Old Poulan pro

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by oil pan 4, Jan 21, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was going through some of the junk the last guy left behind at my new place.
    The other day it got pretty warm so I was going through stuff in the shed. And found an old Poulan pro with the engine size in cubic inches, but new enough to have a chain brake.
    It has a 2 cubic inch engine, put fresh gas and it fired right up.
    Any idea how old it is and do the old ones suck as much as the new ones?

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you have a picture?

3. I bought a Poulan 306-A new in 1976, Still runs great, cut LOTS of fire wood and downed timber. You're right though the new ones suck.

4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

If it runs, use it, I've had a couple of Husqvarna's that needed a new carb, no amount of cleaning on the old carb would make it run at more than an idle, new carbs cost only $10-15 bucks, so it's an easy repair.

Rancher

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

AZ soak in boil water & peroxide 50 /50 a few times , you can keep the fuel needle still in if its open Not the adjustment needles , the one that the diaphragm works .Peroxide wont damage the neoprene tip.
    Were trying to soften and clean out the fuel gum , that has got many of my smaller carbs fixed. Then I use only pure AV fuel no fillers & crap . I have not had a problem in years on that fuel
    @azrancher

Sloth

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I will get a picture of it tomorrow.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had never even heard of Poulan until I got stationed on the east coast! We had McCullough, and Homelite, and if you were real serious you had a Husquvarna, or one of them fancy "Foreign Jobs" from Sthil! LOL, seriously, I grew up in logging country, and I don't ever think any one had one unless it was something specialized, or for around the farm. Only thing I can think of is check the cylinder and rings to make sure you have good compression and a good ring seal for crank scavenging or it will never run right! IF the carb doesn't do the trick, that's where I would look!

8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

A little confusing that Wilki post, Husqvarna predate Poulan by a fair amount, and have been building saws and other small engine tools far longer and for more industrial uses then Poulan! Husky may own them now, and Husky has really slid down the hill of quality and durability they were most famous for, so it doesn't say much for ether!
    Sad really, Husqvarna were once a true powerhouse in high quality tools and Motorcycles, now they are barely a footnote!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. sec_monkey

The Poulan Saw Co. was founded in 1912 n was based in Shreveport, Louisiana

Husqvarna was a gun mfg. founded in 1689 in Sweden they later got into consumer goods

Poulan is still apparently owned by Husqvarna A.B. Sweden

The company claims that some of their products are manufactured or assembled here in the US, but some parts might be imported

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have 18 acres with a lot of dead, dried dirty wood on it.
    If I want the standard steel chain on my 60cc echo to last as long as a tank of gas before it gets dull I have to saw through the dirt filled bark on a big tree with one of my smaller saws with a low profile carbide chain.
    I need to get athe least one 3/8 pitch full chisel carbide chain with 81 cutters but they are around $200.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  12. sec_monkey

@oil pan 4 ya got a model #?

is it a post-1984 Poulan Pro?

They have been part of the Husqvarna group since around 1984, Husqvarna was spun off by its parent company years later

Husqvarna owns these brands

Husqvarna
    Gardena
    McCulloch
    PoulanPro
    WeedEater
    Flymo
    Jonsered
    Klippo
    Diamant Boart
    RedMax

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When I put fresh gas in it it fired right up, but I don't think the chain was getting any oil, it was leaking down around the bar to power head mating area, probably just needs to be cleaned and the side plate put on correctly. Only cut one branch with it.
    I will get the info off it tomorrow.
    I doubt it was made before 1984.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Allways run premium gas without any alcohal added to the gas.. That corn fed gas will eat up any rubber in the engine..

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have an ethanol free place in town.

sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The only Poulan saws I ever saw were used by pulp wooders, Some know these as Bow saws.

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7