Possible to build a shelter in place kit that is also a BOB?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Spicy McHaggis, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Monkey++

Greetings and salutations.

My apologies if this has been covered before, but I'm unable to find what I'm looking for using the search function.
    I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a Shelter in Place kit as well as a Bug Out kit for the family and I.
    With SO much information out there, I'm truly struggling to figure out how to build both a shelter in place kit as well as a BOB kit without duplicating many of the items, yet still making it a relatively quick to access kit - quick for use as both SIP and bugging out.
    I hope I'm clear with what I'm saying - I often can't even figure it out in my melon! :)

Anyhow, wondering if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts on one kit for both bugging out as well as sheltering in place?

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Check the Resources section of the board. Many good articles there about prepping for home or away.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Welcome Andy.

In my mind, the BOB contains the essentials that you (and your party) can reasonably carry. I would divide this into the categories of Bug out on Foot - carry the BOB and Bug out via transport (motor vehicle, horse or any other forms of transport.) Now I would further divide each of those into the categories of short term, 1 week or less, and mid range of 2 to 4 weeks, and the final as long term or permanent. I envision a 3-tiered BOB system.

As for sheltering in place, I would make sure I have essentials localized and protected for easy access but I also envision a cache that is within an access area but apart from my localized supplies. The cache would be more protected from the visual and would include not only supplies but also BOBs in the event in place sheltering became unable to sustain.

You can find lots of resources on our forum of what to include in BOBs (https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/bug-out-kit.85/#post-1417) . don't forget to check out the rules of three (https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/the-rule-of-threes.31577/#post-196816)

The link given are a good place to start but there are many other threads and bits of information that will help you design the tools you need.

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and BTPost like this.
  4. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Well, if you're sheltering in place then by definition you are staying put in your home. Your house is your main SIP kit. Thus, you wouldn't have a tent in an SIP kit since you have a house. You wouldn't need a sleeping bag or mattress since you have your bed. It should be fairly straightforward. If you're staying home then you would need food, water and probably a method to cook. You need to have some type of sanitation system, etc. etc. However, before you do anything you need to answer some questions in your head first...in other words, you need to plan.

Shelter in Place
    Under what conditions are you sheltering from? Is their still power? Is their still running water? Is their still heat? How long are you planning to shelter for? (this is perhaps the number one question to answer first as it determines the quantity of everything you decide you need)

Bug-out Bag
    How long do plan to bug out for? Again this is the number one question to answer first. For example, it is impossible to carry enough supplies in a bug-out bag to last you five years. Where will you go? How will you get there? Are you able to walk?

In my opinion you cannot have one kit for both scenarios since each scenario is vastly different in nature and purpose. Besides, if you're sheltering in place then the items in your BOB are available for use so why would you duplicate items in another separate kit? Your BOB would have some first aid supplies...you would have more in storage in your house. Your BOB would have some food...you would have more in storage in your house.

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I think the differences between the two can be minimised so that one could work for the other! Maybe having a " GO KIT" that is the only difference between the two concepts, all else stays the same! Does that make any sense?
    I'm my mind, the BOL/Shelter in place would have every thing needed no matter what, and the Bob/Ghb would contain only the things needed to effect a move to the Bob! Worse case, I can stock the Bob from the Bol and be gone in minuts!

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To greatly oversimplify, if you are to have both SIP and BOL "bags" it is probably worth considering three bags, one that stays home, one that hits the road, and one that will have the stuff you need in both cases. (If you are still on Kodiak, don't forget your Dramamine in the go bag.)

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Bury a waterproof tube with a cap as a cache.

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Flyboy, or Bluewater Coastie?

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Some cases a trailer might serve well if you've got transportation.
    If your on foot, a push cart might serve well to haul all your gear and your family tagging along.

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have a lights out kit in my home. This is what I would consider my shelter in place kit. It is a bin that is filled with stuff in case of power outage but it is also part of my bug out stuff. Make a list @Spicy McHaggis. Bug out/ Shelter in place. List out all you can think that you will need. You will start seeing duplicate items. These are the items that should be kit/bin/bag that is your go to.

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Monkey++

A little bit of both, but mostly a land lubber...haha! Retired Chief MST...prior ST in the very early 90's.

Thank you - I didn't see that section up there for some reason.

Thank you everyone for the awesome replies. You've given me a ton to think about and some other stuff to read. Super glad to have found this place!

Also, looks like I need to change my Location in my profile...! haha

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7