No bull, im getting a Taurus!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'll just give you the Cliff Notes version, last May my Dad passed away. Now his estate is finally settled. He was a Vietnam vet, NRA life members. Introduced me to guns at a very early age. Anyway I put a Taurus model 65 in lay-a way at a local pawn shop. Should be able to get it in about a week. Thanks Dad!

Alf60, snake6264, Dont and 5 others like this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Looks similar to the "L" frame Smith. Should be a good gun. I found the "K" frame a bit light for a steady diet of full house .357's as they tended to go out of time after several thousand rounds. This looks as if it should handle things just fine.

Brokor, Dont, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I inherited one once. 96. Dark blue. My friends said it was purple. Bastards.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Does that mean you got rid of the Purple People Eater.

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I own a few Taurus pistols, two PT1911s and a .44 revolver. I like them really well.

Ganado, STANGF150, snake6264 and 5 others like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I am sorry that is how you got it, but glad you did. I dare say you'll like it.

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Taurus gets little love on gun forums, but I had a PT99 for several years and it was both reliable and accurate. The Taurus PT-92 (the 99 is a 92 with target sights) is basically a Beretta 92 without a decocker, much like a 1911 without the grip safety. I preferred it to the Beretta for that reason.

If I ever get another 44 mag it will likely be a Taurus Raging Bull. I loved everything about my Ruger Redhawk except for the cowboy style handle. It looked real nice, but made it hard to control. They fixed that in the Super Redhawk, and if they put that handle back on the regular Redhawk I'd buy one in a second.

8. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Taurus makes very good revolvers. I've had a few over the years and they all served me well.

In fact I'm about to buy a Taurus 692.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, snake6264 and 3 others like this.
  9. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Taurus Semi's truly make better door stops. But the revolvers seem to be all made really well. I do find though Taurus tends to go overboard on fluff at times.

Zimmy and Oddcaliber like this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The 92 series is solid. Beretta had a factory in Sao Paulo to make pistols for the Brazilian military. Taurus bought the factory, rights to continue production under their name, tooling and rehired many of the workers. The quality of mine was identical to the Beretta next to it in the gun shop. Only had a couple FTF's when breaking it in, but it shot everything including aluminum Blazer without fail after that.

The other semi's I have zero experience with. I can recommend the 92. I only sold it because the handle just wasn't a good match for my hands.

Zimmy and Oddcaliber like this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

One of the best revolvers I've owned was Taurus. Their copy of the 686 in 6". Bought it the mid 80's and the fit and finish was WAY better than my buddy's 686 same vintage. Uncle just bought their Tracker series .357. Nice revolver groups are very good.

Have been thinking on a PT1911 as a builder. I can pick it up very cheap. You really like them then?

oldman11 likes this.
  12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Picked up my new to me Taurus to go along with the other Spanish speaking revolvers I have. My glove box gun is a Braztech imported Rossi 461. Made by Taurus. Next up is my first one, a Llama Comanche III made in Spain. It's time to let them get to know each other!

GOG and Seawolf1090 like this.
  13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Sure hope they are multi-lingual. The Brazilian speaks Portagee.
    (But they should get along well ---)

Oddcaliber likes this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Well in that case, ole!

Ganado and Oddcaliber like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7