Preventing Dehydration

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by stg58, Feb 26, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

We visited a friend of the family in the hospital who had become ill and severely dehydrated she is on the way back but I talked to the doctor who stressed that dehydration among the young and old are a major cause of problems and over looked many times.

Know the Signs of Dehydration
    If you’re sick with diarrhea or vomiting, watch carefully for these signs of dehydration:

By the time these symptoms show up, however, dehydration may be well advanced. At the first sign of diarrhea or vomiting, begin replacing lost water and the essential salts called electrolytes.

How to Prevent Dehydration
    When you’re sick with diarrhea or vomiting, you lose fluid rapidly. So it’s important to take in as much fluid as you can. Drinking plenty of water is the top priority. The amount of water you need to replenish depends on how much is being lost.

People with certain medical conditions such as heart failure or incontinence may need to limit their fluid intake, so ask your doctor how much fluid you need to prevent dehydration when you’re sick.

If you’re nauseated, keeping fluids down may be difficult. “Try sipping small amounts of water as frequently as possible,” advises Joshua Evans, MD, a physician at Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit and an expert on dehydration. Sucking on ice or frozen Popsicles can help increase fluid intake.

Water rehydrates the body. “But water alone doesn’t replace the essential salts required by the body for fluid balance and other functions,” Evans says. Replacing these essential salts is crucial during a bout of diarrhea or vomiting. Most experts recommend drinking oral rehydration solutions.

Dehydration experts also recommend remove excess clothing and/or seeking shade or an air-conditioned shelter to keep your body cool.

Preventing Dehydration When You Have Diarrhea or Vomiting

Found these at Dollar Tree made in the USA no tax.
    Bulk Pediatric Electrolyte Grape Flavor with Zinc, 16.9 oz. at DollarTree.com
    Bulk Pediatric Electrolyte Fruit Flavor with Zinc, 19.9 oz. at DollarTree.com

Opinions on OTC drinks.
    Best and Worst Electrolyte Drinks

Some homemade drinks..
    Homemade Electrolyte Drink

A simple homemade electrolyte drink

oldawg, saltbush, UncleMorgan and 5 others like this.
  2. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Thanks @stg58, for this info.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey

4. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

My mother, An Old School Nurse, from the '30s, always told us Kids, "If you drink 2 Quarts of water, a day, you will ALWZYS be hydrated."........ and when we got sick, there was a Quart Bottle of water, next to our Beds, that must be refilled at least TWICE A DAY... AlaskaChick carried on that Policy, thru our Marrage, and our Children, do the same thing, with their Children... Generations of Good Health Practices....

arleigh, Brokor, UncleMorgan and 3 others like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Hydration is so important. Recovery from dehydration is not simple as just re-hydrating. It really makes one sick and it takes a while to recover.

stg58 and UncleMorgan like this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

stg58, UncleMorgan and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Monkey

I have always kept a couple of boxes of Emergen-C Products | Emergen-C on hand but it is good to know there are DIY alternatives.

stg58, AD1 and UncleMorgan like this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

I've had to drink in the neighborhood of 3 gallons a day before, due to heat and workload.

AD1 likes this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The art of avoiding dehydration is to drink frequently, even if not feeling like drinking at the time. If one waits until one is desperately thirsty, then hydration is seriously compromised already.

If undertaking hard physical activity in the company of others, then each person should buddy up with another person to ensure that hydration is being properly maintained . The group leader should also be watchful for any signs of dehydration, and have in place necessary resources and protocols to deal with cases of heat stroke / heat stress.

Good leadership can help by scheduling rest periods, and instituting disciplined drinking if necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Importance of Proper Hydration While Exercising

[​IMG]

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Water - It's What The Body Needs
    Soldiers often fail to drink enough water, especially when training in the heat. Water is an essential nutrient that is critical to reaching your best physical performance. It is also important for good health because it plays an important role in maintaining normal body temperature. The evaporation of sweat helps cool the body during exercise, so water lost through sweating must be replaced because lack of hydration can lead to poor performance and possible injury. Sweat consists primarily of water with small quantities of minerals like sodium. Cool, plain water is the best drink to use to replace the fluid lost as sweat. Experts recommend drinking water before, during, and after exercise to prevent dehydration and help enhance performance.

Sports drinks, which are usually simple carbohydrates (sugars) and electrolytes dissolved in water, are helpful under certain circumstances. There is evidence that solutions containing up to 10 percent carbohydrate will enter the blood fast enough to deliver additional glucose to the active muscles. Although this can improve endurance, there is no substitution for water.

During prolonged periods of strenuous exercise—1.5 hours or more—you can benefit from periodically drinking sports drinks with a concentration of 5 to 10 percent carbohydrate. Soldiers on extended road marches can also benefit from drinking these types of glucose-containing beverages. During intense training sports drinks can provide a source of carbohydrate for working muscles. On the other hand, drinks with more than 10 percent carbohydrate in them, like soda pops and most fruit juices, can lead to abdominal cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. Therefore, these drinks should be used with caution during intense endurance training and other similar activities.

