Popcorn

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Hanzo, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Who doesn't love popcorn?

I want to know how you make and eat yours.

Usually, I make popcorn in a kettle with coconut oil. After that, options are wide open. I almost always butter and salt mine as a base. Last night, I added Tajin.

In the past, I have made a spicy popcorn with chili pepper, cumin and turmeric on the base of butter and salt. Also topped it the local way with furikake and arare. I really like it topped with taegu. Anyway, you get the idea. All kinds of ways to enjoy it.

What are your favorite ways?

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Alanaana like this.
  2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I grow popcorn and keep it it the freezer, take it out pop it on the stove small amount of corn oil salt to taste and melted butter.

Alanaana, Ura-Ki, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Can't eat it, not that I don't like it... It doesn't like me...

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bummer

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I used to pop it every night. Orville Redenbacher popping oil in a pot with a Pyrex lid. I knew just how much corn to add to get the lid to just lift up as the last kernel popped, and just how to manage the stove to not burn it. Had to dump it into a big mixing bowl to shake it around with some theater butter salt. My diet changed and I haven't made it in years.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Try butter and regular parmesan shaker cheese that you put on pizza or spaghetti for something different.
    We've also taken the powdered cheese pack from Mac n cheese and sprinkled it on to make cheese popcorn. We learned this last century before they made all the off the shelf, custom flavor shakers.
    Now my favorite flavors are butter, extra butter, theater butter, extreme butter and Holy Crap that's a lot of butter. Usually with too much salt. And a half a roll of paper towels to wipe away the minute traces of butter and salt off of everything in the immediate area. Lol [pop] [beer]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Favorite is cooked in a big iron kettle over a wood fire with lard. Then dump into another container, lightly salt and sprinkle well with sugar.

8. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Butter and Sea Salt everyday if possible

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's a rare treat as I am no longer a carbivore, however my favorite way uses an air popper with melted butter drizzled and mixed as it falls into the bowl, then topped with grated Parmesan cheese and mixed again.

@Hanzo 's coconut oil method is intriguing and I bet it would give a softer chewier texture.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Theater popcorn used to be made with coconut oil. Then they said it was bad for you. Now they say it’s good for you. It just tastes good to me.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Natural fats are always healthier than artificial ones. Coconut oil is one of the very best. Since I switched to natural fats and minimal carbs, my blood panels come out perfect. I've also lost weight and my sensitivity to insulin has increased.

Most doctors and virtually all dieticians have no knowledge of what food really is and what the body does with it. They will keep pushing the high carb low fat diet forever even though it has created a new normal where people are obese diabetics.

Alanaana and Hanzo like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Growing up, I was always my mother's designated popcorn popper. Large saucepan with a lid, splash of oil in the bottom, with, as you said, just enough kernels to fill the pan. I'd swirl it around slowly, until the first kernels popped, then increase the motion, to keep from burning any. Good memory! :love:

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

I pop it in a pan on the stove in leftover bacon grease. Yeah, I know, probably not healthy, but it sure is good!

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sometimes I will do that and crumble crispy bacon on the popcorn too. Yeah!!

Horsegal and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7