Onan Generator Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BenP, Aug 21, 2020.

1. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The love of my life stopped generating full power on one 120 leg a few weeks ago so I took the cover off and found a bad bearing. I am not sure the bearing is the source of the low power but it is a good place to start. I finally got around to taking it apart today.
    IMG_20200821_150216.

STANGF150, techsar, duane and 4 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Haven't had that much fun in at least 10 years. Don't miss it, either. (Did enjoy ripping things apart and getting them back together and run. But getting up and down off the floor is just too dern difficult these days.)

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Looks as if the Varnish is a bit toasty.
    May be time to Toe Tag it.

techsar, BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Oh, My God!! Reseating brushes on the sliprings... Not to mention ringing out the Field windings to find out if they are open...

Best of luck and I hope the fix is an easy and inexpensive one.

Tully Mars, techsar, BenP and 3 others like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If it still Started using the Genend as the Starter, then all the Field Windings are still good, and that is not the issue... I would look at the Stator windings, and compare resistance of both legs... Should be within a few mil-ohms of each other...Since I am not in Alaska, for this winter, I can not offer any Parts, but next spring that will change... If you have a good MotorShop local to you, you might ask for a Rewind Quote for the Stator Windings...

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Brgs won't usually knock out one leg nor will field windings. If it isn't a bad outlet or breaker, usually a stator problem with 1 leg of the winding. Lose one leg, usually simple or fatal in most gensets. Takes a pretty good one before the cost of replacing a rotor or stator is worth it. Wish it wasn't so, but it is Most gensets use one voltage reg and field to handle both legs.

techsar, BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. BTPost

These Onans are regulated by the Field to Stator Winding Ratio, and not by any AVR Circuit.. They have a DC Motor Winding on the same Rotor as the rotating Field Winding... This is an ALL OLD SCHOOL Design...

Tully Mars, techsar, BenP and 2 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Bearings may have been the path of least resistance and may have welded solid.

9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I will fix it if possible, I can't find anything similar that is produced today. Diesel, 3KW, 1800 RPM.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Just got a quote on rewinding a 7,5 kw.....$1300! They said they would have to send it to Atlanta because it was oval. So we're going to retrofit a Chinese 10kw ST head onto the engine.

11. BenP

BenP Monkey++

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nice meter... Guess it isn't the field windings. 2K Ohm scale, reading within 1 Ohm difference, if my math is right.

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Hopefully it is just a brush. My new bearing didn't fit so I ordered the correct one today.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Might also check from the rings to the shaft...seen weirder things.

But keeping fingers crossed for a brush issue. Lots cheaper to fix. :)

BenP and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Can it be the fields have de-energized. I know we had some CAT SR4's that needed a 12v source to excite the fields and once 120/240 was sensed the relay would remove the 12volt source? Just curious if this can be the same issue.

BenP, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  16. BTPost

No not really, as the same windings are used as the Starter Motor, when cranking the Genset, and that Flashes the Fields, every time you Start the engine...

17. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I will check it tomorrow.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I think I found the problem. This collector ring has one ring with a flat spot. That brush would have to be on its game 100% of the time to remain in contact with it.
    IMG_20200827_171324.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to think that any good starter rebuilding shop can sort that out for you if can get the rotor out and take it to the shop. I'd hate to try to fix that one without turning it.

20. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Can anyone think of a tool I can use to turn this in place?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7