New member needing to up my game

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WorkInProgress, Sep 10, 2020.

1. I've had some survival knowledge for a long time but have the usual excuses...need more time, more money, more family cooperation. Funny how it seems like a lot of us are only able to get well prepared once the kids "don't need us so much". Guess I've been lucky. Thanks to all for all the stories and information!

I hope to use this as a place to shame myself into taking more concrete actions. At present I am overweight but healthy, live in a suburb of a non-permissive firearm jurisdiction, I can feed and water my household for a week, have first aid basics, and camping equipment. I will probably think of more info when I pop back to note progress (or maybe I should move the thread at that point?). Wish me luck.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[welcomeLG]

Welcome WIP. There could be a few items of interest for you, prowl around, use the search (it might work.) You don't need to shame yourself, but we can help with that, too, if you need it ---- (j/k)

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Welcome aboard from the INW @WorkInProgress, plenty to learn here, plenty to make you scratch your head over and a few "what the***"! Lots of good folks here.

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Welcome. Just ask......

Dunerunner, snake6264 and Gray Wolf like this.
  5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Sometimes it's good to reevaluate our priorities. What is necessary, and what do I need most to be better prepared. Sometimes it's hard, and it's too important to mess it up!

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and snake6264 like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Welcome! we are all a work in progress. Life changes, our priorites change, Covid crops up, people lose jobs etc.

I re-evaluate my preps yearly. I just spent a week reorganizing mine and inventorying everything. My annual inspection. I can see my priorities have shifted. And i never thought I would say this... and i use to give the guys here a hard time for this and... i was wrong.... I dont have enough ammo.... ok now I said it. lol

The new higher prices i refuse to pay so time to stock up as i shop around and wait for some lower prices. Had to slow down going to the range. lol

Grab a good sturdy branch and hang on, we are like a wild and wooley family. We rarely agree on anything and we annoy each other frequently but we do try to be respectful of all of the others [sarc1][LMAO] who have crappy opinons we dont agree with [sarc2].. because of course the only opinon that is important is your own ;)

There is some really great stuff on this site and alot of knowledge from the members. So grab a large sturdy branch and hang on to the Monkey tree.

Dunerunner, Tully Mars, GOG and 2 others like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey..... BYOB!! [beer]

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Welcome WIP! This is a helpful crowd here. Sounds like you're starting out from where the average American finds himself.

This is a systematic approach that was posted on another survival blog years ago that makes it all feel easier.

From Beginning Prepper, to Fully-Stocked Retreat: What to Buy, and When, by Scott in Wisconsin - SurvivalBlog.com

Do you know how long a roll of toilet paper lasts for your family? Start tracking it and you will know how long your supply will last.
    Pandemic time is the perfect time to start stocking the pantry and store room and not look like a weirdo to your neighbors. "Buffy, did you see that BAIL of toilet paper that WIP just dragged into the house? That's the third one this week!"

Next thing is easy... well, as long as you're not likely to fall over and die. RUN! Don't jog. That bouncing up and down stuff will just make you tired and sweaty. RUN! Like a lion is trying to catch you and eat you for supper! I usually do 70 yard sprints, Twenty left foot strides, on the beach. When you're done you should be wheezing, feeling like your lungs are on fire, and your heart is pounding. Walk it off for 30 seconds and do it again. Repeat six or seven times, with increasing rest intervals up to a couple minutes if you need to catch your breath. Do this one day a week, along with push-ups, pull-ups, planks and squats. Combine it with a good diet of high protein and low carbs and you will be amazed at what happens. Just look up some of the Primal Journey threads here to see what I mean.

We do all try to get along here. Welcome aboard. There's a lot to learn.

A lot.

9. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Welcome and just skip the political crap and there is all you need here and a lot of smart people

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Don't let us scare you off with some of our little inside jabs at each other. Some of us read alot and see this.
    [​IMG]

It's all in fun when we use a lot frequently in any of our responses. I like to do it a lot. Just like punching the Like button when somebody posts a picture that only shows up as a red X. (A picture that, for whatever reason, can't be opened on the site.)

It's a safe place to hang out ... most of the time. There are lots of branches of the site that I think never get visited. (Media, Resources, Articles)

If you find a home on a branch here, consider being a site supporter. We like that a lot.;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Dunerunner, GOG, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  11. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Happy to have you .
    No one person knows everything, so dig around or ask. Great people here and great info.

Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  12. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

HO LEE SHEITE
    I gotta wake Sass up for this-a Lady admitted she was wrong. Maybe I do have a chance of winning an argument after all..
    Sorry Girl, but you left yourself wide open on that one;)

@WIP, Welcome to the site. Doubt you will find a better resource for prepping or just plain life experience anywhere on the web. Some of the finest folks you'll ever "meet" are here. Jump on in and hang on tight.

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dont stub your toe running to wake her up or running away after you tick her off from waking her up [LMAO][own2]

15. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome from the smoky PNW...

GOG, Altoidfishfins and Tully Mars like this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Welcome also .
    Get fit , over weight is the hardest , smoking is the same fight ,,
    We know lots ,, but we are ALL not the same .. Every one / house is a pick and choose ..

Sloth / slow bear

GOG likes this.
  17. Feeling good about a few things: built an overly-complicated FIFO can rack, got an adapter to fill small propane canisters and to use a 20 lb tank to attach to my Heater Buddy, programmed my cheap Ham radio to reach a couple local repeaters, have increased my average of homemade work lunches, put aside some easy rocket-stove fuel, and extended stabilized gas for my small storm generator. My thanks to the surly Silverbacks and silly Capuchins for their examples.

ghrit likes this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Welcome! I been at this, on and off, since Y2K, that was over 20 years ago. Should be done in about 5 or 6 years:LOL:!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7