Presidential material?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Huntinbull, Jun 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Just a thought, but wasn't a Civil War fought a mere generation after the founders? The Constitution itself wasn't ratified by all the states for nearly 15 years after the revolution. The Bill of Rights wasn't added to the Constitution until 1791.

Exactly which "raw form" are you speaking of? Exactly when did people start trampling? Was it prior to the Civil War? To give you an example, James Madison lived until 1836 (one of the longest living Founders). Did the trampling start before after the Founders' deaths? The Supreme Court's Judicial Review wasn't understood until 1803- a majority of the Founders were still in politics during that time. Yet, we tout the SC as unconstitutionally making law at every decision. The Founders weren't in complete agreement on the issue, but they didn't start another revolution over what people today are calling "treasonous".

So, are we going with "raw form" at the 1787 creation date, or when the Bill of Rights was tacked on in 1791, or when the balance of powers was understood sometime after 1803, or after the Civil War solidified who was free after 1861, or after the Civil Rights movement established equality after 1968?

Do you think the Founders ever envisioned communications of today, international terrorism, or anyone that acts outside the social norms of 1776? Was homosexual marriage a concern for the Founders? What are we to do with the situations that aren't so explicit in the document? Are we to blind ourselves, intelligence wise, for the sake of potential misuse? That sounds great in theory, but what happens after a more organized enemy decides that the US looks like a great vacation spot and we don't have the ability to see or react to it. Should we minimize gov't by 75%? What is the right size? We could make it happen overnight, but what happens when no one oversees the interstate highway system? Our pothole filled drive from SC to WA turns into a 4 week endeavor. What happens when a criminal conducts an interstate crime? With no FBI, what state has jurisdiction? Not a big deal until someone in your family is killed by a serial killer that runs multiple states and there is NO agency to coordinate efforts. In 1776, there wasn't much need for police or other agencies, but what happens in 2012 when we draw down police forces to "avoid the police state"? Are Americans today the same as those of 1776? Respect for law creates order. Look at LA during the 1992 riots for an example of what happens when that respect is gone. If police disappeared tomorrow, would we see the same on a larger scale (let's face it, we are outnumbered in such a situation).

Complicated questions. I believe the document is sound too. Sometimes, though, its not as black and white as we wished it would be.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Terrorism is government sponsored. When we attempt to apply the philosophy of days past with the current, only those willing to see the simplicity in wisdom would not argue with reason. Here's what Andrew Jackson thought:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now."

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits."

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him."

"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive."
    "Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

"When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality."

"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others."

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
    "A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."

"The right of self-government does not comprehend the government of others."

"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for."

"If there is one principle more deeply rooted in the mind of every American, it is that we should have nothing to do with conquest."

“I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master.”
    Very true. And by studying those who cherished liberty and resisted tyranny gives us even more insight. Some people find it difficult to study history and use its template to learn about the present, but the few who have patience to see and possess the passion to self govern are rarely thrown off course by the habit of repeating the same mistakes. Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct answer.

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

98% of this ^ is a continued gross oversimplification of the situation. It takes a bit more than quoting men who loved Liberty out of context to apply to our situation. You quoted Andrew Jackson- the man that created the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Does the below quote seem a bit hollow in retrospect?
    "The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits."
    That is just one example. *gasp* tyranny amongst the "Liberty Patriots". I guess Indians weren't apart of the "free citizens" he was talking about. Can you imagine the response if Obama said tomorrow he was going to "relocate" the Tea Partiers? Everyone would be up in Arms. So what would the Indian think about "studying those who cherished liberty and resisted tyranny gives us even more insight." The Indian received less liberty from Jackson. Do I need to get on Jefferson and his love child from slave?

My point isn't that Andy Jackson wasn't a good man, he's a great Tennessean like me ;) The same is true for T. Jefferson. To say that slave and Indian issues don't apply because it was a different time, but today's issues are applicable to the "idea" then is gross injustice. Just as not everything was black and white during slavery and Indian affairs, not everything today is black and white. Is there a double standard we are supposed to live by that does not apply to the Founders? No. Everything is a shade of grey. Only a simpleton speaks in absolutes. My point is that even post-ratification, the details weren't worked out. That is the reason for the changes. The principles don't change, but the times do and so a strict-constructionist view is not helpful in that regard.

Another example- taxes. I know most think we should do away with all forms of taxation. Who pays an Army? Who makes roads? The reason I brought up homosexual marriage is because these complicated issues tie together. Its easy to say "do away with taxes". Its tougher to deal with the consequences of pirates without a Navy or roads with no money for repair. Ok- minimal taxing. Well, how much do people get taxed? Families? That brings us full circle to homosexual marriage. Can 2x non-gays elope in a civil union and avoid paying as much tax? There are repercussions to these questions and the simple cop out of "not the gov'ts business" may not settle all those repercussions.

The gov't exists to protect the weak. To say "self governance" and "bearing arms against tyranny" is going to stop the havenots from running all of you and yours is ridiculous. Its idealistic at best. Whats your grand theory for the mean time:
    "Me and teddy gonna have us a lynchin' "
    Who is in charge of that justice? Is it mob justice? Sounds good if you are on the right side of the law, but what happens if there is an accidental death? Let's say you cause it? Should we just string you up as well?

This individualistic application of "self governance" bullsh*t didn't apply in 1776 and doesn't apply now. That is the reason why a FEDERAL army was stood up. Because no one and no country plays by that idealistic rule. It amounts to some idealistic, hippie, commune way of living in harmony that simply doesn't work. It amazes me how someone can call the gov't and its people corrupt and in the same breath state that man without gov't would not be corrupt.... the common denominator is man. If man is involved, be prepared for selfishness.... with selfishness, there can never be "self governance" at an individual level.

(ETA: For clarity, the ^ refers to Brokor's continued misuse of the term "self governance" as a more individual philosophy and not a political / organizational one. As understood in the 1700s, "self governance" was the collective idea that we "vote our own destiny". Perhaps that is the danger in taking quotes out of context.)

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Cool. Not worth the effort.

Maybe that's the problem, too.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7