NPR...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I don't normally listen to National Public Radio (NPR) mainly because I didn't know what channels it was on in my local area. Anyway...By chance, I was going into town and happened upon their frequency and they had a broadcast about how the world will not be able to produce enough food for everyone by 2023 unless something changes. It did have some interesting facts also such as 55% world population by that time will be made up by China and India. Also, the USA and Brazil are the real powerhouses for food production in the world. I did a few queries when I got home and this Global food shortage stuff is all over the internet. Apparently, it's real.

Then their next show was how Capetown, South Africa is running out of water, to be exact, the taps run dry 22 April 2018.

Both of these shows made me stop and think... These are simple basic needs but without them life stops... Simple but critical...food and water.

These simple radio broadcasts today strengthen my resolve that I am indeed following the correct course to safeguard myself and family to weather any immediate emergency/event with the intended long-term goal of achieving self-sufficiency.

And, yes, sometimes I do question the wisdom about spending money to store these basics, money that could be used elsewhere or convince myself that I have enough stored which, of course, if I did then I wouldn't have to convince myself or...maybe I'm just paranoid, too much time overseas in too many nasty places, this is America after all. It can't happen here, can it?

Well, maybe I am a paranoid but I will be a well fed, well watered and well armed paranoid if things go to hell in a basket for even in our ultra-modern 21st century our fragile lives boil down to simple basic needs the same as it has since the dawn of mankind.

I guess I need to listen to NPR more often... :)

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

NPR has entirely too much leftist rhetoric for my tastes, but once in a while they do have a hit piece of interest.

Was their solution global depopulation? ;)

Zimmy, Thunder5Ranch, Alf60 and 7 others like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Years ago , we were buying oil from sandville 40 bucks a barrel or whatever , and selling them corn , wheat and stuff for pennies a bushel,, still are I guess. I always thought food should be worth more than oil. So , if shit gets bad in sandville , they'll be coming for our food. I was thinking this 40+ or - years ago , now it might be a reality in the near future. Funny how the things you thought about years ago , turn out to be closer to reality now. Beans , bullets , and water , basic survival necessities ,,,,,,and beer,,,

4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb] @Bandit99 @ yall

dont listen to National [ kommunist ] Propaganda Radio around here :LOL: :LOL:

it appears to be true Capetown, South Africa is projected to run out of water, the story was posted online some time ago

food prices in iran are up 50-60% on certain food items

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This has been on my Radar for some time, and became a serious concern to me when I retired and saw the condition of this country.
    My eyes were opened when the Gov. started hording the seeds, and requiring that farmers buy seed from the Gov. then the rise of G.M.O. foods, particularly seed, and that these do not self propagate, requiring a farmer to purchase seed each season! Combine these with the die offs of large quantities of see food, and the conditions/management of fisheries, and the way cattle and other meats are produced.
    Then there is the explosion of health issues, my self included, and mine can be traced directly to un natural foods, ether processed, or some how modified! Having switch to 100% all natural, ( much of which we grow our selves) my issues have all but stopped. We are seeing aliments that have never been seen before, and in numbers afflicted unlike any thing in the past! Then there is the raising number of cases of Autism, it can be argued that this was not a very common affliction 30 years ago, and don't get me started on some of the others! Point is, we have dug ourselves a pretty big hole, and most sheeple are obvious to it!
    Food and clean water are going to be extremely valuable in the future, and very hard to come by, and with the YUUUUUUUUUGE population explosion of China and India will place un tenable stress on the food production, and places like the U.S, Ukraine, Brazil, Australia, and few European countries will be forced to hoard dwindling resources to sustain their own people!
    The middle east is sending hoards of it's people out into the world, and in large part it's because the food is getting hard to come by, and Africa is a source of global problems in growing and managing food resources. Further more, Egypt is barren, unable to grow due to a number of issues, not which is the Dam that has stopped the flow of much needed nutrients for crop growing!
    I think a serious effort needs to be made to restore Egypt in a major way, that country could sustain most of the Med, and the Middle east! Something needs to change, and SOON!

A serious die off is on the horizon, weather a person believes or not, the facts stand, Mankind cannot continue to expand at the rate it is, and until a balance happens, we are going to be facing a lot in the near future, and it ain't gonna be purty! I think America is in about the best position for now, we have enough fallow land to increase crop production, and to improve the meat production in a sustainable way. Russia and especially the Ukraine is in a good position here as well, and the mid European countries France and Germany, and Denmark can be improved greatly, but will be over taxed with out outside support! Thankfully, the major die off will mostly happen in the countries causing the most problems, China, India, Africa, and others, and the poor countries that can produce, but do not, will have to change or suffer the same fate, I'm referring to Mexico specifically, and a large percent of South America!

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I enjoy NPR while I am driving short distances. It allows me the opportunity to use all of the swear words that I don't use normally in polite discourse. Remember, use it or lose it!

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Someone brought this up aweek or so ago. The answer is money and reuse. Money for the membrane filtration plants that can turn out potable water from seawater, and likewise to treat and reuse sewage with the same technology (which we are already doing.) The wailing and gnashing of teeth is premature.

Zimmy, Yard Dart, sarawolf and 2 others like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

UncleMorgan likes this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@ghrit "Someone brought this up a week or so ago. The answer is money and reuse. Money for the membrane filtration plants that can turn out potable water from seawater..."

That might have been me. I am not sure of the scale needed but there are other Mideast countries that augment their fresh ground water sources with desalination plants. The NPR program said Capetown was rushing them into production there, building as fast as possible.

