POLITICAL MONKEY?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Brokor, Aug 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

logo_1_Political.
    I'm thinking about doing a rework on the banner.
    You know, since this is mainly why people seem to be here these days.

Motomom34, GOG, ColtCarbine and 3 others like this.
  2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Good and valid point.

In reality all the survival and preparedness tools, knowledge, and resources are pretty filled out to the point of vast and deep. Those who preceded us newbies really did an excellent job that way. Seems growth in those areas is incremental at best. That doesn't mean I don't spend the majority of my time on those subjects because my posts tend to be in the off topic areas. I also see politics as pertinent as they affect us and can be just as damaging as an earthquake, volcano, economic collapse, etc.. In fact, today's politics represent a grave threat to our economic viability.

mysterymet, Ura-Ki, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

All that is really leftover is to report on world events those things that may impact preparedness and personal freedoms.

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Sure are a whole lot of those things creeping around in and out of the shadows now days.

Idahoser, Lancer, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Probably the main reason I participate less than ever. There are a world of forums where people can bitch and moan about the world and every other member of the forum. There are ever changing aspects to all the core themes around survival that are worth revisiting and well as restating some of the ground covered before us. Unfortunately world events and the lost ability for civil discourse seems to taint almost every thread in some way. Another forum I am on has an absolute "No Religion and No Politics" rule, and while there is less activity the quality of information and interaction of members is quite refreshing. I am NOT proposing that here, fundamentally this forum has had that since day one but we generally treated each other with more respect and had less "shouting at clouds". Maybe that is just me though.

While this form is there when I click on it I will participate in some manner of course. I just honestly don't derive the satisfaction from it I use to.

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Guilty as charged

Will do better going forward...

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Probably the most guilty of all. Have reached the point in my life that my continuing to be here is a limited thing. It happens to us all in time so I can handle that. My preps will handle me the rest of my life, been doing it for 50 or so years, have all the proper toys, etc.

However while I may not have much faith in the way things are going in our country or the world, it is where my children and those who follow them will live. It is very difficult to just say God wills it and let it go. It would appear to me that some sort of well financed, highly cohesive group is trying to change the very system we live in. Changes have already occurred that remove many areas of the country and many individuals in this country from my daily life. While it might be futile, I find it difficult to just stand back and watch it happen. As is so often the case in real life we tend to try to convert people to our mind set. I could go to x site, be it liberal or not, but then you are preaching to the choir and it really has no meaning. I tend to think that by its very nature this site draws people who are both trying to survive and also hope for our way of life surviving. My background is both physical, although I no longer am able to do many things, and political. As such I spend a lot of time looking at various areas of the net and often come across things that are either crimes of omission or commission. It is difficult to watch an excellently scripted and well documented 2 hour show on NPR on how the whole era of reconstruction in the south was a national effort to keep the N**** down and in chains.

Perhaps it would be best for me to just drop it, I enjoy the prepping aspects of this forum and if people take offense of my political views, I will stop posting them.

snake6264 and Brokor like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm confused, a while ago, one of the staff suggested in not so nice terms, that all the survival topics we would ever need, had been widely covered here already, and that there would be no real additional useful information to be found, or added to! I took that as a challenge, cause, I'm an asshole deep down in side my insides somewhere! And now, your telling us we need to go back to survival and preparedness stuff, cool, Roger that!

Point is, today's bullshit IS survival, it is preparedness related, and if you have any sense of a future, these days are the last we will have before it's time to hunker down and get real serious, and use the accumulates found here on this sight! So which is it, past edicts, or present!

10. Brokor

I'm not aware of "who" may have told you that before, but we've got a staff discussion going back at least two years on the subject. I've been trying to come to terms with the increasingly high level of divisiveness within the political realm, and I saw all of this coming. I wanted to completely separate the political/current events part of the forum and heavily prune all threads older than 1 month, sending the pruned threads to an inferno type archive instead of deleting. But it got so desperate at one time, I wanted to just delete the whole section of the forum. We once had a very spirited team around here dedicated to promoting survival and we were constantly featuring threads in an attempt to draw more members in to the survival theme. It's sad to say, but we ended up failing to keep this forum headed in the same direction. Perhaps the defeatist message you mentioned about survival being covered already sprang from this period of time when we were all pretty much sickened at the thought that the Survival Monkey was forever gone.

