Pole Saw's?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Gator 45/70, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm we are in the market for a pole saw....
    Just was looking for members experiences with one and of course what you like personally.

The good
    The bad
    The ugly
    Thanks for any input !!!!!!!!!

duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

More parameters might help seeing the volumes made and applications ,home/woods ?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I guess it depends on what and how much you are going to be using it! My Ranch has lots of shade trees that get abused by the winds and heavy snows and require limbing every spring to remove potential problems, so a Sthil gas powered poll saw was the best option! We do use a manual "Werner" brand poll saw for the lighter stuff, especially the fruit trees and it does a great job! Cost was about $75 IRC

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Some around the house,In the woods cutting limbs high enough to pass a truck thru. F-150
    Beats dragging a ladder around an a 14'' chainsaw.

oldawg and oldman11 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Recall what model Sthil?

HK_User, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have a 20 + year old manual saw, generic with a Sthil blade on it I use all the time, had 2 electric ones, one expensive Sears and one Harbor Freight, both lasted about 2 years, but were a lot easier to use. If blade is sharp and you keep the pitch off of it, they cut quite fast and work good to quite a height and I stand in the pick up bed and get quite a ways up. Found out that if I trim every year and take them off when they are a couple inches thick, it is easy, if you let them get up to 6 in, there is no easy, power or hand, lots of sawdust and big swinging pieces of limbs. YMMV

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

We use Stihl as well, not sure what model.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I bought a Ryobi battery pole saw , just because I didn't feel like I had enough trimming to do to take the chance of the the saw just sitting and going bad. And I already have a few Ryobi tools , so having a few extra batteries is nice. The pole doesn't feel as strong as I'd like it to be , a little flimsy. But as long as I keep the chain sharp , it cuts pretty well. I think the pole is about 10 feet, with my 6 foot height , I get about 16 foot cutting height. I paid less than a hundred bucks for it. If I had more to cut , I'd have definetly got a gas powered one.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Got a genset ? small one ?
    I have stihl Gas to many electric poles .
    For the odd use or once or twice a year ,, go electric , stay away from extending it way long till you learn it.
    It's nice to control the chain and do stuff slow.
    Keep your tools clean and sharp , use a real chainsaw file of the correct chain size and go slow to learn .
    So post up your picks , and tell us your job to complete.
    we have many saws ,, 10+ in both Fuel and electric , then manual Swede saw
    S

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I know a couple of pole dancers.... will that work ?:eek::LOL: Sorry I couldn't resist ;D

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Don't resist,,,
    [worthless]
    :D:D:D

Salted Weapon and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

There ya go baby,Lets ''Turbo Charge'' this thread!!

SB21 and oldawg like this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I have had a Remington "big box store" saw from Lowes. Pole is solid but only extends to 10' but long enough to keep the drive clear for the big truck with 12'8" stacks. Replaced the nylon sprocket a couple times due to also using it way past its capacity on storm damage. A Honda 1200 genny was plenty for it.

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Think I'm leaning towards the Ryobi 8'' due to the fact that a gas powered is as high as a giraffes tongue and since I already have the newer battery's and charger.
    Side question,When is it a good time to prune an Japanese lemon tree,What time of the year so to speak?

15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Just remember it can't be unseen............ and as to the question at hand I use a Stihl pole saw :)

Salted Weapon and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I have the Stihl professional Kombi System with line trimmer, extension and pole saw. I like it a lot, works well. Plus the system breaks down into pieces that are less than about 4 feet long making it easy to store and transport:

KM 91 R KombiSystem | Landscaping Multi-Tool

STIHL HT-KM Pole Pruner - KombiSystem Attachments

STIHL FS-KM STIHL Line Head Trimmer

This extension allows me to cut limbs over 12 feet high plus makes using the line trimmer around the pond and steep banks a good bit easier.
    HT-KM Hedge Trimmer KombiSystem Shaft Extension Attachment

And when you don’t use this stuff very often, the engine does get used enough that the gas stays fresh without draining and the carb doesn’t get a chance to gum up.

Only complaint is the line trimmer hub doesn’t feed line real well and I am regularly stopping to pull out line when it breaks at the hub.

AT

Edit: forgot to mention that I have used the hand saw on a pole. One of the challenges is as you get near the end of the cut the branch can break but not cleanly and can hang from a a strip of sap wood and/or bark peeled from the limb. With the chainsaw on a pole, I use the top side or tip of the bar to first cut the bottom side of a limb a bit, then cut from more near the top. The branch comes down much more cleanly and you aren’t peeling a long strip of bark or sap wood from the under side of the remaining section of limb.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

We have a pole dancing class just down the way, it's beside a farm im at alot of the time. them are some large ladies i see going in ..
    The dancers I've seen use a brass 3" ? type , the thinking these girls are on 6" well pipe!
    Back to saws , Electric is great with a genset on a roadway etc, in a forest the cord is a RPITA , hence i use gas .stihl .Electric is the unit I use in the Man lift "genie " (my spurring up days are over) .Remington is one I use ,=in the pole type, and a few non pole , plus a stihl in electric largest they make , during summer days and the noise on a weekend could pee off some , I use the elly (electric golf cart with solar and a Xantrax 4048 inverter to power the saw. quite and stealth ).
    Light fasts speeds of chain and small pressure (small bites) make the saw last with lots of lube .
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have tried some poll chain saws but they have their limitations.
    I needed to reach limbs 30' high so I did this
    along with extensions I made a stainless steel spring to pressure the saw against the limb while cutting .
    20190328_180509.
    When the poll is 30' up there it is hard to get much pressure on the saw , this works well.

19. Cruisin Sloth

NICE !! I got it !!
    Patent it or should I ;)

ALSO STAY the HELL AWAY from cordless crap !!
    I have a few , come and get them , your welcome
    S

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Pretty neat trick there!!! Almost like your going to harpoon the sky...and win !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7