Paw Paw, the Indiana Banana

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by 3M-TA3, Sep 28, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ran across this on one of my favorite YouTube channels. I'd heard the name, but really didn't know much about them. Anybody here grow them or harvest wild?

Pretty good article on them. They need a humid environment with a minimum of 400 hours of winter chill along with 160 frost free days. It mentioned that outside of their native area that some have been cultivated in the PNW and I'm aware of several areas that would work. I also have a hunch that the area around Kalispell, MT might be doable as well.
    PAWPAW Fruit Facts

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

We have paw paw that grow here in FLA but it's not a big tree it's a small bush more or less I have one in my front yard it did not put on fruit this year but it did last year

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Have a patch of the over by the persimmon grove, wild ones. Will try to remember to take some picks of the few fruits they made year are ripe. looks like about 2 more weeks for them.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have 2 here in pots that were going to be planted in garden area when they got going. Been 4-5 years and they are pretty much the same size as when I got them. What you said about humidity is definitely true and SW Oregon is not the right environment for them. Wish I would have checked into that before buying.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7