Of course, as long as the archives remain, it's not really gone. Every once in a while I like to kick the hornets nest to see who is stirring.

Ura-Ki and snake6264 like this.
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I also think some of the current politics is heavily related to survival. Vax passes is a big one that comes to mind. Stuff like this is another aspect of survival that we must consider. I worry about that not just for myself and my husband but also for our son.

Capt. Tyree, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I used to visit daily now once a week maybe twice it's a problem

Brokor likes this.
  13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We were previously a fringe group interested in preparation and self sufficiency and survival of disasters.
    We didn't have political disasters as one of the boxes we had to check as there was no freaking way political ideology was going to be a large threat to our way/path : until recently.
    Society has become divided. Polarized.
    Politics has invaded our daily lives whether we wanted it or not.
    It has arrived at our tree in the form of rain, the tree has drawn it as we grow.
    c531ffef3d680283264f7365703a7a8a.

We are society. We are them that we worried about.
    I only wish that we can still have a civil discussion or at least be like the fractured family torn by splits in the church that decide to not talk about religion.
    But we know better. Someone is going to ruin Christmas again this year.

STANGF150, CraftyMofo, Brokor and 5 others like this.
  14. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

impact coming???

That language included a pilot program to begin working on a tax on miles driven for American commuters.

Proponents of the mileage tax argue that it would be an effective way to pay for America’s roads and other infrastructure needs by those who use them the most.

But civil liberty supporters have rightfully identified that the only way to properly enforce such a tax would be for the Federal government to track the movement of Americans wherever they drive their car to.

Such a program would almost certainly run into major 4th Amendment concerns, as the ability to track Americans’ driving habits would constitute one of the largest collection of personal habits ever conducted by the Federal government.

According to Forbes, the largest opposition to the program centers around these privacy concerns, as “the government could track citizens’ movements, including where and when they drive.”

Pelosi’s infrastructure bill is expected to be brought up for a vote in September, with several liberal Republicans in the U.S. Senate having already pledged their support alongside most Senate Democrats.

Nancy Pelosi Just Set a Deadline for Destroying the 4th Amendment

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Some wise insight here already. I too see political debate as a survival niche. If you don't recognize a threat when it's coming, you can't be prepared for it. I got plenty of warning here on the coming political/pandemic storm and managed to turn it to my advantage.

I see the Monkey as family. When family sits around the table to discuss politics it can cause friction, but we're still family. Lots of the discussions here would never be posted if it wasn't for the family atmosphere. We get far deeper in discussions of politics because of our survival orientation, and wander off in directions that I see nowhere else. I see the Monkey not as a gathering of strangers, but a meeting of family. Even the inevitable crazy uncle or two are welcome.

Like any discussion of politics at big family dinners, I can choose to participate in the discussion, sit at the kids table, or go outside for a smoke.

STANGF150, mysterymet, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

To a certain extent politics and the off topics areas are more important that they are at first glance. They are about camaraderie. Every group of people I've ever worked with formally or informally needs a certain amount of team building, and so we BS, tell jokes, and get together after work. It makes us stronger, more cohesive, and increases productivity.

Yes, the Monkey is work. I see my responsibilities as a member in this order:
    1. Learn - before I made my first post I spent a long time just reading through the information provided here, My first posts were shortly after @Yard Dart invited me on a different forum, but I had been mining information at least a year before that.
    2. Implement - apply the knowledge based on your environment and needs. This validates and tests the information'
    3. Give feedback - how well did it work? What failed and why? Give observations and share anything you did to accommodate your local environment/constraints or improvements you made or considered.
    4. Report new things - Inform others of anything you run across that could be helpful. This includes collaboration with new ideas as presented.
    5. Provide new content - this is the tough one. Out of all the topics that have been very well and competently covered is there anything new? Did you think far enough outside the box that you found something useful? Did you spot a flaw that can be improved?
    Note that the part where I add something new the Monkey is the last thing, and that doing so before I've done the others is not likely to provide something useful? That's the problem one member from urban Socal had. He shared ideas, many of which were not well thought out and for his effort was ridiculed.