Daily Water Requirements

Example for a 150 pound, active person:

Pounds of body weight:
    150lbs.

Water requirement from below:
    (75% of body weight for an active person): 112.5 oz.

Add for dryness of climate:
    +16 oz.

Add for strenuous exercise:
    + 16 oz.

Total per day:
    144.5 oz.

Divide by the number of hours you're awake to find your hourly water requirement:
    144.5/16 = 9 oz.
    Drink 50-75% of your body weight in ounces.
    Sedentary people: 50%; Active People: 75%

Hydration

11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

(UPDATED: My math was way off. It's now fixed.)

Back in 1947 or thereabouts Thor Heyerdahl wrote in Kon-Tiki about the effectiveness mixing two parts sea water with three parts fresh water to avoid dehydration. He said it was remarkably refreshing.

As a basic sodium-replenishing electrolyte solution, I can see how it would be.

If you're staggering around in the desert and would like to add a little seawater to your dwindling supplies of fresh, adding eight tablespoons of salt to a gallon of fresh water will give you a gallon of homemade sea water.

That's two tablespoons of salt per quart.

Then mix two quarts of "sea-water" with three quarts of fresh to make five quarts of the proper electrolyte solution.

Or, cut the recipe in half so you don't overfill your typical gallon jug: two tablespoons of salt plus five pints of fresh water.

Then yer good to go.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    saltbush, Yard Dart and stg58 like this.
  12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Too much can kill you though. See this part in my article

Drinking water is most times enough, but in extreme cases of dehydration too much water can kill you. Many people have died hiking in the Grand Canyon from “dehydration related causes” even though they had plenty of water. ( The National Park Service even warns about that on the Grand Canyon Page) How might that happen? HYPONATREMIA (water intoxication)

chelloveck likes this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Basically, too much water dilutes the electrolytes in your blood stream until it makes you loopy. I've an old friend that was trying a so called "water diet" that found that out the hard way.

AD1 likes this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

We have people die every year in the Grand Canyon due to this.

stg58 likes this.
  15. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

My father always said water is not good for you, look at what is does the bottom of ships..It was [sarc2]

Great input from all on an important subject IMHO.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. saltbush

saltbush Monkey

Tomato juice is a good backup along with that water in the hot dry weather. It seems to help the water get to where it needs to be to prevent heat stroke. I always recommend it to visitors to the Southwest who want to spend time outside and aren't accustomed to the climate. Some V8 will do too. I think it's one of the reasons that adding it to beer in hot weather prevents the dreaded beer headache, that can come on after only a couple of them, especially with American beer, I'm sad to say. If in the desert some summer, when it's 100 degrees indoors with no mod-cons and you really desire a refreshing beer, I recommend about a third of the beer glass to be tomato juice, then stay in the shade with it and that headache can be avoided. Why I know this shall, for the sake of the propriety required of ladies my age, be kept to myself.:)

Many people who are trying to conform to that popularly recommended 8 glasses of water a day complain that they spend too much time er......peeing it out and this can be particularly inconvenient for ladies out and about. The only way I've managed to persuade them to give the therapy a little more time is to compare their situation to that of a potted plant, which most of us seem to understand better than we do our internal organs. What happens when you water a plant that hasn't had any water in a long time and the soil is a bit receded from the edges of the pot? All the water runs right back out! It's simply too dry to absorb that water. But if you water again and again, a little at a time, the soil will be soft, evenly moist and the plant can take what it needs easily. It's the same case with us.

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Over watering a plant can kill it too. been there done that.

It is most important to know your body and what it's needs are.
    All the information about health, and not using it is a waste of time.
    Know you PH and blood pressure and pulse and biorhythm and learn what foods are best for your blood type, take note of what foods benefit you best ,and avoid those that you know are not beneficial.
    Junk food belongs in the trash .
    We live on living tissue,
    and dead tissue turns to sludge .
    Most of our health issues have to do with what we consume (dead tissue).
    A lot of animals live in arid places ,on little water, because they get it from the living things they eat.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
  1. azrancher
  2. Gator 45/70
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Gator 45/70, Oct 27, 2016, 24 replies, in forum: Survival Medicine
  3. Motomom34
  4. Ganado
    [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Ganado, Oct 3, 2016, 5 replies, in forum: Survival of the Fittest
  5. TXKajun
  6. Ura-Ki
  7. ColtCarbine
  8. ColtCarbine
  9. ColtCarbine
  10. AD1
  11. Legion489
  12. pearlselby
  13. Seacowboys
  14. Yard Dart
  15. HK_User
  16. Gopherman