm not interested in a more expensive rig. Many of the reviews said to hold out to get a radio with more features. Personally don't see the point. If my old Ramblers work good for me why should I consider a Cadillac?

Pretty much why I want to do this is to reduce my ham shack to one forever radio. Keeping one of the tube rigs for giggles is a consideration if I can get around 6 or 7 hundred out of 2. Been watching ebay occasionally over the years and can't believe how the prices for used gear has gone up.

So fellow monkeys...

Any advice would be appreciated. Any particular rig I should hold onto? The yaesu was my first HF rig. Picked it up from a little old man who changed the crystal to 11 meters back in the 70's. Yes it has been changed back right after i got it. Very clean unit.

The swan is a powerhouse. Seems pretty easy to work on. Heats the shack quite effectively on those cold winter nights while emitting a soft warm glow. Lol. That part is pretty cool.

The Kenwood does need a bit of work. Manufacturer decided it was a good idea to blob a bit of glue/sealant on part of the circuit board to protect it from damage. Unfortunately as it decays it becomes conductive. Not a huge issue. Just finicky display and keypad. I am not interested in attempting a clean up job on it.

Not listing these for sale here so please don't ask. Just need help to decide on an approach.

I know a radio tech in town here who will check them over for me so I can be accurate when I do list them. Hope to sell locally. Hate the idea of shipping them.

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I looked hard at the 450, in the end went with the 991a.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We are a Kenwood family... No personal info on the 450D but I hear a few on the air, and they sound good...

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Keep the 500, you’ll not get any real$ for it

ghrit likes this.
  5. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I'm a ICOM guy, the 7300 works well for me, a few in my club have 450d and love them. I went for the SDR function. Moved up from a Kenwood TS-2000 which I had the same thought sell it locally but surprising none of the locals have bitten on it yet, so it's on the shelf, I also have a Ten-Tec which sounds amazing on the air, that is my I'll never sell radio :) I'd hold onto the Swan

oldbee1966 likes this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sure would love to hear a bit more about that IC-7300...Everything I read says it's the 'must have' HF radio now... Honestly, I haven't heard a bad word about them. Comments?

7. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I have not found anything bad with it, it hears well, good filtering, USB to the PC for rig control, remote rig control. Audio reports are great from others, I'm using a PR781 for a mic, one of my friends is a DJ for our local radio station so he's the one I go to for audio reports, He always tells me I have a face for radio. :) SDR so updates can be pushed to the radio, SD card for memory, waterfall and audio waterfall. You can add a simple mod to use a SDR dongle but I have found no need with the USB radio control and using either the ICOM software or one of the others out there. All in all a great rig

Bandit99 likes this.
  8. sdr

sdr Monkey++

IC-7300? Oh geez.... Well. Maybe I will consider spending a bit more. Have been checking reviews on it.

sheen_estevez likes this.
  9. oldbee1966

oldbee1966 Monkey+++

I am glad one of my club's members talked me into an IC 7300, great radio as mentioned by others here.

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I picked up a KX2 last year. I now send my ham radio time out of town owing to the massive amount of noise in town, so QRP is for me.

10 W CW will get me contacts and I can work PSK-31 as well with nothing more than a set of paddles.

I did keep my ft-817 to be able to do satcom work if the bands are toast....

11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

An IC9100 took over duties from a Kenwood TS480SAT here...they both are good radios.

ETA: I would keep the Swan unless you were able to get big money for it...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

480 here is not scheduled for replacement by anything in the foreseeable future. I've antenna improvement higher on the "todo" list.

techsar and sheen_estevez like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7