Ok folks, we need some help!

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by GrayGhost, Jul 9, 2017.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

So, these lil suckers popped up litreally overnight, and they're eating our kohlrabi!!

Any ideas on what they are and a non-toxic (to us) way of getting rid of them?

20170709_191603.

2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Flea Beetles

[​IMG]

CONTROL AND PREVENTION
    HOW TO GET RID OF FLEA BEETLES
    • Try this homemade spray to control flea beetles: 2 parts rubbing alcohol, 5 parts water, and 1 tablespoon liquid soap. Spray the mixture on the foliage of garden plants that are susceptible to these pests.
    • Dusting your plants with plain talcum powder repels flea beetles on tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and other plants.
    • Use white sticky traps to capture flea beetles as they jump.
    • Insecticides may be used early in the season, but are generally unnecessary in the control of flea beetles on adult plants. Be extra diligent if your soil has history of bacterial diseases. Please contact your local nursery or cooperative extension for further advice.
    PREVENT FLEA BEETLES
    • In the spring, emerging flea beetles will be waiting to feast on your garden. Cut off their food supply by delaying transplanting or planting by a couple weeks if possible.
    • In the fall, till the garden to unearth any hiding flea beetles. This will also make soil easier to work the next spring.
    • Row covers may be successful at keeping these pests out, as long as they are completely sealed. They should be used immediately after transplanting, so the pests do not have time to find the plant.
    • Flea beetles are repelled by catnip and basil. They are attracted by nasturtium and radishes. You can plant these as traps for the flea beetles so that they do not attack other more valuable plants.
    • Check out these tips to attract beneficial insects, which will prey on flea beetles.

natshare, DuxDawg, arleigh and 6 others like this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Kohlrabi | Diseases and Pests, Description, Uses, Propagation

[​IMG]

"
    Symptoms
    Small holes or pits in leaves that give the foliage a characteristic “shothole” appearance; young plants and seedlings are particularly susceptible; plant growth may be reduced; if damage is severe the plant may be killed; the pest responsible for the damage is a small (1.5–3.0 mm) dark colored beetle which jumps when disturbed; the beetles are often shiny in appearance
    Cause
    Insects
    Comments
    Younger plants are more susceptible to flea beetle damage than older ones; older plants can tolerate infestation; flea beetles may overwinter on nearby weed species, in plant debris or in the soil; insects may go through a second or third generation in one year
    Management
    In areas where flea beetles are a problem, floating row covers may have to be used prior to the emergence of the beetles to provide a physical barrier to protect young plants; plant seeds early to allow establishment before the beetles become a problem - mature plants are less susceptible to damage; trap crops may provide a measure of control - cruciferous plants are best; application of a thick layer of mulch may help prevent beetles reaching surface; application on diamotecoeus earth or oils such as neem oil are effective control methods for organic growers; application of insecticides containing carbaryl, spinosad, bifenthrin and permethrin can provide adequate control of beetles for up to a week but will need reapplied
    "

Hope that helps.

MG

DuxDawg, arleigh, RightHand and 5 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never seen that pest before. They are consuming @GrayGhost's plants. I would think an infestation that big would be hard to get rid of.

Excellent info @Mindgrinder. They jump so that will be hard to combat.

Tully Mars, Seepalaces and GrayGhost like this.
  5. Mindgrinder

Looks pretty serious...i'll bet that spray with some dish soap will cause them to bugger off but it looks like they'll be back next year or move on to broccoli, kale or other stuff.
    Plant CATNIP in there FIRST next spring might help.

6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Make a tea from the hottest hot peppers you can find.

The best way is to run a batch through a blender with a little water and reduce them to s sludge.
    Add more water, mix thoroughly, and let sit overnight. Then strain the mix through a coffee filter and put it in a spray bottle.

Spray it all over the plants and directly on the flea beetles. Don't be surprised if they go crazy when it hits them.

Respray every five days, or after every rain.

Spray from upwind, so it doesn't blow back in your face.

Wear gloves and wash them thoroughly in a sink full of soapy water afterwards.

Then wash your hands in a complete change of water.

You want to get every trace of it off the gloves, and off your hands, or you'll Be Sorry Later.

If you want an exciting afternoon, get some of it in your eyes, or on your hands and then grab the ole' wiggly wonder wand.

You'll find out you can sing, dance, and cry, all at the same time.

I had a bad infestation of cabbage worms once--well, not me, actually--just my collards.

One light spritz, the merest hint of mist, and those suckers would tie themselves in a knot and instantly fall right off the leaves.

100% effective, and totally harmless to the plants.

Capsaicin is our friend.

7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Our cursory google search came up with the same critter. Thank you all! And now, the battle begins.

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Good luck. They sure look like they're putting a hurting on them plants.

Motomom34, Seepalaces and GrayGhost like this.
  9. Mindgrinder

[​IMG]

DuxDawg, Motomom34, Dont and 6 others like this.
  10. Mindgrinder

Here's some memetic warfare inspiration.
    [​IMG]

Seepalaces, sec_monkey and GrayGhost like this.
  11. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

<family is running out of the house now>
    Thank you, @UncleMorgan, you showed me a hole in my stocks....out of rubbing alcohol. Got a pot of Serranos on the stove as we speak.

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Can I like this twice?

Don't mess with my kohlrabi!

13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Rubbing alcohol is an important item to have in stock....and plenty of!!

14. Mindgrinder

[​IMG]

DuxDawg, Motomom34, M118LR and 5 others like this.
  15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

" Not sure how though, the beautiful one just reminded me of the time I rubbed vodka on her nose!"

I imagine I'll dislike myself for this, but why did you do that? Testing her tongue for length?

Seepalaces and GrayGhost like this.
  16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Not sure how though, the beautiful one one just reminded me of the time I rubbed vodka on her nose!

Mindgrinder and Seepalaces like this.
  17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I'm gonna take the high road on this one...

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Think this through! Are you sure that you shouldn't drop to your knees and thank your deity for sending something to prevent kohlrabi! Guck!!! :cautious:

Tully Mars likes this.
  19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Sorry pal, I will tear up some kohlrabi!

20. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

So as a stop-gap, I cooked up some @UncleMorgan pepper juice until I got some rubbing alcohol, and it seemed to keep them at bay...somewhat. Worked really when when applied, but they would meander back after a time.

Brought some alcohol home tonight and mixed up a @Mindgrinder batch, except that for the water, I used the pepper juice...which i had about a gallon of. After a thorough hosing (see what i did there?!) of said concoction, the little buggers left on the leaves were immobile. Dead...who knows. But they ceased chomping away. Updates to follow.

Thanks all for the help. Nice to know that some have your six.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. hot diggity
  5. chelloveck
  6. BTPost
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. hot diggity
  9. natshare
  10. sec_monkey
  11. Dont