Possibly in the future a 300 Win mag

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Came across a 300 Win mag at a pawnshop I frequent. Interarms Mark X. Mauser 98 action. They only want $550 for it! I know that I need a 300 Win mag like the Titanic needs another hole in its hull but you never know.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If it's a traditional Mauser heavy long bbl that weighs 10 to 12 lb it should be nice to shoot.
    Put a silencer on it.

Gator 45/70, HK_User, duane and 2 others like this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

No doubt it's a Mauser action. Got to pull the bolt out and look. Where would you get a silencer for this?

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Cant go wrong with a .300 Win Mag, a good brake is a must on a light weight rifle! I have a few .300's the lightest was a SAKO FinnLite @ 6 pounds, and recoil was stiff, but the pad did a good job of soaking up the kick! My Mauser 98 is a solid 7 1/2 pounds, and because of the stock shape and fit, it feels like a .243 Win!

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Yep what you said. I have a couple older Rem 700s .300Win Mags a bit heavy at 9 pounds but easy on the recoil. Picked up a Rem 770 .300 wmag and figured at 8 1/4 pounds it would be good..... One of the junkiest rifles I have ever owned and kicks like a mule as a bonus.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Suppressors just might not be compatible with brakes.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Muzzle brakes suck.
    A 300 win mag might damage hearing with out a muzzle brake. With a muzzle brake it probably will damage hearing even with hearing protection.
    If you shoot it with out hearing protection with the brake on there you will only make that mistake once.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  8. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I have two Gemtech "The One" 30cal suppressors that are 300 Win Mag rated. It uses either a direct thread or quick on/off two lug flash hider/muzzle brake. I bought the second suppressor second hand for only $405 dollars shipped plus the $200 stamp. Although the flash hider/muzzle brakes usually cost right at $100 though.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Some units are designed where the muzzle brake stays in place and is part of the design and uses the double locking threads to mount the can solidly.
    Try one you'll like em.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah those are quick disconnect muzzel breaks.

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7