Peanut butter in squeeze packaging

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Sep 25, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

Skippy - 6 oz squeeze pouch

[​IMG]

Skippy 1.16 oz squeeze pouchette

[​IMG]

Skippy in 9 oz squeeze tube.

I'm old enough to remember buying special, after market 'load it yourself' squeeze tubes for peanut butter - a high calorie/high fat + protien trail food.- and then the bother of scooping & packing. It worked but was messy.

Then, MRE peanut butter pouches came into being, but the stuff was pricy. Sometimes hard to find.

I made do with the little Jif tubs, but these are awkward to pack, still, they worked.

Now, we (I mean me) have several choices in Skippy/Jif brands peanut butter.

Nothing against the "Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten free, Fair Trade, Ethically harvested, Green packed" and all that hippy/crunchy stuff - it's just <$>too expensive</$> more than I'm willing to pay for the convenience. .

Now you can carry peanut butter in an easy to use pouch 1.12 oz, or 6 oz,. 9 oz . tubes.

Now, when you carry a ruck this size

[​IMG]

having some high energy food is a must.. (BTW - that's my grand-daughter on a two-week trip into Zion Canyon I had posted about earlier)

I gave her some Jif tubs to carry to supplement the FD Chow taken.

One week into the trip, the group 'looped back' to the entrance & hit town for a pizza break. Every one of the kids came back to camp with a jar of peanut butter. FD Chow has tiny amounts to no fat.& from what my G-daughter said, the fat craving was palatable. The sleet that hit several nights didn't help.

And the freeze dry Chow was terrible - they all hated it.

These 1.1 oz pouches are ideal size to carry along this critical nutrient item, with little to pack out.

MRE - out
    Jiffy pouches - IN!

Peanut butter soup anyone?
    1 or 15 C of water, 1 ('individual' lack) Liptons Chicken Noodle soup (dry) + 1 oz or so of peanut butter. Add in a brick of air-dried Ramen noodles (just the noodles) for a bit more in calories.
    Much better than it sounds. And by day three, better than most anything else you can quickly make. Clean up will take some soap owing the the oil in PB.

Jelly is now sold in smaller squeeze pouches as well.

[​IMG]
    most of the kiddo were humping a ruck almost half their body size... Too much IMO.

2. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

Why not just use a small ziplock bag and cut a corner out and squeeze.
    Inexpensive and disposable when done.

3cyl, Sobospider, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We made do with the Peanut Butter Spoon and a small jar of Adams, but I would love to have those new pouches for my packing!

HK_User, 3M-TA3, Dont and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Good point

However
    put that same sandwich bag in your ruck filled w/ PB and see what 'evolves'.

I'm willing to spend the bit extra. You get to do as you wish - for now, it's still a free country.

For now.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Does it come in chunky?

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

If it ain't Jif
    Then it ain't peanut butter !

HK_User and Meat like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Best post in the history of SM. Wait. Did you know your real parents or should I start snooping on my end? :D

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Many years back I was looking at a site that showed people giving out squeezable packets of peanut butter with honey for starving people in Africa. They showed aid workers giving out pallet loads of the stuff.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

have you ever backpacked with plastic bags? they dont hold up in the movement and you cant reseal a plastic bag with a hole in the corner... you gotta think these things thru otherwise you will be licking peanut butter of your cloths and your shoes:LOL:

SB21, HK_User, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Adopted man, We may be brothers?

Tully Mars, HK_User and Meat like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

PETER PAN!!!!!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

[​IMG]

Just came back from the kitchen with a fold_over of this.

I add a tablespoon of honey to the jar and stir.

Nice midnight snack with less sugar.

[​IMG]

Ganado, DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. HK_User

Not any more.
    [​IMG]

Brokor, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Sobospider

Sobospider Monkey

You want to get freezer bags. You squeeze what is left to the opposite corner, give it a good lick to clean it up, roll and duct tape the roll. This is useful when dividing an economy size can of peanut butter between several hikers. You also want to make sure it gets packed inside your cooking pot so it doesn't get popped if you fall on your pack.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Skippy and JIF are both loaded with sugar... I dont want sugar in my Peanut butter ewwwww....

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Give me Jif
    Or give me death.
    Jif and honey makes an awesome sammich....Just say'n

Merkun and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

Some of us are border line diabetic.
    Again thanks to the DOD and Agent Orange.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Shouldn't be anything in peanut butter besides peanuts...
    also... if you have a vacuum sealer you can put whatever you want in custom made packets. Cut narrow for tubes or angle for triangle shapes (then just snip the tip to use)
    Peanut butter
    Macadamia nut butter
    Hazelnut butter...
    Etc .....
    Personally id recomended making your own pemican for a better “bang for your buck “ (or in this case, space)

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I just picked up some Peter Pan PB from the store, ingredients are as follows:
    Peanuts, salt.

Now that's the way to do it. I like the Coghlan's tubes and also have used them for rice syrup, honey, and molasses for hikes. Mostly, I've relied upon freeze dried food in pouches and make ample use of the Kelly Kettle. Oh, and tea weighs almost nothing and serves to help calm and relax. You can also take along a thermos for cooking and add hot water to your parboiled rice or home made food stuffs, take a hike and come back to a hot meal. No need for pans and active cooking, that's so antiquated.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hey, That's not an everyday thing for me,It's I'm in the woods cutting trees and clean-up type of food.

Now Boudin itself is the perfect in the woods work food.

HK_User likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7