Old ht's. worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sdr, Feb 4, 2018.

1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Few years back a guy gave me 2 of these with a charger. Haven't transmitted on them but they power up OK.

He seemed to act like they were something special or unique. Can't find much info on the web about them.

Anybody have a clue? Trash or treasure? d69bee37-b305-475e-9325-ec46807280e5. 06fa78bc-e7ca-420f-b7f2-753e150afe64.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, worth keeping if they work. May be limited to between the two you have, but ----. Google "Motorola STX." I didn't look close enough to see if they can be used on ham bands, and you'll need to check that the frequencies are legal, but it seems that they are programmable in the 70 cm band.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

I go back to the Gonset radio's of the 1950's, everything made in the US, tube, and the 2 meter one cost over $200 in 1956 and my base pay in the USAF was $77.10 a month, so I never owned one. There was a reason that a lot of the older hams built their own stuff or modified surplus. You can say what you wish, but the price, quality, features, and efficiency of the modern transceiver is beyond anything that even the military could buy in 1956 and cheap to boot.

sec_monkey and Oltymer like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Can't get cheaper than free unless someone pays you to take em. Sure there's better and cheaper stuff but it is the kind of stuff that would not likely be in the budget for most preppers until way, way down on the lists so take it as a windfall and realize that even with 1950s technology, you got a potentially useful tool.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is an Obsolete Radio, that is Computer Programmable with the right Cable & Software... They were built in both VHF &UHF versions... Audio, Battery, Charges, and Antennas, are still available for them, on the 3rd Party Market... So basically you need to find a Shop. that has the Programming Software & Cable, and get it on the frequency that you need....

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Honestly not sure what I would do with them. Doubt I'll ever spend the time trying to get them reprogrammed. Thinking I should sell them on eBay.

7. BTPost

You won’t get much for them, better to ask around to see if someone can program them for you... If UHF, get them on a FRS Channel, if VHF get them on a MURS Channel... and use the for the kids or GrandKids...

Both Cabies & Software are available on FleaBay for these Radios...

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. BTPost

I keep a bunch of obsolete Vhf & Uhf Handhels around a Guest Throw-Aways. for when visitors come by for a visit... If they get lost or busted, it is No Biggie, as I do not have much invested.. and I do not let anyone use our Primary Portables, just these Throw-Aways...

sec_monkey and duane like this.
  9. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Hmm. Good point. These radios feel very sturdy. Bet they could take a beating. I'll check on the reprogramming.

10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Good well built radios that were capable of trunking operation. They will put out a solid 4 watts all day long, and make a pretty good head cracker when needed. Like BT said, they won't bring much on the market but will outlast the Chinese crap by a factor of 10.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Keep them around but don't spend any real money on them.

ghrit likes this.
  12. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Well. After a bit of research it looks like I won't be able to reprogram them. At least not without alot of brain damage. Can't find the right cable, programming software requires an old DOS based computer and looks like a converter box of some kind is needed between the radio and computer.

Am I missing something? Any easier way of doing it?

13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A RIB is a given...but dos can be found online and run in a virtual machine.

Any clue what frequencies are in them currently?

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. BTPost

The make Programming Cables where the RIB is built-in, with a USB Connection, and just about any Microsquach OS up to and including XP will run the Programming Software... I run all mine on a Virtual Machine XP that runs on top of my Mac OSX 10.11.6 OS... thru a Networked USB Server... but I still keep an old Gateway 2000 Laptop running XP as a backup Programming Device...

15. sdr

sdr Monkey++

No idea what frequency. I could fire up the analyzer and find out. Looks like only two pins on the radio port are used for the interface. I have a Kenwood programming cable that I use with chirp software. Wonder if it could be adapted.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My nickle says if those two can talk to each other with no further fussin' and stewin', go with what you have.

17. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

They're interesting old rigs and probably built like a tank...but ask yourself if it's worth all that hassle just to have an amateur band HT. Assuming you get it to work on an amateur band, does it even have a PL or repeater split capability? Otherwise all you've got is a really nice vintage simplex radio. Yay!

If you just want to tinker around then ok cool, go for it. If you want a practical, working radio, then go get yourself a nice Yeasu or Kenwood or Icom HT (if you don't have one already) that out of the box will do 10x whatever is in that Motorola brick, without having to jump through hoops.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'd be surprised if you can get into them much less make them useful. I wouldn't test with out some kind of antenna and a frequency counter .
    I've seem commercial Motorola radios that were resin filled ,you could drive on them with a truck and not hurt them .
    But they were not modifiable .
    Some of the early sheriff's 800 megs were strictly repeater/cell dependent and could not communicate to one another without the repeater, later on that was changed .but the were the worst piece of equipment the sheriffs department had ever been talked into .
    Just because something is new doesn't make it better.
    the claim was the no ne had the technology to listen in ,and one of the hams that happen to be at the presentation disagreed with them and provided them a read out of the previous days conversations He had recorded .
    The officials ignored the ham and saddled the selves with those useless bricks.
    On searches we resorted to ham radios ,those of us with license .
    I'm not saying that is what you got It's just Motorola builds custom specs, and not with in ham license parameters necessarily.

19. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

there are free versions of DOS plus unix clones can run versions of DOS or somethin to program them with (y) (y)

20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Problem is, anything over 75 mhz processor will turn them into a brick. The radio can't handle it, says the man with a few parts radios on the shelf that have been bricked.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7