Onan Diesel Genset $250US

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, Here is a nice little Onan Diesel Genset that if PERFECT for Off-Grid Outfits... It is 3Kw, 1800Rpm, AND Water Cooled.... so you can mount a Radiator, inside your Cabin, with an Electric Fan, on it and use all the cooling BTUs to keep you warm in the winters....

MDJA Onan 3kw single cylinder diesel generator

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No wonder it's for sale, this guy is a bit short of something. This, in the ad, is just priceless.
    "This is an 1800 rpm model which runs slower than the 3600 rpm---"

As much fun as it would be to play with it and get it up and running, Rainier OR is a bit of a haul from here, so I'll pass ---

kellory likes this.
  3. BTPost

I posted this, as some newbie Monkeys were saying cheap Onan's aren't really around... I have 2 of these, and they are really good for Off-Grid Operations.... Will run all day on a Gallon of Diesel, charge your Inverter Batteries, and Heat the Cabin.... All for $250US... That is about 1/2, of what a Big Box Store "Screamer" will cost, and these Onans will still be running when your Grandchildren take over the place, if you do the required Maintenance on them... @ghrit .... If you are interested, I can forward some in your area, when I see them pop up...

sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  4. ghrit

That 250 is the start, it has no radiator and who knows what else it's missing. That said, the parts are not backbreaking expensive and the end result would be a nice bit of kit. No, I'm not interested enough to take on another project at this time. Maybe next year ---

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If you find one like it in my AO, I might be interested for my hunting cabin. How quiet can they be made to run?.
    I don't want to spook all the game for a morning hunt.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. BTPost

1800 Rpm, and with a Medical Grade Muffler, the Mechanical Noise is more than the Exhaust Noise...

kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And you can overcome a lot of the mechanical noise by having it located in an insulated shelter.... there is a lot of sound batting material out there to deaden most noise.

kellory and sec_monkey like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb]

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, if I do this, it will be in it's own shed, adjacent to the main structure, but it does have to be vented. How much clearance would be needed, or would I be better to simply make a removable/ lock down shell for it?

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It's a marine model. It appears to have used water for cooling, perhaps salt water?? 0

11. ghrit

Considering access for maintenance, fueling, and service is the thing. A lift off shell would be far smaller. Operating clearance requirements are essentially nil, just allow for vibration, say a couple inches more or less.

sec_monkey, 3M-TA3 and kellory like this.
  12. BTPost

Yes, It is a marine Unit, but its does have a Heat Exchanger built-in... This means that if it came from Salt water, the salt water did NOT run thru the Engine Loop, but only thru the Raw Water Loop.... which means it is Perfect for Off-Grid as you can plumb anything into the Raw Water Loop, to dissipate the Cooling BTUs and it doesn't effect the Engine Loop, as long as you remove the Cooling BTUs from the Engine Loop... We call this Co-Generation.... Power and Heat from the same source....

duane, Tikka, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

That is a lot better than what I thought; thanks.

14. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

I would already be on the way to look at it if it were close. :D

15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I like the idea of your thread, BT. Diesel gensets new are costly as hell. But they run for just about ever. So if they're used they most likely have a bit of life in them.

1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001

Generator FAQ, By Steve Dunlop. [img]