Nope

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meat, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Meat

Meat Monkey+

Sgt Nambu and Ganado like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+

Wait. There might be a hidden irony.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Meat

Meat Monkey+

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

I spent a lifetime doing stupid in the name of God and Country, never again! While I still do miss the rush, I look back and ask my self how the hell I got away with all those things? I keep my feet firmly planted thank you very much!

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

There were at least 16 people on this one balloon.

I didn't think the gateway to Mexico was closed...

Ganado likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

"But on Saturday he’ll become the first skydiver to go from plane to planet Earth without a parachute." --No, he won't. Lots of people have fallen to their deaths when their parachute failed or plane exploded in mid air. Oh, they meant alive. I get it now. It requires a ton of training and experience, which he has. It also requires that he doesn't go off course during his decent. And at the end of the day, it proves nothing since it cannot be repeated by your average, garden variety super human. Well, here's hoping he doesn't end up on the windshield of a family minivan traveling down the freeway.

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Somewhere among all the useless info crammed into my MT head, it says that the terminal velocity for a free falling human in sea level atmosphere is about 120 mph. Starting higher than sea level in thinner air, he'll be going significantly faster when he hits the net. Owie, what a face plant that might be ---

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Yeah, he could strain himself :lol:

Used to sit around a campfire with a friend of mine years ago and talk about stuff like this.
    Alcohol fueled imaginations went wild, and a scenario came up whereby if you jumped out of a plane with no parachute, landed on your feet, your leg bones would poke straight into the ground and the flesh from your lower legs would be bunched up around your waist like an accordian.
    Yep, we had a pretty sick sense of humor. Ahh, the good ol'days. Miss 'em.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Yard Dart, Ura-Ki, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Well, he did it and walked away.

10. Meat

Meat Monkey+

^West Coast still waiting.

11. Meat

Meat Monkey+

I can erase the post from my mind. :D

12. Meat

Meat Monkey+

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. [afro]

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

I saw the out come of you guys scenario first hand, Gruesome would not be an over statement! Dude couldn't cut away from his main "chute and augured strait in, Shoved his knees up to his ears the long way! Dead on impact, Hell of a way to go!

Sgt Nambu and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I have seen a few burn in.... one landed 50 feet from me. You never forget. I helped a CW3 once, got an air-medevac for him after being tree'd....right through his lungs. I have a couple of friends that have rod's in their back due to free-fall injuries.....they are good now, and life rolls on. ;)

15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Monkey+

Sixteen people? That's sad! But, do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.
    Or, perhaps I feel that way because I'm old!

Meat and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I worked a hot air balloon company as a young 18 year old, the summer before I went into the Army. The best job I ever have had... loved taking care of folks, through their experience... it was a lot of fun as a young man.

God bless the lost folks today and the sadness to their families..... a loss to many I am sure!!!

Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Altitude...... It was all about Altitude..... Stay above the PowerLines..... Duh....

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. Meat

Meat Monkey+

Hot air balloons are just plain stupid. You've got a 1 in 3 chance of seeing your family again. To do that you have to dodge fire and hitting the earth at terminal velocity.

Cruisin Sloth, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. Meat

Meat Monkey+

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Ganado likes this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7