Not far from my home this happened

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jul 22, 2018.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Churches across the nation need to get on board with a security mindedness..... and ensure they have plans, procedures and the teams to follow through with a plan to protect their flock!!!!

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I remember a church shooting down here years ago.
    Seems the Preacher cut one of the lambs in the flock out for a little side action.
    Seems her husband didn't care for it and shot them both in church.
    Guard your churches from with-in and out.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Shooter was a member.

I'm willing to bet it was a 'domestic' issue. Likely victim is ex-wife or wife he has accused of cheating...

Maybe tomorrow there will be some deatils.

BTW - Fallon is a mostly Navy town anymore....

5. Yard Dart

Domestics are the number one issue for church security.... if you are out to cap your ex, you know the one place she will be at on Sunday.....

As a church, it is hard to defend from all events, but we make sure folks know that our "home" is not a soft target. ;)

Tully Mars, BenP, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. Yard Dart

He got that Karma mofo....ehh!!

7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Seems the preacher forgot the rule about not sh*ttin' where you live, or work.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is always going to be some NutBall with a Gun... You can not legislate that away, no matter how many law & Statutes you write... FireArms can not be unInvented... You never will be protected from the lone Perp with a Gun... The very best a person can do is be awre of your surroundings, and respond to the aggresion as best you can... Seems in this case, the Perp had it in for One Individual, and the second was hit in, due to bad aim... Then. the Perp left the building and walked home, and waited for the LEOs to come collect him...

9. DKR

More details, but no motive to the shooting yet released.

Update: Charles E. “Bert” Miller dies after shooting at Fallon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Dead man is
    The mayor praised Miller for his community service having served for 28 years in the Fallon Churchill Volunteer Fire Department. He said Miller is survived by his wife, three adult children and several grandchildren. Miller was 61 Y/O.

Shooter-
    O'Connor is a longtime resident of Fallon and attended Churchill County schools. He was also a candidate for the Assembly 38 seat in 2010 but lost to Pete Goicoechea in the general election.

So - I was completely wrong on this one. I'll keep following to see if any kind of motive is ever offered for the reason behind the shooting.

This kind of violence is pretty rare, even more so within this faith community.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. DKR

Little bit more has leaked out:

FALLON, Nev. (KOLO)-- A man accused of a shooting at a Fallon Mormon church is being held in lieu of $1,050,000 bond and is charged with open murder, assault with a deadly weapon and battery with substantial bodily harm.

[​IMG]
    The scene of a shooting at a Mormon church in Fallon. Photo by Gurajpal Sangha/KOLO.
    Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman says 48-year-old John Kelley O’Connor walked into the church on West Williams Street just before 1 p.m. July 22, 2018 and fired shots, then left the church and walked home. O'Connor surrendered after police called the home and asked him to surrender.

Gehman says evidence pertaining to the shooting was found in the home, including a handgun matching the description given by witnesses to the shooting.

The chief says O'Connor was known to police, having had two domestic violence charges against him in the '90s, though both were dropped.

The man who died in the church shooting has been identified as 61-year-old Charles "Bert" Miller. He was a 35-year veteran of the Fallon Volunteer Fire Department. One other victim sustained a leg injury; that person's name has not been released.

I'll keep following this....

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. DKR

Not much new, now the report say O'connor walked up to Charles "Bert" Miller. and opened fire at a damn near contact distance. - IOW, closer that point blank....

Something going on, but nobody is talking.

The wounded guy is being refereed to as Miller's brother visiting from Utah.

@OldDude49 - you getting any street level rumbles?

Local news report
    Fallon man indicted for murder in LDS church shooting

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

nadda.... nothing more then the report...

DKR likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Somebody did somebodies wife......

14. DKR

Dunno

I looked for divorce actions, lawsuits, bankruptcy and all the other usual triggers on this kind of stuff. Even looked for fire losses as the vic was a volunteer firefighter da nada

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

Lone nut bag... doubt it. They are holding what was the trigger.... or he was just a nutcase.
    Either way, sad to hear the action.......

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. DKR

Nope. This was personal.

Walked up to the dude and looked him in the face as he unloaded his gat..

At some point the heat will have to pass along something - even if unbelievable....

I had thot for sure a wife (of someone) was involved. Who knows, maybe the old dude spanked the shooters kiddo.....

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  17. DKR

FALLON — A Nevada judge has ordered a mental examination to determine whether the man accused of fatally shooting a fellow congregation member at a Mormon church is competent to stand trial for murder.

The Lahontan Valley News reports John O'Connor's lawyers requested the competency exam Thursday during a hearing in justice court in Fallon.

O'Connor is charged with first-degree murder in the killing of longtime Fallon volunteer firefighter Charles E. "Bert" Miller during Sunday's services.

Note, this was asked for by the defense, so you can guess where this is going.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. DKR

08/04/12 - no updates from anyone on this. May not see anything until the shooter pysc eval is completed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. DKR

Still no updates. I'm dropping this from my active check listing. Maybe something will pop up someday.

Still wondering over the motive...

20. DKR

Final update - I guess a motive will never be uttered for the shooting. The dude is just nutz.

A judge says a 48-year-old northern Nevada man isn't currently competent to stand trial in the fatal shooting of a fellow congregation member inside a Mormon church.

John O'Connor has been charged with first-degree murder in the July 22 killing of 61-year-old Charles "Bert" Miller, a longtime volunteer firefighter in rural Fallon.

He's also accused of battery with a deadly weapon in the shooting of Miller's 64-year-old brother, Duane of Utah.

A psychiatrist and a psychologist both testified at a competency hearing Tuesday O'Connor doesn't have the ability to assist in his defense with a reasonable degree of rational understanding, as required under Nevada law.

I'm flushing this from my follow listing.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7