@Ura-Ki The NPR speaker (some Ph.D) said their was no more land in America for farming and while Brazil has plenty of land to expand its farm (remember these are the two powerhouses that supply major portion of world food) they would have to cut more of the Amazon forest. China is making major land purpose in Africa and even the Ukraine as a fallback measure in order to produce food to feed its people if things don't improve. She said the solution is quite easy and could well overcome shortage with huge amount of excess in less than 10 years - cultivate and farm the huge empty land tracts in Africa even portion of the Sahara. She said the current wheat farming in Sahara is like the USA was in 1940. It was really quite interesting...

Nothing was said about population control but one would think some of these countries better get a grip and soon, especially China and India, quite dangerous to have much more people than your country can feed. Throughout history one can track the cause of numerous wars for nothing but land (which means food) and/or resources on that land. I never gave too much thought to this until today but overpopulation + food shortage = very dangerous world. As for me, I think I will purchase another round of freeze-dried food and tuck it away...

Zimmy, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Current estimates put the Total U.S. food production capacity vs Total Land available to grow @ somewhere in the 60 to 70% range! Much of that land in in the three wet coast states, not normally calculated in the figures, because of the shifting of crops and the versatility. ONE major problem is the massive problems in the citrus growing areas, and the loss of crops. there needs to be some serious attention paid to that!

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

"The NPR speaker (some Ph.D) said their was no more land in America for farming"

Sounds as if that speaker is lost in his/her little world of Academia.

IF we are out of land then why do we continue to build over perfectly great place to grow crops?

There is so much land with new sub divisions being built on them that it is unreal.

Yes I can site such places in many states that I travel in.

Kansas, Mo, OK, Texas, La, Ole Miss etc.

NPR is a HOAX.

This area is rapidly being covered with houses and concrete.
    Texas blackland prairies - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

Problem world wide isn't food or water production, it is having the resources to exploit those resources. The people with money will get water in Cape Town , well, shipped in, sea water conversion, what ever, or leave, but the vast multitude living in the shacks in the slums are in real trouble. They don't have money now to pay for water and while it is supplied now while the resource is relatively inexpensive, the have's will not provide great amounts of money to supply free water to the have not and at some point the US and the UN will run out of money to give it away. The real danger is that some disease, natural or created, will strike one of our highly developed very narrow genetic diversity crops, say corn for example, and destroy the entire crop. There are no reserves worth mentioning and that would destroy much of our meat production and many other things. Have as much self production as possible, have caches, and be as grey as possible. It is not a problem that any one person can do anything about on the world scale, or even on a national scale.

13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

South Africa will probably be the next Zimbabwe. Many whites have already left, and many are leaving every year. Most are taking their white-collar skills with them--including the skills that maintain the infrastructure.

Maybe the 22nd of April will be the tipping point, maybe not. It pretty much has to happen, sooner or later, unless some kind of wild card gets tossed into the game.

Like massive aid from China--for a massive price.

If not, the water plants will eventually shut down entirely or maybe just intermittently provide a thick brown sludge like they do in Harare, the capitol of Zimbabwe.

The water may run out because the electricity ran out. Or the fuel. Or the brains. Everything depends on everything else.

The world population is about 7.5 billion, at the moment. And rising fast. Food production is not rising at anywhere near the same rate. Everybody's breadbasket gets emptier (and more expensive to fill) every year.

The poor are the ones that always get hit first and hardest. But who cares? The poor die in every famine, and the rich are mostly just glad they aren't poor.

Every year we, as a species, become more dependent on a silly little fad called "technology"--which is what mostly got us into this predicament in the first place.

If we had just let 80% of our children die of disease and animal predation for the last 5,000 years we'd probably all be sitting around our campfires, gnawing a lion's leftovers, scratching our lice, and wondering if a little overcrowding was really such a bad thing if it meant we could get cable TV, a hot shower, and a triple-mocha latte at Starbucks.

There will be a die-off, and places like Cape Town will merely be the most conveniently newsworthy--at the moment.

Civilization is like a blind-folded high-wire artist standing on one foot while spinning five Hula-Hoops with the other, bouncing up and down, and spinning eighteen plates on skinny bamboo whippy-rods.

And we, my friends, are the plates.

Zimmy, Bandit99, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Big AG destroyed the small family farm in the 60-70s. There is not enough land for corporate farming without changing infrastructure to interconnected plot-farms. The other alternative is that the small family farm is reawakening in America. Look at how many of us are gardening, raising rabbits and small-stock? We can take the small farming community and it's economy back one vacant lot at a time.

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm not sure whether Australia's Radio National (RN) is an equivalent to the USA's NPR, but RN has some interesting, and entertaining programming....

UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

So does NPR chello. some really good programming. It's just that their reporting and editorializing of politics are so liberal that a conservattive falls into swearing at the voices coming from the dashboard. And, they ruthlessly bash anyone with a conservative viewpoint but nonetheless, I do enjoy many of their non-political broadcasts

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I don't remember how many times I've been told we will run out of enough food, water,energy, you name it to support the population in the next (usually) ten years. We were all supposed to die a horrible death in each of the nearly six decades I've walked this Earth. Now that Al Gore's weather hoax for profit and power is no longer bending any ears they have to move on to some other fear tactic.

South Africa has made the mess for themselves. It's been almost completely unreported but it's almost as bad to be white in South Africa as it is to be in Zimbabwe. They have been so consumed by their social justice genocidal wrath against whites that they are losing track of the important things.

Bandit99, Motomom34, sarawolf and 2 others like this.
  18. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I do believe that Fox & Friends and Alex Jones's Info Wars have the same kind of emetic effects for some... :LOL:

RightHand likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Which crops are farmers being paided to not grow, Wheat,corn, etc?

sarawolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7