Odd guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Nov 20, 2018.

1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

i wanted to start this tread for awhile so here goes. What odd gun or guns do you Own? I have a 410/.22 that is a side by side that is made in Germany. I have tried to find someone who new something about it without any replies. I also have a Springfield .45/70 trapdoor rifle,a Springfield .45/70 trapdoor carbine and a Remington rolling lock .44-40. What do you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2018
    DuxDawg, GOG, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  2. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

DSC05463.

DSC06619 (1).

DSC06557.

DSC06824.

DSC06789.

DSC06576.

DSC06782.

I have a few odd guns...its good to be different....:D
    Andy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    DuxDawg, GOG, reloader762 and 11 others like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Just the Odd 22.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

How about a .500 Jefferies, that odd enough? I built a replica of a Jeffries on a Daumoline Mauser Magnum from 1922 Rhodesia! Kicks HARD as hell, and is a serious blast, but super cool and fun to shoot! It is meant to be the end game for serious predators that might kill me back! So far it has killed lots of paper, but no Grizzlies or Coastal Browns yet!
    [​IMG]

GOG, Sapper John, Mountainman and 5 others like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I like to build odd muzzle loaders, some intentionally primitive like the Fuzzbean inspired 28ga shotgun, and some as problem solving exercises like the AR50ML (Muzzle Loader).
    Yooper. old camera pics 485.JPG

GOG, Mountainman, duane and 3 others like this.
  6. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I would bet that the 45/70 is owned by older men and many of the Monkeys here. My boy likes shooting mine. Puts a smile on your face!

7. hot diggity

Lee 450405HB, In the old Gibbs they'll knock down anything I need to around here. I like the "Boom.......SMACK!" as they impact at a distance.
    [​IMG]

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

FN made 98 Mauser converted to .45ACP, feeds from 1911 magazines.

GOG, Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

image. My oddest, or at least least common is a Whitneyville Armory No. 1 revolver in .22 short. This pic isn't of mine, but extremely close...mine has a steel frame vs. brass as shown.

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

takedowns. Well, not exactly an odd gun other than it's an evil fully semi automatic 112 year old rifle wearing a 3 digit serial number.
    it's the child of JMB.
    Father to the Model 8
    Grandfather to the Model 81.

And it's mine.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. hot diggity

@VisuTrac, What's the caliber on your Model 8? I have one in .32 Remington. Loads of fun to shoot. Look at that safety and see if it doesn't look like Mikhail Kalashnikov borrowed a bit from John Browning

I love the old take-down rifles. From a time when men traveled with their rifles on trains.

Gator 45/70 and VisuTrac like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Would that be a 351 self loading, I had a 351 self loading deer hunting before ammo got too high.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. VisuTrac

Actually it's a Remington Autoloading Rifle. Remington introduced/renamed it to the Model 8 in 1911.

this one is from 1906 in .35 Remington. I love that it feeds from stripper clips. I found that I could use 8mm Mauser stripper clips to hold the cartridge as original stripper clips .. when you can find them are usually north of 70 bucks each.

Not the most precision rifle, but it'll do minute of deer all day long.

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  14. hot diggity

At least the .35 Remington cartridge still has good availablity commercially. It's a thumper too! My neighbors dad had one with a side mounted scope. I do just fine with the full buckhorn sight on mine. I found, unintentionally, that I could make .32 Remington fire almost silently with a reduced load that didn't quite fully cycle the action. Total sound was of the hammer falling, action clicking, and bullet striking the target. It was fast enough to stabilize the bullet, and grouped fairly well, but S.E.E. (Secondary Explosive Effect) makes me steer clear of these loads.

15. hot diggity

Sorry, I missed that. I was distracted by the brilliant white spacer on the butt plate, and missed it.

16. VisuTrac

it appears that a long since passed relative refinished this one back in the late 40's early 50's when the spacer was all the rage. Killed the collector value but i'm not a collector, and she's not a safe queen.

GOG, Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  17. reloader762

reloader762 Boolit Master

All my old rifles are commie guns, but they are excellent shooters especially with my cast lead bullets.
    1954r Russian Black Bolt SKS.
    [​IMG]

1934 M91/30 HEX receiver.
    [​IMG]

Brokor, Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and 2 others like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

self protector.
    This is the knife to take to a knife fight.

GOG, Gator 45/70, reloader762 and 4 others like this.
  19. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Not the most fancy rifle...But it may be odd to younger folk...who don't remember "Department Store Brand Goods".
    My JC Higgins Model 50 rifle in .30-06 , Scope is a Leupold 3x9 .
    ( Stock is a replacement which came with the rifle , the original stocks were walnut )

What makes this an "odd" rifle is that this rifle was sold thru Sears under the trade name of JC Higgins....Its a Belgium Browning Mauser 98 action with a chrome lined barrel made by High Standard...all assembled here in the USA for Sears , in the 1950's and 60's.

These rifles shoot like a house afire and are often overlooked as "Sporterized Mauser" , Which it isn't , this was built on the Mauser Commercial Action or because of the Store Brand Name.
    If you see one for sale and have always wanted a Mauser Sporting rifle , but like me , could never afford one , I'd suggest that you pick it up.
    Andy
    DSC06725.

GOG, VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  20. hot diggity

Pistola a Rotazione Modello 1889 (Bodeo)

This is the Italian (enlisted) revolver. It's in 10.4mm Ital. Ord. The slightly bottle-necked cartridge is the original design. The slightly tapered cartridge is my case conversion that I have named ".42 Special" since it uses a .422" bullet diameter. The folding trigger drops down into position when the hammer is cocked.

I got a call about this one. "Hey, do you want to buy a pistol you can't find ammo for?" ....sounded like a challenge to me. :)
    Ital. Ord.

GOG, VisuTrac, 3cyl and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7