1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Norway Will Be the First Country to Turn Off FM Radio in 2017

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Apr 20, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Mixed emotions on this potentially happening in the USA.

Norway Will Be the First Country to Turn Off FM Radio in 2017
    Norway’s Minister of Culture announced this week that a national FM-radio switch off will commence in 2017, allowing the country to complete its transition over to digital radio. It’s the end of an era.

As Radio.no notes, Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) will provide Norwegian listeners more diverse radio channel content than ever before. Indeed, DAB already hosts 22 national channels in Norway, as opposed to FM radio’s five, and a TNS Gallup survey shows that 56% of Norwegian listeners use digital radio every day. While Norway is the first country in the world to set a date for an FM switch-off, other countries in Europe and Southeast Asia are also in the process of transitioning to DAB.
    Marck likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey Site Supporter+

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

I would like to know how many people actually listen to the radio in their homes? How many actually have a radio set up in their home?
  4. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Poll -- ?
    I frequently listen to the radio during the daytime and often enough in the evening, especially when TV is poor as it often is.
  5. Tully Mars

Same here @ghrit. I have the radio on mainly in the mornings, but if there isn't anything I want to watch in the evening we will put on the radio or play music on the 'puter.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Sometimes we will have a baseball or football game on the tube, on mute and listen to the FM radio for the local boys play by play.... better than listening to that jack-wagon, Joe Buck......

That is about it unless we loose power.... then we monitor all of the bands till we sort out the situation.
    chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Several radios around here. Always one within reach for news/weather/nascar.
    Tully Mars likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

TV's are all unplugged (4). Radios are on daily. News and weather, when there is nothing I want to hear going on, it changes to music (just about anything but rap).
    But most of what I listen to, are recorded books. I drive 2-5 hours each and every day, and I listen while I drive, and on some jobs where customers are not present. (A Bluetooth means no one else can even hear it);)
    chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Ditto on the audio books! The wife and I are HUGE fans.
    kellory likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I even listen while hunting, keeps me alert and focused. (One ear only while hunting or driving.)
    Tully Mars likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm a NPR junky.... I love Car Talk and A Prairie Home Companion
    Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like the Norwegian Ministry of Culture has finally found a way to stop that Devil Abba music from Sweden...
    gunbunny, Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm pretty sure the Norwegians can still listen to Abba on Edison wax cylinder phonograph recordings. :D
  14. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Were the Abba Group, not Swedish?
  15. DarkLight

DarkLight I self identify as a Blackhawk Attack Helicopter! Site Supporter

Okay, so does this mean it will be illegal to broadcasts in the FM spectrum? Or will they simply no longer give out commercial licenses for specific ranges? HAM operates in the FM space so I'd be kind of surprised if it became outright illegal.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's probably the case of migrating commercial radio to DAB, freeing up the FM frequency spectrum for other uses.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

No, this means they will be just converting from FM Modulation, to a new Digital Modulation scheme...
    chelloveck likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Only if they draw the blinds, turn out the lights, and play it as quietly as possible...
    chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary