Oregon & Washington Monkeys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Shout-out to all of the Oregon & Washington Monkeys! Been watching the news and wanted to make sure you are safe. I see the PNW is burning, lots of wind and extremely dry. A whole town has pretty much burned. These fires are all near I-5 which is causing evacuation issues.

Many of you have been in my thoughts. Stay safe.

Screenshot_2020-09-09 ArcGIS - Wildfire and Weather Information Map.

Here is a town that had to be evacuated. Clipped from Twitter.

Screenshot_2020-09-09 Kel Weinhold on Twitter.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    ColtCarbine, Seepalaces, GOG and 7 others like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

We are fine here and in no danger. @Ura-Ki is MUCH closer to the fun than I am.

Have a house full of evacuees since yesterday morning. Smells like we are camping, looks like we are living on Mars. Good thing I have a freezer full of meat and a big ass barbecue...

From my home looking south towards the fires:
    upload_2020-9-9_9-2-49.

Taken by Mrs. 3M on her way back from helping her daughter check on a few things in Stayton. BTW that's a white car and it was about 2 PM
    upload_2020-9-9_9-4-37.
    upload_2020-9-9_9-5-8.

ColtCarbine, Seepalaces, GOG and 6 others like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The sunsets and moonsets here in NM are pretty sweet.
    They lack the purple you get from a volcanic eruption.
    I like to think the deep reds and oranges are burned up liberal dreams.
    When the moon sets it's deep blood red, kinda end of the world looking.

I was watching some house hunter shows in California and they will take a big ass neighborhood and integrate it with the forest, so you open the door to the back yard and there's trees 20ft away or less.
    No standoff with all the wild shit that burns.

Seepalaces, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@3M-TA3 quite the pictures. Sadly the fires make some of the most beautiful sunsets. Heads up, you may not be right in the fire danger but make sure to check your filters. An air/furnace filter gets dirty real fast from all the smoke and ash. I had to change mine because we had ash raining down on us for a week plus. I didn't realize it would get so bad that fast.

Nice that you are taking in refugees.

5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

As of last night, the fires were about 70 mikes away. We are getting smoke, and ash is falling here.

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm praying for you all in these areas. It's a really bad , and scary situation for many out there. I hope you all get thru this as well as possible. Stay safe out there ,, I'll pray for a good week of rain for you guys.

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ura-Ki has been right in the middle of this. Said he was not going to evacuate and thought that the fires would just miss him. Last we heard was late yesterday afternoon on Shoutbox.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So glad you checked in. You were one I was concerned about.

@Seepalaces @Mountainman @Ura-Ki @Dunerunner

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hard to predict with the winds. Read the wind gusts were really bad but boots on the ground would know better.
    How are you @Altoidfishfins? Did you get snow?

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  10. Altoidfishfins

No snow here, Moto. Record heat 100+. The passing cold front is supposed to drop today's temps to the upper 90s.
    Been doing well, enjoying retirement and working on a project or two as I find the motivation.

11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Several decades ago a guy in the hills above LA lost his home to a forest fire. When he rebuilt, he decided to fireproof his house. He installed sprinklers on his roof and under his eaves, then set up a standalone generator to pull water from his pool.

He evacuated again some years later when another major forest fire became a threat. More than 1,200 million-dollar (plus) houses burned to the ground. At the time, it was the largest property loss to a single forest fire in California history.

When the guy came back, his house was the only one in his subdivision still standing, and it was completely undamaged.

In the photo I saw, his house was the only thing left in a charred wasteland.

Why is it that almost no one bothers to protect their house from fire, inside or out?

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I suggest because they figure it is just like insulation to save on power, cost v rewards.
    They usually bet against Mother Nature but the HOUSE always wins.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

I guess they figure insurance will pay to rebuild, so why bother?

And yes, it's a sucky attitude because it drives up home insurance premiums for all of us.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It doesn't matter how fire proof you make a house if you can open a second floor window and touch a tree with a broomstick.

Nature doesn't care how hard you virtue signal.

15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Just chit chatted with him on another forum. He's still doing the do, but it's pretty smokey outside.

Seepalaces, GOG, Gator 45/70 and 5 others like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Very orange here, some light ash. Not under any evacuation orders, fires are East of I-5 150 miles from me but strong down slope Easterly winds are pushing the smoke and ash my way. Very unhealthy air quality, even smoky in the house. Not running any vent fans, only cooking what can be heated without having to run an exhaust fan. Can't bbq because of the fire danger, although most would not notice the extra smoke.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The wind is driving the fire into suburban areas. Towns are being overrun. I read that 3 correctional facilities had to evacuate. Firefighters had to stop fighting the fire and just start pounding on doors because of the wind things go straight to life saving. I have X- family that has been evacuated and they never thought wild fire would be a danger.

Seepalaces, GOG, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Were still kickin! We got very close to loosing the families farms, by less then a mile, were sill at risk, but we made it so far! As long as the winds don't shift to the north right at us, we should make it! Several families further south didn't come out of it, a few friends lost everything! As far as Salem, were still at level 1 evac notice, and the ash is really coming down, and coating everything, we have to wear full masks when out and about! The fire is only about 7 to 8 miles away from the Airport where we live, and the air attack operations are in full swing! Up at the farm, we have plenty of water and we have 4 big portable diesel pumps, and are set up as a forward air attack site for the Heli operations, I have 4 dipping pools set up for them to use, and we have plenty of room for them to operate, as such, the National Guard has sent us a fuel bowser and is keeping us in fuel for the pumps, and to turn and burn on the helos! It's been a long couple of days, lots of damage and loss, but no one has died yet, and were hoping to keep it that way!
    We evac'd all the live stock to Salem, we had set up to take in all the live stock in the area, partly because of our location and the winds, and partly because we have the pudding river right through our lower fields, so we have unlimited water! We started saturation efforts on sunday night, but had to evac all the horses ( About 68 animals) to the Salem fairgrounds, and even there, it's really bad, so, I think they are going to be moving them again, likely north, but I haven't been keeping track! Going to be a long ride, with Cali on fire, and so much of our resources working in that state, it has left us hangin and were suffering badly because of it! Our friends from Canada fire and several other states NOT committed to Cali. have been sending help as they can, but were still overwhelmed!

Will keep updating as I can, y'all stay safe, and for those in the greater Salem area, if you need anything, reach out to me, I have resources, and can help as needed! I have a 80X100 foot hanger at the airport, so I can house lots of people and or belongings, and it's pretty secure! If you have an R/V, even better!

ColtCarbine, Seepalaces, GOG and 11 others like this.
  19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Here I am in Central Texas trying to keep the rain from flooding the house!

Seepalaces, GOG, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  20. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Just talked to my mum, shes ok at the moment, 1 sister had a fire near her thats now under control and other sister has an alert/ready to evacuate order where she is... ok at moment and looks like wind is shifting so hoping it will push fire in other direction. (Corvallis/fern ridge/springfield areas)

Seepalaces, GOG, Dunerunner and 8 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7