Pepper Preservation Page

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Apr 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I love peppers and get alot of peppers from time to time.... more than i can eat, so preserving them sometimes gets tedious. and like anything else we need short, medium and long term storage/preservation methods.

I recently candied some jalapeno but was having mold problems, canning with sugar is always problematic, I pickled some... they are still sittin in the sun in a window because i can pick in the sun in AZ. I think next time i will use wax on the top of the candied Jalapenos but in my research i also found a quick and easy way to candy store bought jalapenos.

candied Jalapenos (short term storage)

1 (16 ounce) jar HOT sliced jalapenos
    1 cup sugar
    Empty the liquid from the jar and pour jalapenos into a bowl. Add sugar and stir to combine. Spoon jalapeno and sugar back into jar. Put the lid on tight and place them in your refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. The sugar will dissolve and turn to liquid. You may want to turn the jar upside down once or twice to make sure it all dissolves.

I have also deseeded Peppers and poured vodka over them. You cant slice too much or they get mushy. but it makes for great alcohol to drink (in small doses) and you have peppers you can put in your food, stir fry's etc

GrayGhost, Dont, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

1. cut them in half or even quarters so the flesh is open - this allows the pepper to dry out 'faster' and more evenly.
    2. Place them on a cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it in only one layer.
    3. dry the peppers at 200F degrees.
    4. Keep an eye on the peppers and remove those that are dry as need be so they don`t burn.
    5. It can take 1-3 hours.
    6. You can crush them to make flakes or grind them to make a chili powder.
    7. Use a coffee grinder or food processor once they are cooled. And grind to flakes or powder.
    8. Store in a glass jar out of sunlight.
    9. Spices are a KEY item to avoid so-called food fatigue

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or use a dehydrator?

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

My mother and grandmother would place hot peppers in glass jars, fill them with vinager and seal. ( think mason jar) Store in a cool dark area and they would last for years. Plus side is that the vinegar gets infused with the hot peppers and works great as a condiment. Traditional southern delicacy!

GrayGhost, Motomom34, Ganado and 6 others like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Dried red pepper flakes seem to store forever...

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This is true. This is the way my grandparents did it. And it's how I do it now. I like using cayenne peppers. I use it for making my BBQ sauces.

Motomom34, Sapper John and Ganado like this.
  7. Sapper John

This is especially true for making eastern style N.C. BBQ sauce!

SB21 likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Best thing I know to do is grow my own .

Sapper John and SB21 like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's right. That's where my parents and grandparents were from, the eastern end of the state.

Sapper John likes this.
  10. Sapper John

Coastal plains Monkey here!

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol if you grew your own you would know... all the peppers in the fall ripen about the same time .... thus... food preservation is critical and the point of the thread was to find other ways to preserve peppers.

GrayGhost likes this.
  12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I had put some jalapenos up in sweet vinager and boiling water bath.. After a couple years they came out great..

GrayGhost, Ganado and Sapper John like this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Stringing red peppers to dry

with needle and thread

the more classic string and loop method.

GrayGhost, Sapper John and Ganado like this.
  14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

^^^^ This

I dehydrate extras, then grind them into a powder for later use.

Man...I love me some peppers!

This works great for us.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
    Sapper John and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7