No military experience, but I'd hate to be part of a group of people I had to trust my life to that didn't have any camaraderie.Ever work in a sterile environment? I bet your first thought at the end of the day was to forget it while you looked for a better job. You wanna kill the Monkey? That's the quickest way I can think of.

Excuse me for a moment. I feel a compelling urge to yell at clouds of tell a binch of kids to get off my lawn...

17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

In my opinion, Politics and how it affects us is part of Survival in the modern world, more important than how to build a fire without matches which can be taught in a 60 minute block of instruction while understanding the nuances of politics and its impact can take a lifetime. Today, politics can kill/hurt you as fast as not having fire, water or food.

As such, I will not change my approach to this forum. I enjoy the discussion on survival in all matters to include politics and many times I hear and learn extremely important things from this forum that I did not know pertaining specifically to politics. The last was today "About 18.75% of Mail In Ballots Missing in 2020 General Elections" and a few days ago was a rant from Lara Logan about Afghanistan on her Facebook (I don't do Facebook and I don't do other forums so how would I have known).

As far as why politics gets so much more playtime on this Survival forum is obvious, it changes daily as does its affect on our lives, our survival, as such, we must stay current to be able to respond correctly and timely.

This is the only forum I am registered and I try to frequent it daily because there is always something new that I have missed in the world that could either benefit me and mine or have adverse effects and - yeah - it's usually something political but that is the current state of affairs in the country/world we live.

My wife is a 3rd world immigrant to this country, been here 6 years now, and even she understands the importance of politics to our survival which is even more important here than her old country. Sounds strange but absolutely true. Understanding and knowing politics is survival in the 21st century.

I will leave quietly if the forum changes or, of course, I am asked to leave but I will not change as I like how it is now. It is the reason I remain.

SB21, duane, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I always thought we should start again. Back to the basics. We have lots of lurkers so let’s inspire them to join in and start prepping. Also with time I have learned there is a lot of stuff that I did or bought that was so wrong. I tire of politics; same shit, different day. In the end you are on your own. Know what is happening but keep your eye on the task.

SB21, Brokor, snake6264 and 6 others like this.
  19. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Why not confine any issues of politics to a category, and not allow it outside of that category?
    There might be a way to ignore posts on that channel. That way people who want to engage can continue to do so, and others can ignore and focus on the core areas of the site.

SB21, duane, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  20. Brokor

It's up to every member to select the destination forum for each thread. I'm stating the obvious, but I spend most of my time moving threads to the political forum because they've been started in the wrong area. Right now it isn't a huge problem, we've got staff on hand, but it does get a little tiresome. The thing is, I can see where this is all going. This isn't going to get any better, nor easier. Everything happening today will look like a picnic 10 years from now and so on. This is why I brought this up, I am not only pointing out what exists right now, but where this is headed. You folks have some good ideas, and I really like the feedback so far.
    Yes, "politics" and "Current Events" do factor in to everything SURVIVAL for a lot of people. The part I wanted to clarify is it's becoming increasingly inconsistent with normal, and it will only get worse. On a typical day, we will see 90 percent of the activity or more that only pertains to our social-political turmoil. Any of us can spend a few hours perusing the web among the countless sites and read all of what has been relayed here. There's nothing wrong with archiving important headlines and major political events here at the Monkey. However, when this turns into a hodgepodge political circus where every day it's the same thing, I start to wonder if we've lost our footing. The Survival Monkey isn't the Political Monkey, we've got one of the longest lasting forums on survival with a decent member base, and it wasn't politics that brought people here.

I'm certainly not trying to tell members what to do. I just wanted to point out something that has been seen as a problem for some time now. By all means post what you feel is important, within the guidelines of our CoC. Perhaps just bringing some awareness to this may help change things up a bit. For example, I would like to see at least one post about something directly survival related every day. I can hit up just about any political site or current events site for the social news updates.

SB21, GOG, duane and 5 others like this.
  1. Altoidfishfins
  2. Yard Dart
  3. chelloveck
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Bandit99
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. ghrit
    [IMG] Note the date.
    Thread by: ghrit, Jun 14, 2016, 2 replies, in forum: Politics