Open Source Router firmware

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Sep 29, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I posted on this years ago I like DD-WRT firmware but there are many nice open source firmware for consumer routers.

"Few routers utilize their full potential out of the box because their firmware limits their functionality. Thanks to an open-source projects, you can unlock your router’s potential to broadcast a stronger signal, manage network traffic, remotely access all your home computers, and a whole lot more. Here’s how to install it, set it up, and supercharge your network."

Tomato is many folks favorite and I can't fault anyone on any of the open source Linux firmware builds for consumer routers.

How to Supercharge Your Router with DD-WRT
    A comparison of open source firmware.
    DD-WRT vs. Tomato vs. Open WRT? - VPN Service Reviews 2015 | VPNPick.com

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Been using DD-WRT for several years to operate a repeater bridge ?? (can't remember now, been awhile) to connect a computer in my shop, which is a short distance from my house. It connects wirelessly from the repeater bridge to my router. The computer in my shop is connected to the repeater bridge over the ether port, but it gives me 3 more ether ports out there if I need to connect anything else.

Love DD-WRT, although I turned the power down a bit as I understand the hardware lasts longer if you don't hot rod it too much. It can go to 250 mW with DD-WRT. I think max was 60 mW the factory software non-adjustable. Set mine at around 100 mW and it's been running just fine like that for the past 5 years or so. Of course, this software opens up lots of other capabilities as well.

Dont, stg58, Marck and 1 other person like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I have DD-WRT and Tomato running on my Routers, now, and will be doing something Different, when I get back from Vacation, as my SAT based IP Links will be gone. My Main Router runs Cisco OS and does most of the Heavy Lifting.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7