OLD - Did you know? SM Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by melbo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Edit 6/30/12: This is outdated and refers to vBulletin, we are now running xenforo.

This a thread about little tips and tricks for navigating our forums. Seasoned members of this forum often take it for granted that we can navigate this place in 2 or 3 clicks but I realize that some people here are new to forums and might not know the general way normal things can be accomplished.

Feel free to add yours!

#1 You can always get back to the main forum homepage by clicking the survivalmonkey logo while on any page.

[​IMG]

#2 You can click on a users name to send them a Private Message or to see other posts they've made. If they have an avatar, you can click on that to go directly to their profile page.

#3 You can click on your username (Top Right) to get to your profile page.

Falcon15, Cephus and Wild Trapper like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

#4 you can click the "quote" button to post a quote from another users post.

#5 you can search with Google or another engine to locate posts on the forum.

Place this in Google:
    Code:
    site:survivalmonkey.com [U]YOUR SEARCH TERM[/U]

3. RightHand

RightHand Pioneer in a New World Moderator Founding Member

#6 By clicking "Community" on the second menu bar at the top of the page, you can access the "Member List" to find any SM member. From the member list, you can send an email, send a pm, or go to their profile page where you can do either of the above or leave a visitor comment for that member.

4. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

#7 Click on the quotation marks (instead of "quote") at the bottom of multiple posts, and hit reply. All the posts that you selected will appear, and you can respond to all of them in one message.

Brokor likes this.
  5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I just noticed the "Like" button you can click if you like someones post. Something like a "Thanks" button. Thanks for that addition.

Tracy, Cephus, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  6. melbo

#8 You can 'subscribe' to a thread by clicking Thread Tools at the top of the first post and then selecting Subscribe to this Thread in the dropdown. You'll then have the option of being notified instantly, daily or weekly when new posts are added to this thread.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also do the same in a Forum and this could be useful if you are interested in (for example), the Reading Room and wanted an email notification when a new thread was posted. I subscribe to several Forums on this site so I know when a new Thread is posted.

[​IMG]

ETA - by ghrit
    8A - You can also subscribe to a thread by posting in it. Use the "subscribe" tool if you want to read, but have nothing to contribute at the time. You can unsubscribe from your CP if you lose interest in the topic.

Wild Trapper likes this.
  7. melbo

#9 You can view 'Who Posted' in a thread either in Todays posts, New Psots or when browsing the Threads in a Forum by clicking on the 'Replies' number:

[​IMG]

In the window that pops up, you can see the usernames that posted in that thread.
    You can then click on the number next to a username to open a screen that shows you each post that member made in the thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. melbo

#10 You can disable that annoying pop-up toolbar at the bottom of your screen by finding the box in the lower left corner of the forum and selecting Default Style - No Navbar in Footer. If you want this to stick, go into your UserCP and select this as your default style.

If you want to be really cutting edge, select 2.0 Style ;)

Survivalmonkey 2.0 Style
    [​IMG]

scrapman21009 likes this.
  9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Dang, guess it's not true. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
    I didn't know about clicking on the replies number, too cool!

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

And.... it shows up in your reply box where you can delete out what's not relevant by putting your mouse behind what ever you want to get rid of then backspacing. This is really nice because you don't have to quote everything they posted leaving only the sentence or two from their original post that's of consequence. It's hard when someone quotes a whole looooooong post trying to figure out what part of what someone originally typed they were really trying to reference.
    Added bonus of clicking on the little arrow is that it will take you back to the original quoted post where you can read a whole thread in its entirety without cluttering up the thread you're posting in with long quotes of previously posted material.

Brokor likes this.
  11. melbo

I didn't realize this feature existed until 2 weeks ago.

12. Brokor

If you add specific words in your thread title, it makes it easier to search for information later.

Threads with the title, "Guess What?" is inviting, but it says nothing about its contents.

13. melbo

That's true. Perhaps a thread entitled "Will You Please?"
    When someone says Knock Knock, you expect something after you say Who's There?

I edit where I can to try and clarify ambiguous thread titles.
    Worst is "Guess What" with just a link for a post. It's the forum admin's nails on a chalkboard.

14. Brokor

lol, I did search for this thread and didn't find it, but I realized where it would be located. It wasn't the primer for my post, but it certainly reinforces it! :)

15. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

#11. When you totally forget your password and bomb out after too many attempts, you can click the "forgot password?" link and get an email with a new one. Then you can login and admit you did it on the "Did You Know?" topic and pretend you are helping others who think you must be complety clueless. [srn]

melbo, Tracy and Brokor like this.
  16. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I can not remember who it was that was looking for all the Firearms and Military field manuals but here is a quick way to find them a lot of them. I am unsure if this is all of them.

Go to the top of the page, main header and click on the PDF's and/or the Files button.

PDF's hotlink - http://www.survivalmonkey.com/field_manuals_in_pdf.htm

Files hotlink -http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/downloads.php

ETA: On the same main header click on the Articles button to get to the Survivalmonkey.com home page for a nice collection of Articles that melbo has collected.

Articles hotlink - http://www.survivalmonkey.com/extended.htm

17. melbo

Thanks Colt. We actually plan to migrate some of the better articles from the forum over to that Articles link in the coming months

18. dfq3

dfq3 Monkey+

These posts are helpful to me as a newbie...thanks,dfq3

19. melbo

Chatbox/Shoutbox tips:

Although the view-able area of the Chatbox is pretty slim, you can expand it to see either 100 recent chats or 500 recent chats per page and the 'archive' goes back until the last time we were forced to reset it after an upgrade.

Just find the button that's labeled 'Chatbox' at the top left side of the chatbox, you'll see the drop downs for 'Chatbox Full' and Chatbox Archive'. Screenshots below:
    Screenshot-4. Screenshot-5.

20. melbo

Falcon15 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7