New Recording Studio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am in the process of designing and building a new recording studio/listening room on the Gulf shore. The building will consist of two 40' shipping containers welded together as one room with a 20' container welded into the back side . One end of the 40' containers will be separated into a drum room and a live room with a smaller vocal booth at each end. The control room will follow that the drums room and lives rooms ar 8' x8', the vocal booths 3.x3., the control room will be 16' x 14" from the end of the containers, leaving a live stage room 24'x16'. The 20' side car will contain bath, shower, kitchenette and a wet bar. I want to run the entire system solar but haven't located an effecient Hvac system so haven't been able to clculate my usuage yet. I will build on a slab with anchor bolt, cover the outside with hot-crete, only windows will be in the kitchenette and a few strategiall placed skylights. Any ideas and help I can moving this project along will really be appreciated.

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

if ya need a pro audio workstation ya should call Lucy (y) (y)

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sound linings?

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Research “live end dead end” control rooms and monitoring rooms. Parallel walls are not good and parallel glass in 2 and 3 layer windows between studio and control room is a big no no.

AT

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Mini-split heat pumps for efficiency and low noise.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A 3x3 vocal booth? You might want to re-think that.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Use the Alternate Stud Construction with Fiberglass Insulation on the Internal walls.... Before you spray the HotCrete on the outside, put a layer of Spray Foam Insulation, on the Exterior, to thermally isolate the HotCreat from internal Metal Containers....Isolate the Ceilings from the Metal Container Steel with Fiberglass Bat, glue Long Pile Carpet onto the Ceiling Plywood... Just off the top of my head....

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If you can source bass wood at reasonable prices, you can use that to make a sonic dead space! When I built my theater for the Pipe Organ, I used lots of angled ply wood and sheetrock, as well as cork and bass wood in the pipe chambers to insulate the ranks and divisions into separate yet interconnected spaces! Boy is that bass wood awesome stuff at attenuating sound energy!

duane and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7