1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could crack most types of encryption

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Jan 2, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

In room-size metal boxes, secure against electromagnetic leaks, the National Security Agency is racing to build a computer that could break nearly every kind of encryption used to protect banking, medical, business and government records around the world.

According to documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, the effort to build “a cryptologically useful quantum computer” — a machine exponentially faster than classical computers — is part of a $79.7 million research program titled, “Penetrating Hard Targets.” Much of the work is hosted under classified contracts at a laboratory in College Park.

The development of a quantum computer has long been a goal of many in the scientific community, with revolutionary implications for fields like medicine as well as for the NSA’s code-breaking mission. With such technology, all forms of public key encryption would be broken, including those used on many secure Web sites as well as the type used to protect state secrets.

Physicists and computer scientists have long speculated whether the NSA’s efforts are more advanced than those of the best civilian labs. Although the full extent of the agency’s research remains unknown, the documents provided by Snowden suggest that the NSA is no closer to success than others in the scientific community.

“It seems improbable that the NSA could be that far ahead of the open world without anybody knowing it,” said Scott Aaronson, an associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science at MIT.

NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could crack most types of encryption - The Washington Post
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I agree with the Prof..... This is just MisInformation, being spread around to cause folks to be Paranoid.... False Flag Stuff....
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I read several years ago about the possibility of using diamonds for core processing. Instantaneous response, OS boot in a flat second, that kind of stuff.
  4. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I, for one, don't doubt the reports at all. During my affiliation with the organization, the agency was always a good ten years ahead of what was considered "state of the art" in the rest of the world.

Most of the technology that I interacted with was so far above my understanding that it seemed to be magic. I would tell the tech office what sort of problem I was having in intercepting a signal, and in a few days they would bring me a little black box. I'd route the signal into one end, and plaintext would be spit out of the other. No more problem.

When you take some of the best brains in the business, and supply them with practically unlimited funds and nation state-level support, amazing things can, and do, happen. As I've said before, I left that organization, after two decades of affiliation, with a healthy amount of respect for its capabilities. I would never stand up and say that ANYTHING is beyond NSA's technological potential.
    Mindgrinder, kellory and Brokor like this.
  5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Bipolar WINNING M.L.F.

1. TI.Proof
  2. TI.Proof
  3. azrancher
  4. Motomom34
  5. melbo
  6. CATO
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. sec_monkey
  11. BTPost
  12. 10brokenpromises