Pieces of cloth and fresh bread

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have always believed pieces of cloth are of tremendous value. So much utility in a simple item.

Found out one of my neighbors bakes and sells fresh bread. @Alanaana, Lana is on 12th. I went and picked up a jalapeño cheddar loaf and an artesian bread loaf today. First time buying from her and found out I am getting naked bread (no container).

Not a problem, I always have clean cloth in a zip lock in my truck. In this case it was a bandana and a tenugui (like a Japanese utility and wash cloth, also used to wrap your head before putting the helmet on). Wrapped them up and brought them home. Still warm and the uneaten bits are still wrapped on the counter.

My bag also has a wool kerchief, bandana, and sometimes a gamcha. I have used these handy pieces of cloth for all kinds of stuff like to wrap things, to make a carrier, a belt, to tie something, clean, dry off, wrap veggies, stay warm, cool off, even wore the gamcha instead of pants.

What uses do you find for our handy cloths, be it bandana, shemaugh, towel, etc.

Wifee is a big fan of Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe... towel...

Share your uses and and pictures.

2. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Hanzo This literally looks like heaven in bread! That jalapeño cheddar combo is unmatched :ROFLMAO: (as the young kids like to say these days.) I think I have like 50 lbs to lose so I'm doing Keto, but when I reach my goals and can afford to enjoy yummy food again, I'll have to get in touch with Miss Lana.

I admire how prepared and resourceful you are! I probably would have been unprepared for naked bread. I have bandanas and various cloths, but I'm always using them so quickly.

I hope you and your family will enjoy this beautiful bread! Thank you for sharing!

3. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

The fronts of my cotton T shirts tend to get shredded and looking like swiss cheese but the backs are always near pristine cotton cloth. So I cut them out and have a nice large rectangle of good cotton cloth...... after washed of course ;) They make great a great sweat absorbing bandana or whole head dew rag/skull cap, a great table cloth for a tree stump table meal, roll up in the truck window to keep the sun off the face when napping, wrap roots, shoots and other foraged things up in when you make a unexpected find, usually carry a length of butchers twine in a pocket so can tie the cloth into a makeshift bag easily enough. Wipe the morning dew off a tractor seat to avoid a case of the swamp butt. Cut small they make good patches to swap gun barrels out with. Makes for a better emergency wiping instrument than a sock :) so many more uses I can't think of off the top of my head right now........

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Wife and I whacked a chunk out of it right away.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Also good for flexible weapon applications.

Dunerunner, Alanaana and Meat like this.
  6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yum.

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Alanaana like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Fresh Hot bread would never make it home... Unless it was something that TLMrs sent me out to get for her! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Dunerunner

I meant to add, [drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling][drooling]

sec_monkey, Hanzo, Meat and 1 other person like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

You haven’t lived until you’ve had potato Lefse. If you don’t love it I’ll never post at SM again. *crosses fingers* I can’t make it but I’ll bet talented folks could, even if you’re not Norwegian.

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Don’t know what it is, but sounds good. I DO have a see food diet.

Dunerunner, Meat and sec_monkey like this.
  11. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. have a look at dis .. .. Norwegian Potato Lefse Recipe

.. .. aint never tried it .. .. [dunno] [dunno] .. ..

Dunerunner, Meat and Hanzo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Like a potato crepe?

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Since we had delicious, fresh artesian sandwich bread, sandwiches for dinner. Cooked and shredded chicken breasts with garlic, onion and parsley. Put the hot chicken on the sliced bread with cheese, then topped with mixed greens, tomato and avocado. Topped that with ground black pepper, some of my homemade seasoning mix, and a drizzle of good olive oil.

14. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. [dunno] [dunno] we aint talked ta da viking part uv da family fer 1,138.4036821239 years .. ..

[viking][viking]

[biggrouphug][biggrouphug]

Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

There you go again torturing me! And, here I am slobbering all over myself- again....grumble, grumble, grumble...

Dunerunner, Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sorry?

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Bride and her mother are ALWAYS baking fresh breads and pastries, I swear I gained 50 pounds when I retired just from all that baking! My fav is still the Old Fashioned rustic my mom used to make, and now my wife makes it for me, Give me a loaf and a stick of salted sweet cream butter and a glass ( Ok, Bottle) of cabernet and a big hank of smoked cheddar and i'm in heaven!

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  18. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

got me drooling on my keyboard @Hanzo ! Unfortunately we don't eat much bread in our house. Both my wife and daughter are gluten intolerant and I keep my carb intake low.
    However, back when we did eat bread, I used to love making a "no-knead" fake sourdough from Alton Brown https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/knead-not-sourdough-recipe-1939606
    Loved having fresh sandwiches with this bread. Also loved it when we took it out of the oven and you could hear the crust crackling.

19. Dunerunner

I have this book and have ventured only slightly into bread making from the recipes it contains. If you are into baking breads, I recommend it...

[​IMG]

sec_monkey, Hanzo and Alanaana like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7